Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 10:58   #1
BHPian

ICE implementation query

Hi Guys,

The set-up is as follows

1. HU - Sony CDX 810U - Front USB was prime criteria.
2. Front Speakers - Blau VC 132 comp, with tweeters on Front dash
3. Rear Speakers - Blau OD 693 co-axials & VC 100 Tweeters on rear roof
4. Sub-Woofer - Blau THC 1000D
5. Amplifiers - 5.1 Alpine 4chn MRP F550
5.2 Blau 2chn THC 275

At the moment, the Alpine 550 powers the Sub, Rear Coaxials & the rear tweeters. The Blau 275 powers the front component VC 132.

Am eager to derive the maximum output from this setup and seem to run out of ideas to stretch my thought process further.

Any help will be great.

The one issue i seemed to start out post set-up was that the distortion from the sub. On tuning the polarity a little, that seemed to reduce. Is there anything that I can still do to get the max out of this set-up.

The damping used in the car is Wuerth. Have stuck to Navinjee's advice and the doors, roof, undercarpet & trunk are done. Will be using the Dyamat Hoodliner for the hood soon.

Looking forward.
Old 28th December 2007, 14:54   #2
BHPian

Ice Installation query....

Can someone please help me with a more refined process to gain maximum output from my set-up, please.

With the passing of time, am also witnessing a drop in effeciency of the front Blau VC 132 components. These components dont seem to give out the clear vocals that they must push out - even with a THC 275 amp powering them. Is there something i am missing here.

Please assist in resolving this query.
Old 28th December 2007, 15:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Can someone please help me with a more refined process to gain maximum output from my set-up, please.

With the passing of time, am also witnessing a drop in effeciency of the front Blau VC 132 components. These components dont seem to give out the clear vocals that they must push out - even with a THC 275 amp powering them. Is there something i am missing here.

Please assist in resolving this query.
Everything mellows with the passage of time!

Where & when was the installation tuned? IMHO it is a matter of good tuning for you to get the max out of your setup - there is nothing inherently wrong with the hardware that you have. Your setup is treble-heavy, though (4 tweeters firing in the small cabin).

You said: "dont seem to give out the clear vocals that they must push out" - does that mean that you had not auditioned before buying those components? Or is it that you were amazed by their sound when you first bought them and now that has worn off?

* How are the tone controls set?
* Do you often change the tone settings (incl. changing from flat to Pop to Rock etc.)?
* What did you mean by "On tuning the polarity a little, that seemed to reduce"? What kind of distortion was it in the first place? Do you still have it, or has it completely gone away?

Perhaps you could meet up with the B-BHP guys like @bass&trouble, @moralfiber, etc. and they could check your tuning?
Old 28th December 2007, 15:49   #4
BHPian

@ DerAlte

The set-up was intiailly incorporated into the car with a High-end Blau HU ( Bremen 76 ).

Music output was world-class with the components in the front, the rear co-axials and just the HU.

Since the Bremen 76 was running on borrowed time (A shippee friend offered me to run it, until he gets home on shore and hence it was on borrowed time.), the SONY CDX unit replaced it as the HU and to the set-up was added two amps - one 4-chn & one 2-chn

Right after this, the agony begins.

The entire set-up has been tuned by AutoSonics ( Blau showroom in Bandra, BBay )

In th quest of getting that eternal finesse to my music, I can safely admit to changing the 3 stage - & band EQ - several times. Is this the cause of my heart-ache.?

The Alpine MRP F550 powers the Blau 10" open air sub. The distortion initially was a hsss sound combined with MDF rattle on higher volumes.

Will request time of a few fellow bhpians and have this tuninig examined for the desired output.

Having blown more than my complete budget for the ICE set-up, i have this buring urge to jus pick up a Bremen and slog through my wallet all over again - just for that exquisite music quality.

Worst case scenario - I can see that outcome approaching me in shere desparation.!!!

Till then......

Cheers,
Old 28th December 2007, 15:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Having blown more than my complete budget for the ICE set-up, i have this buring urge to jus pick up a Bremen and slog through my wallet all over again - just for that exquisite music quality.
Make sure it's tuned correctly before you get the Bremen. Even a Bremen with bad tuning can sound as horrible as you describe even though it is far superior to any Sony.
Old 28th December 2007, 16:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

[quote=SRShrikanth;670157
The Alpine MRP F550 powers the Blau 10" open air sub. The distortion initially was a hsss sound combined with MDF rattle on higher volumes.[/QUOTE]

the hsss might be due to poor cables or cabling, the MDF rattle is a poor installation. ask your installer to fix these.

next set all settings to flat.
LPF the 10" sub at 80Hz
HPF the front and rear at 63Hz
dont use any EQ.
see what happens then start tuning; slowly.
Old 28th December 2007, 16:05   #7
BHPian

Thank you Navinjee, B&T & DerAlte.

Will be spending my weekend, sorting out this weak end in my set-up.

If all personal attempts fail to impress my preconceived ears, which installer would you suggest i take my plea to.?

Would you suggest Panjak Bhai from FM drive might be of help.??

Look forward to sorting this issue ASAP.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:10   #8
BHPian

In gratitude....

My gratitude and salutations to the Gurus on-board.

As was discussed, I spent my weekend trying to solve the tuning issues in the installed ICE.

Having checked on the connections and with no real results - i went ahead and un-did the entire wiring and set upon myself to re-do the set-up all over again. Since, this was going to be DIY, and my first one at it - i was pre-warned by my better half that maybe it's not a gr8 idea.!!!

But all said-n-done, the sounds are enough to give me a high.

The problem of not feeling the power of my front comps was due to incorrect wiring, i suspect.

There seemed to me that a mismatch had happened earlier and my HU was powering the front comps and the Alpine 2-chn output was being lost in transition.

Now, the SUB, Rear 6x9 co-xials and the VC-100 tweeters in the rear are all powered by the Alpine F550 and the front comps are being powerd by BLAU THC 275.

Sounds good and clean.

Thank you, to everyone who has part of my small journey. cheers:

Cheers...
Old 31st December 2007, 12:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Shabash, Shrikanth, well done. You have achieved what most people do not dare - and done good.

ENJOOOOY!!! May 2008 and beyond be very musical to you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks