Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 10:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

DDiS - Diesel Dancing iLLusion Style: WIP

Hey!

First off, dont expect the final result/pics too soon as the work+vitamin M equation is very skewed. On the equipment front only the HU purchase is pending. Details of the rest you will have at the time of install

Stage I : Damping / Deadening

Material - Noisekill (Adhesive+Butyl rubber+Foil) if Im not mistaken. Bass&Trouble sent me approximately 40sqft.

I think a Swift at the very least would need about 60sq ft. For a serious job the sky would be the limit.

So anyway I spent a couple of hours yesterday at Raven's place to get this into gear. With the help of his installer to strip the doorpads and cut up the material.

The material is extremely easy to work with but be prepared to get your hands a little dirty. Initially I just cut out large strips and pasted them on the inner surface area not bothering with precise measurements or cutting. So the driver door might need a little more work. for the harder to reach places.

After completing the inside panel we traced an outline of the door frame and cut out the bits to let the wiring harness/speaker ring etc come through. This second layer was only used on the front doors and not the rear.

Iv still got a bit of material left to do the wheel arches. Also at the time the drivers are going in I will damp their surroundings a little better.

Unfortunately I dont have too many pics. My hands got really mucky partly due to the rubber but mostly because I discovered the maruti guys and treated my doors to anti-corrosion/rust treatment too!

Thats it for now. Hopefully will have some sounds in a week or two.
Old 12th January 2008, 15:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Anirudh,Snowflake suzie is getting pimped in stages eh, When do we get to see Suzie and audition her ?

Whats the cost, per sq. feet for the damping material mate ?
Old 12th January 2008, 15:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think it is 150 Rs/sqft
Old 12th January 2008, 18:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
When do we get to see Suzie and audition her ?
Whats the cost, per sq. feet for the damping material mate ?
Rj, hope to have the audio done in a week or two. Keeping it simple with a front stage running off a 4 channel and maybe a sub.

Vit. M for HU+Install is pending. LBM is right about the price. It costs Rs150/sq ft and B&T can source it if you require.

Apparently my photography skills arent good enough so Snowflake will pose for your lenses anytime your up for it!
Old 12th January 2008, 18:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did it solve your rattling issue?
Old 12th January 2008, 18:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ported, Iv no rattling issues as such and hopefully it stays that way!

Idea here is to eliminate road noise which creeps into the cabin pretty easily. The 2nd layer of damping on the inner door panel also doubles as a protection against rattles developing if any.

A simple knock-test shows the effectiveness of the damping as compared to the undamped doors. The front doors especially shut with a re-assuring thud vs the normal tinny sounding clink.
Old 12th January 2008, 20:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yup, went to check sa1nik's car today, and seems to have made a difference. The doors seem meatier and the sheet metal seems thicker. Now it really feels solid. Like a Palio.
Old 12th January 2008, 22:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice work with the damping... BTW, what ICE are u gettin??
Old 12th January 2008, 22:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Nice work with the damping... BTW, what ICE are u gettin??
Front - Illusion LM
Amp - GTO 75.4

Well thats it for now and he plans to get a 6050UB, later on when vitamin M permits he will get a sub. Currently he is saving for the Petes box so doesnot want to waste on ice-baraf *running from ICE section to Indian Car Scene*
Old 17th February 2008, 23:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Stage 2 : ICE'ing !

Equipment :
Alpine 9830 HU (Loaner from v1p3r)
Illusion LM 6.1 Components
JBL GTO75.4 Amplifier
Blaupunkt Basstube (Loaner from v1p3r)
8ga Scosche Amplifier Wiring Kit & RCA's
Swift Diesel OEM wiring harness.

Noisekill Damping (done earlier).

Finally Iv gone ahead and mated Ajay's mid-base with Mr.Kapsi's amplY. The marriage was conducted by none other than T-Bhps resident pimpmeister BlueRaven316 at his store EVO in Bangalore.

The plan was just to have only a front stage, ie: comps running till the time comes for me to add the Subwoofer.

During the course of the install Binz & v1p3r decided to drop by and it so happened that they had a bass tube on them that was not being used and v1p3r insist I take it

Damping had already been done earlier so it was mostly the task of getting the wiring through the panels which proves a slightly difficult task in the front door as there is minimal space.

The Lucent spider houses its terminals on either side and a regular 6.5" ring will not accomodate the driver without a little shaving. Something that one needs to watch out for while installing the midbass. I gave Ajay a call to check on that and also the crossover terminals as it offered Bi-amping terminals which Im not familiar with.

Raven's boys worked tirelessly into the night to finish the install and it was close to midnight by the time we shut shop and took off for dinner.

Not too many great pics or WIP pics but this isnt the final rig just as yet. Will have some additions in a few weeks hopefully

Big props to Sam, Gunbir, Navin, Blueraven, B&T, LBM, JKdas, v1p3r, Zak and so many others who have directly or indirectly helped in some manner.

Impressions :

When the system first got turned on there was such an insane amount of brightness that my Bangkok walla sunglasses showed signs of cracking. This of course was thanks to the 9830. Iv never used an Alpine before and still havent got my way around it. This seems incredibly bright compared to Pioneers I have owned in the past.

Looks wise I have been a huge fan of Alpine eight from the casette era. I prefer the simpler, minimal looks compared to the Pioneer UFO type displays until last year.

Now coming to Ajay's mid-base powered by Sam, im very very impressed with these fella's. I dont need to say anything regarding the 75.4 since its a legend in its own right.

The Lucent's are a tad pricey and I will be honest, Iv not heard too many expensive speaker setups to compare or comment. I will admit though to moonlighting as an amateur audiophile and these drivers are pretty darned orgasmic wrt anything Iv heard in a while.

Along with the damping it is putting out some serious mid-bass thats best described as a a nice succulent juicy kebab! (Butter chicken for some, Omlettes for others, Kebabs for me !)

The bass tube has been turned to 0 for now as Iv not had time to fine tune and boot rattles/damping is yet to be completed. Frankly just the damped front doors+comps suit me just fine.
Old 17th February 2008, 23:30   #11
BHPian

congrats soldier! i hope you've used good quality solder on the wire!
Old 17th February 2008, 23:48   #12
BHPian

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Old 17th February 2008, 23:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, s0uljah! Good to see you did not compromise on the fronts at all!

And it is good to see the alphanumeric reptile making some solid contributions to the ICE Scene

PS: Don't return the HU. Swap it for 5 Burgers
Old 18th February 2008, 00:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh atlast Souljha Boi is ready to CrankDat. Nice and clean setup man very very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
PS: Don't return the HU. Swap it for 5 Burgers
psst psst add 5 more burgers and keep the basstube too
Old 18th February 2008, 00:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

woo souljha.. congrats bro great install and lovely sets of equipments.. must be sounding too good and loud.. cheers man... real rocking

Ramie

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks