Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 17:47   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Got your point. But AFAIK, there is a function in ALL iPods that can "Enable Disk Use" which basically makes your iPod as an external HDD. I have enabled this function in my iTunes software. In this case, my iPod shows up in My Computer as "External Disk Drive" similar to when I attach a USB flash disk. (i.e. without additional driver installation)

Although I am not sure how this is relevant to the context of Pioneer. Any thoughts?

I have never used an ipod but since my Nokia 5700 Express has a similar option but its in the phone, whether you want it as a Data Transfer(mass storage) or do you wan it to work with the PC Suite software. If i select Data transfer then it works as a flash drive when connected to the USB port of the computer and a drive letter appears in My Computer window. Hence if its an option in the ipod itself to work as a mass storage device(flash drive) then it should definetly detect as a flash drive with the Pioneer 5050/6050 and you should be able to browse with the HU to the folders within it.

Again when i say "option within the ipod" means the firmware of the ipod should have that option.

Last edited by tush : 9th April 2008 at 17:49.
Old 9th April 2008, 18:44   #77
BHPian

Take Pioneer's compatibility with "Mass Storage Devices" with a pinch of salt. I tried using my phone (Nokia E50) in Data Transfer mode, and it didn't work. I am yet to get the USB to work with anything other than my pen drive!

So far:
What works: Pen drive (8GB)
What doesn't work: Creative Zen Xtra (40GB), Microsoft Zune (4GB), Nokia E50 (1GB).
Old 9th April 2008, 19:26   #78
BHPian

USB Mass Storage

Do the other MP3 players that you mentioned show up as drives in Windows or do they have to use special software to load the songs in them?
Most car stereos with a USB port will require the USB drives to be Windows compatible with no drivers required or else then the option to use the AUX In remains if present on the HU.

Probably this could be the problem is my guess.
• The HU may be only supporting the standard USB-memory disc which is approved by Microsoft.
• USB MP3 player is ideally not a standard which means different brand name or different models have their own standard. So the HU would not support any or every USB MP3 Player.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

MP3 player that I have (no-brand chinese player), shows up as mass storage device on Windows and Linux without any driver or tweaking.

But Pioneer HUs did not detect that on USB at dealer's place. Looks like Pioneer cut corners in implementing USB part of HU.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:20   #80
BHPian

at times i use my old ipod shuffle with 5050..and it works like a charm...reads the id3 tags as if iam using a USB drive...
BTW on the lighter note...guys the USB thingie is dirt cheap these days..bot a 4gb kingston drive for 600 bucks...so why bang r heads against which thing is compatible and what is not!!
Old 10th April 2008, 13:50   #81
BHPian

^because it's an additional expense for someone who already owns an iPod. And as far as I can tell, iPod integration is better than with USB pen drives. For example, The former actually allows you to use playlists on the HU, while you can't do that with pen drives.

But yes, it's better VFM to buy a pen drive than that Pioneer adapter Nishant is talking about.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:55   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^because it's an additional expense for someone who already owns an iPod. And as far as I can tell, iPod integration is better than with USB pen drives. For example, The former actually allows you to use playlists on the HU, while you can't do that with pen drives.

But yes, it's better VFM to buy a pen drive than that Pioneer adapter Nishant is talking about.
ya agree...you loose the playlist feature !!
But i read in some forums how to create playlists in a pendrive
Old 10th April 2008, 14:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post

please share that.
would be useful to me and others
Old 10th April 2008, 17:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
please share that.
would be useful to me and others
hahhaha...coudn't complete it...AND IT DIDNT WORK
Old 10th April 2008, 23:35   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
I didnt find much info about creating playlist in pendrive but i guess the following website has loads of information about this topic but its again creating the playlist in mp3 player SD card however we can try the same for pendrive and check if it works with the HU.

Need help with making playlists!
Old 11th April 2008, 00:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

even i have a old sony mp3 player that my friend got for me from malasia. when i connect it to my pc it shows up as a mass storage device. but when connected to the HU via the usb cable ( pio 5050) it doesnt recognize it at all. i dont understand why.
Old 11th April 2008, 06:49   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
even i have a old sony mp3 player that my friend got for me from malasia. when i connect it to my pc it shows up as a mass storage device. but when connected to the HU via the usb cable ( pio 5050) it doesnt recognize it at all. i dont understand why.
If u get a chance then check it on a Sony HU with USB. Because Sony stuff is very proprietory, would work with its own products most of the times.
Old 16th April 2008, 18:52   #88

Pioneer 5050, will it read my external Disk?

Will Pioneer 5050 read an external HDD with say 80 odd GB.. suppose it has the Power also coming from USB. Could not really find much information from the Pioneer manual or from the HDD vendors...

Mods: please move/ point if any such threads exist
Old 16th April 2008, 19:13   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeks View Post
Will Pioneer 5050 read an external HDD with say 80 odd GB.. suppose it has the Power also coming from USB. Could not really find much information from the Pioneer manual or from the HDD vendors...

Mods: please move/ point if any such threads exist
a 2.5inch laptop hdd in a USB enclosure will work perfect with the 5050.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

It did not work with Laptop HDD and a Chinese no-brand MP3 player I tried. Tested it at a dealer's place.

Same HU worked just fine with USB Key.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks