Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 10:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Yaar they are just promoting there product thats it. They dont know a single thing about ICE. Just boom and chik only.
Old 24th January 2008, 12:30   #47
JPL
BHPian

Ice News

B`lore evolving gen-next in-car audio systems
Old 24th January 2008, 13:41   #48
BHPian

^ Quote:
Quote:
The Digital Audio group at NXP India is working on two technologies — memory card readers and Bluetooth. The card readers will be able to read any type of audio file (from mobile handsets to i-pods) and transfer the data to the car audio system. Similarly, Bluetooth is being employed for music file transfer between two players.
Wow... seriously next generation. Sorry I meant "gen-next" - that's the more hip phrase to use right?

Why don't we actually do something smart like integrate Solid state hard drives into HUs which can play FLAC?
Old 24th January 2008, 16:33   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Why don't we actually do something smart like integrate Solid state hard drives into HUs which can play FLAC?
see Rockbox, it might help.
Old 24th January 2008, 16:54   #50
BHPian

Unfortunately Rockbox doens't make firmware for my ancient Creative Zen Xtra... anyway, that's besides the point. I meant to stress more on solid state hard drives, not FLAC.
Old 24th January 2008, 20:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Not many know that the firmware of a lot of HUs have been done in Bangalore for more than 12 years now.
Old 24th January 2008, 21:43   #52

Hi

Thanks for the Pics
Old 25th January 2008, 17:07   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
I heard the Blaunpunkt car.
Very bad sounding. Total clipping system.
Yes, thanks to the 3 midbasses, the upfront bass was good. But what fun is bass if the system is clipping madly?
clipping? it was shouting out for help. lol
Old 25th January 2008, 21:38   #54
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not many know that the firmware of a lot of HUs have been done in Bangalore for more than 12 years now.
DerAlte do you know how to access the firmware menu on any head units? is it possible? has anyone tried this?

When in college and trying to watch TV I used to keep pressing the buttons on the remote akin to combo buttons on the playstation and discovered a firmware menu on the TV and not only I increased the volume level on the TV but also got bass and treble options on the standard menu, though the bass and treble settings did not work...

Edit: The menu on the TV used to show up as a "Service Menu" ..is there a sort of this menu on head units used by service people..

Last edited by JPL : 25th January 2008 at 21:47.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:25   #55
BHPian

^ excellent question! Even cell phones have these.
Old 26th January 2008, 09:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
DerAlte do you know how to access the firmware menu on any head units? is it possible? has anyone tried this? ...

Edit: The menu on the TV used to show up as a "Service Menu" ..is there a sort of this menu on head units used by service people..
Yes and no.

Access to service functionality is very limited via the keys (none via the remote), limited to quick & dirty service checks (accumulated error codes and such). Nothing useful there.

The main service access is via serial port (connected to the controller IC) and service tool. Don't expect much there either, since the serviceability is limited to accessing the configuration data (the firmware is mask-ROMed as no changes are expected) about CD drive parameters (like Panasonic, Phillips or Samsung drive), timing data etc. If you try changing any of those, you will land up doing harm.

ALL the significant user-settable parts are anyway brought into the user menus - so what would you want to change internally anyhow?

The engine ECU, on the other hand, has a lot of possibilities that have to do with engine performance. Normally one keeps those parameters in the middle of the band in the interest of emissions, NVH and engine life. Tweaks to THOSE are legend!
Old 26th January 2008, 12:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

playing with the firmware is a risky game. Having personally harming few MB and DVD drives in the process like this.
Old 26th January 2008, 14:28   #58
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
playing with the firmware is a risky game. Having personally harming few MB and DVD drives in the process like this.
Yup I know. I screwed the colour,brightness and contrast settings to achieve something better then the standard settings and well the result was ..not worth mentioning hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yes and no.

Access to service functionality is very limited via the keys (none via the remote), limited to quick & dirty service checks (accumulated error codes and such). Nothing useful there.

The main service access is via serial port (connected to the controller IC) and service tool. Don't expect much there either, since the serviceability is limited to accessing the configuration data (the firmware is mask-ROMed as no changes are expected) about CD drive parameters (like Panasonic, Phillips or Samsung drive), timing data etc. If you try changing any of those, you will land up doing harm.

ALL the significant user-settable parts are anyway brought into the user menus - so what would you want to change internally anyhow?

Well I was thinking just like I saw the service menu on the TV and if something like this were to appear on the Hu and I could perhaps unlock the pandora's box to have access to TA, para eq etc..

The engine ECU, on the other hand, has a lot of possibilities that have to do with engine performance. Normally one keeps those parameters in the middle of the band in the interest of emissions, NVH and engine life. Tweaks to THOSE are legend!
Thank you for the neat reply though, at least my mind can now rest since I have thought about this..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks