Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 23:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

The CarPC / Carputer Thread

Hi all.
for the benefit of fellow bhpians i have started my project as new thread.
purpose of this project-
make a car pc with local materials available easily.
get custom features than a standard dvd player for the same cost.
i am assemblying the whole thing in a prototype box to see feaseability study.
parts required-
1.a old pc(most of us will be having one to give away & no one wants to take it for free)
- motherboard of itx or mini itx prefered. micro atx size may be used if things are going to be in boot.
-any compatable processor
- all supporting parts of pc cpu.
2. a inverter( cost me 1650)
3.a suitable cabinet
4. gps receiver(4k) + software
5. obd interface & software.
6. game stations if u want.
will post pics & cost of all i have bought & made till now soon.

after struggling for two days with the old school aluminium box i have managed to complete the cpu. it is made to connect directly to a switched 12v power supply from car battery.
the box looks bit crude due to finish but serving the purpose as of now.
when i get a good looking very slim cabinet with a pci riser card will move all the stuff into it.
other components i had to buy-
leadtek tv tuner xp 200 global(2k) this is for fm reception & the remote has pc startup & shut down features. i found this very good, although could only see shut down feature working till now.
A track ball mouse (1.4k i think)
Usb extension cables.
Additional 230v power outlet to charge camcorder.

next major item is the display.
a touch screen basic monitor here starts at 11k+.
next option with vga input is a 7'' screen with total size of display side to side being 9''. cost 4500. how to fix it is what i am working out.
a headrest monitor costing rs5200 can also be used & mounted better but this requires a vga to rc video converter(rs1350). buying this converter has one advantage; a second display can be installed for rear passengers.
i will be pleased to receive support or information regarding obd support for baleno of 2000 make which is compatable with xp or me or win 95

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2008 at 13:21.
Old 20th December 2007, 18:05   #2
NIP
Senior - BHPian

nice man ! i'll stay tuned here...and wish you the very best of luck !
Old 20th December 2007, 22:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

here are some component photos-

Old 20th December 2007, 22:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Following this thread keenly. Keep up the good job. Lets see how this will come up :-)
Old 21st December 2007, 00:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

the prototype cpu case. i am not good at sheet metal work , so please excuse me for the finish. i am still looking out for the slim case which can accomodate all but stay below the seat.

Old 21st December 2007, 09:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent. Good luck and I hope you have followed the few other car pc threads we have on Team-BHP.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Purpose?

Maybe I am missing something here. They already have laptops. They already have Ipods. Exactly what is it you are doing that is unique? Perhaps it is an English/language problem but I still do not understand the purpose for doing this.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Maybe I am missing something here. They already have laptops. They already have Ipods. Exactly what is it you are doing that is unique? Perhaps it is an English/language problem but I still do not understand the purpose for doing this.
Everybody has a car stereo, so when somebody does a DIY install it has no purpose right? Everybody has a car. So if you buy a car there is nothing new, right. Whats the point you are trying to make??
Old 21st December 2007, 10:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh !! Finally a new thread on your DIY project .. I will be following this keenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
i will be pleased to receive support or information regarding obd support for baleno of 2000 make which is compatable with xp or me or win 95
Before investing in a OBDII interface, check if you can borrow one and test it in your car. Couple of people here on the forum have bought and the interface failed to work on Baleno.. It sounds greek and latin to me, but they said PID's of Baleno's ECU are different.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post544029

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...tml#post455027

Also, DC to AC power inverter is a bad idea.. Inverters tend to generate heat and placing them so close to the MB isn't going to help. Check if you can source a DC-DC SMPS

Last edited by spadival : 21st December 2007 at 11:05.
Old 21st December 2007, 11:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Everybody has a car stereo, so when somebody does a DIY install it has no purpose right? Everybody has a car. So if you buy a car there is nothing new, right. Whats the point you are trying to make??
I have asked a question, not tried to make a point. The question was for a clarification of the purpose of this endeavor. I am looking for amplification, not criticism from an over-zealous moderator.
Old 21st December 2007, 11:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have asked a question, not tried to make a point. The question was for a clarification of the purpose of this endeavor. I am looking for amplification, not criticism from an over-zealous moderator.
No criticism was either implied or intended, I merely asked a question too!
Old 21st December 2007, 12:06   #12
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
maybe he has a laptop and maybe an ipod. but what he's trying to build here is a car pc. how confusing can that be !? and where's the comparison !??
Old 21st December 2007, 12:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No criticism was either implied or intended, I merely asked a question too!
I am someone who can barely get their plate numbers screwed on to their vehicle. I am the guy they put the WARNING: YOU MAY ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF labels on the backs of things.

GIGY, if you can spare a moment...for a complete non-techy...if what you are trying to do is make your own low cost box then I salute you...I can not do it, for sure. I hope my previous post did not insult YOU but in fact, I was just trying to understand what you are doing.

"How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
None! That is a hardware problem."
Old 21st December 2007, 12:31   #14
BHPian

A suggestion Gigy, you are using a normal desktop Hard Disk here and that too without any damping to protect it from shocks and jerks. I am not too sure about it as it will fail sooner or later. My suggestion is to add some shock proofing to it by using rubber or foam sheets. If possible, try to get hold of a Laptop HDD as it is designed to absorb some amount of shocks and jerks.

I will be following this thread closely. Keep us updated :-)
Old 21st December 2007, 12:44   #15
BHPian

Hello gigy,

Good going on the DIY, more power to you !

The case is a good effort, what motherboard & cpu are you using with it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
The baleno is reported to be incompaitable with ELM based scantools. In case you want a ELM 327 based scantool to try out / test with your baleno, send me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
Also, DC to AC power inverter is a bad idea.. Inverters tend to generate heat and placing them so close to the MB isn't going to help. Check if you can source a DC-DC SMPS
. You will also require additional cooling, maybe 2 fans in a push-pull configuration depending on your case design. Not to mention the inverter won't survive engine cranks and does not have a shutdown controller. A DC-DC PSU would be a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
It sounds greek and latin to me, but they said PID's of Baleno's ECU are different.
Here's a head's up on the PID's, OBD-II PID's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks