Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2008, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Amp Power Control with Engine.

Hi all,

Hope every one are doing fine in the Forum. And A very Happy new Year to you all to start with . Posting after long time.

I just wanted to know if there is any kind of mechanism associated with turning on/off the Amp when the engine is started/shutdown (with ignition) . My drive was to turn off Amp to protect the battery from draining when engine is off. By the way I don't have an Amp right now, but just wanted to clear my doubt.
Old 8th January 2008, 14:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

KM, there is a small slot called "REM" on the amp, near + and ground. A small wire is generally run through the ignition till this slot. This takes care of the problem.
Old 8th January 2008, 15:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by km120 View Post
I just wanted to know if there is any kind of mechanism associated with turning on/off the Amp when the engine is started/shutdown (with ignition) .
Yes there is. Like Panky pointed out, there is a remote connection on the amp. The amp switches off when there is no power to this terminal.

The power to this terminal is usually provided by the turn-on wire that comes from the head unit. This line carries power when the head unit is on and thus switches the amp on, and similarly powers down when off.

So, if you switch off the head unit before switching off ignition, the amp will be off. Head units are also mostly wired to receive power when the ignition is in 'acc' position only. In this case, when you turn off the ignition, the head unit powers off, and as a result so does the amp.
Old 8th January 2008, 15:28   #4
BANNED

HU turns on when the key is in ACC position, so does the amp after your turn on the HU. this is your usual setup.
Some people like to wire it to the ignition - don't know why - because the engine is still off unless you crank it.

However, i noticed this my car's defogger - it does not turn on when the the key is in ACC or ignition - it will only turn on when the engine is running.

KM - Why do you want this? - a better suggestion would be to get used to turning the HU on and off everytime you run or stop the car. i never used to turn it off, but now i do before turning the car off.
Old 8th January 2008, 16:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
KM, there is a small slot called "REM" on the amp, near + and ground. A small wire is generally run through the ignition till this slot. This takes care of the problem.

This sounds more logical to me. Thanks for that Panky. But this again raises me another question, that if the mechanism which u explained come built-in with cars ( currents versions ) or do we need to install them.
Old 8th January 2008, 16:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
bass&trouble : The power to this terminal is usually provided by the turn-on wire that comes from the head unit. This line carries power when the head unit is on and thus switches the amp on, and similarly powers down when off.
I am sorry B&T but we currently follow this procedure and what I intended to know was Pranks reply exactly. Anyway thanks for the good info.

Quote:
saintsinner : However, i noticed this my car's defogger - it does not turn on when the the key is in ACC or ignition - it will only turn on when the engine is running.
Wow that's a cool car man. Which one do u own. Does all the new models has this setup ?

Quote:
KM - Why do you want this? - a better suggestion would be to get used to turning the HU on and off everytime you run or stop the car. i never used to turn it off, but now i do before turning the car off.
After facing few bad situations I was forced to ask this question. Right now I don't have Amp. But Hoping to install one soon. My cousins play the system when it is parked ( engine shutdown but key set to on) obviously draining the battery . I just thought what would be the situation if I install an amp. I can't say anything or avoid giving keys to them. Well I am happy, atleast they promised me not to start the engine at any cost. Thank you SS.
Old 8th January 2008, 17:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by km120 View Post
I am sorry B&T but we currently follow this procedure and what I intended to know was Pranks reply exactly. Anyway thanks for the good info.
I dont think I understood your question when I first read it, now I know what you mean. "Pranks" sure has answered it correctly.

Another option could be to have a switch in the remote line that you could turn off when you dont want people to listen to music with the engine off.
Old 8th January 2008, 18:54   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I dont think I understood your question when I first read it, now I know what you mean. "Pranks" sure has answered it correctly.

Another option could be to have a switch in the remote line that you could turn off when you dont want people to listen to music with the engine off.
Or he can connect the remote turn on for the amp to engine on - like in the defogger - this means that with the car on he will only be playing the HU connected speakers and with the engine on he will be running the amp too.

Btw, What amp is this? My Sony 554 runs for 2 hours engine off, pretty loud and still the car starts, stock battery which has been used a lot - 6 fog lamps, 2 strobes and philps diamond vision lamps.

My car is an Accent. What car are you planning for? Maybe someone would have the detailed wiring config.

Tell us the car and the desired setup
Old 8th January 2008, 23:52   #9
BHPian

U Got Me now Bass&Trouble .Thanks again for the info. Yup, I'll try to do that.

Hey SaintSinner my car is M800, so can't expect much out of it. I picked up from this forum that amp need lots of power and possibly drains the battery if played more than 10-20 mins while engine is off . And the car needs a push to start.
Old 9th January 2008, 02:48   #10
BANNED

need to get some wiring diagrams and stuff, or if you are ok putting a switch in between that will be fine.
Battery draining out will also depend upon your amp.
Do you know any good installer in bangalore? he will know just what to do in your case.
Old 9th January 2008, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

battery drains when music is played at loud volumes for long (while engine off), most likely in a situation of multiple high RMS amps with multiple or LBM like subwoofer(s) ;-). With a M800 stock battery and amp like sony etc, dont worry. nothing's gonna happen.
Old 9th January 2008, 11:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
battery drains when music is played at loud volumes for long (while engine off), most likely in a situation of multiple high RMS amps with multiple or LBM like subwoofer(s) ;-). With a M800 stock battery and amp like sony etc, dont worry. nothing's gonna happen.
Never play your setup for long durations with engine off !!!!
Old 9th January 2008, 12:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
6 fog lamps, 2 strobes and philps diamond vision lamps.
you keep your lights on when the car is off? if not then your lights are running while the battery is being charged.
Old 9th January 2008, 12:45   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
you keep your lights on when the car is off? if not then your lights are running while the battery is being charged.
Yes sir, i only turn them on when the engine is running. with the new ICE setup i prefer not to use any fog lamps. strobes were never used anyway.

i wanted to ask this, when i turn on headlamps and fog lamps, there is change in the engine sound. what does this refer to?
Old 10th January 2008, 09:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Yes sir, i only turn them on when the engine is running. with the new ICE setup i prefer not to use any fog lamps. strobes were never used anyway.

i wanted to ask this, when i turn on headlamps and fog lamps, there is change in the engine sound. what does this refer to?
The engine (or rather the Engine Management ECU) is adapting to the higher alternator load situation by increasing the idling RPM slightly. (I don't think you can make out the difference in sound when you are actually driving - even then the ECU increases injection a wee bit to adapt).

The same should happen when AC cuts in - conversely the RPM reduces when the AC cuts out. Accompanied by the condenser fan (electrical fan in almost all the cases nowadays) sound, this sound difference is very apparent at idling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks