Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2008, 14:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Chalo till then we will wait..
Old 3rd February 2008, 16:17   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Since you mention that the noise vanishes when you run the sub using the rear pre-out, this has something to do with the head unit's subwoofer pre-out . Show a good technician please.
this is what lead me to believe that the pre out RCA might have got hit in transit and caused a loose solder on the PCB. In our days they used to screw th RCA to the back panel but today the RCAs are soldered directly to the PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I need to know - The noise - is it a Krrr krrrr, gssss gssss, prrp prrrp or a klick klick.
Johy, the sounds Sam are refering to might have nothing to do with audio. ;-)
Old 4th February 2008, 20:34   #33
BHPian

Update: El-Chepo solution?

Well folks, today morning I called the Clarion Distributor for India in Delhi (Supreme Audiotronics Pvt. Ltd. @ 11-25791140) to direct me to the nearest authorized service center and hey presto they tell me there is a center in Siliguri. I get to that place first thing and after the technical spent a greater part of one hour on the HU, checking for loose solder, etc., concludes he can't find anything wrong. What he does is removes the solder for the preouts and resolders them. Anyways.

So this evening I take my car to the installer to try out the resoldered HU and no luck! Same old scratchy sound.

Then he says let me try one last thing, gets this El-Chepo "Chicago 5-band in dash graphic equalizer with line driver" and connects the sub's RCAs via this gadget and OMG the scratchy sound is gone!! He says the gadget is working as a "filter." Any ideas folks how to explain this? I am dumbstruck. Thinking of going ahead and ordering a better equalizer for the same task, not for any equalizing functions, but really for the filtering.

I don't want to go back to the Pioneer 5850 HU after listening to this Clarion.

So is this the solution (pic below). Alternatives?

Edit: ImageShack seems to be acting up, not able to post a pic of the Chicago eq.

Last edited by johy : 4th February 2008 at 20:36.
Old 4th February 2008, 21:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

When connecting the Chicago, are you sure he used the sub output of the head unit to connect to the input of the equalizer? Or did he use some other output like front/ rear?

Anyway, try using a ground loop isolator before jumping into an equalizer.
Old 4th February 2008, 21:11   #35
BHPian

Ajay ji,

I am sure he used the violet preout for the sub from the HU. I cross-checked by increasing/decreasing the Sub volume from the HU (which does not increase/decrease when using the front/rear preout). Also, the installer turned off the Eq function on the Chicago Eq, but kept it powered on -- and the scratchy sound was not there (both with and without Eq function on).

Please tell me what an Ground Loop Isolater is.

The very first day of install, the installer did use a "filter" which looked somewhat like this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/120089.jpg

It did not help. Is the ground loop isolator different from a so-called filter?

Last edited by johy : 4th February 2008 at 21:14.
Old 4th February 2008, 21:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^

What you have posted is indeed a ground loop isolator.

Let me get back to you tomorrow on this. Will ask around if anyone else with Clarion head units ever faced a problem like this.
Old 4th February 2008, 21:22   #37
BHPian

Okies, but the one I saw said "filter," and not "ground loop isolator." Look forward to your input. Also, will specifically ask the installer if he has a thing sold by the name "ground loop isolator."
Old 4th February 2008, 22:16   #38
BHPian

Ajay, after upgrading from the Pio 5750 to the Clarion DXZ775USB, i did face the problem of hissing and clicks while using the horn, the problem surfaced in the speakers & not the sub. It was infuriating.

The installer tried everything and yet the problem persisted. All the options mentioned here were tried out. Even i'd read about noise suppressors/ ground isolators and thought that the isolator was my only hope. But then, as a last resort, we changed the RCA's and presto, the clicks & hisses were gone.

Funnily, the same RCA's were in use with my previous HU and the problem never arose. Just a change in HU and this is what hit me. Anyways, as they say, alls well that ends well.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th February 2008, 22:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Johy I think try what St.Anger is saying maybe it might help.
Old 5th February 2008, 07:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Ajay, after upgrading from the Pio 5750 to the Clarion DXZ775USB, i did face the problem of hissing and clicks while using the horn, the problem surfaced in the speakers & not the sub. It was infuriating.

The installer tried everything and yet the problem persisted. All the options mentioned here were tried out. Even i'd read about noise suppressors/ ground isolators and thought that the isolator was my only hope. But then, as a last resort, we changed the RCA's and presto, the clicks & hisses were gone.

Funnily, the same RCA's were in use with my previous HU and the problem never arose. Just a change in HU and this is what hit me. Anyways, as they say, alls well that ends well.

Hope this helps.

Wow St. Anger, your problems seem so very identical to mine!

Please tell me which RCAs you were using previously and which ones you changed to. I am using a Scosche now and the reason we did not try changing the RCAs was that these are good ones. Still, I can try some other ones and see.

The preouts of the Clarion are all high voltage (5.6 volts if I am not mistaken). Maybe that is the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Johy I think try what St.Anger is saying maybe it might help.
Hope it works - will try it today.
Old 5th February 2008, 10:03   #41
BHPian

I was using RCA's by Kicker. Funnily, though the sub RCA was the same, though an older series, that particular one remained unaffected. Am currently running two RCA's of unknown parentage but my problem's solved.

Am going to test them out again today as one opinion i got is that sometimes a particular RCA might not be compatible(didn't know that RCA's had compatibility issues) still, am doing up an uncle's marina today and plan to continue with those RCA's if they work fine.

Will report back tonight.

My hunch is that the HU is fine, the source lies elsewhere. Meanwhile, try lowering the gains on the subwoofer and see if that has any effect.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
The preouts of the Clarion are all high voltage (5.6 volts if I am not mistaken). Maybe that is the reason?
No this cant be the reason.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:21   #43
BHPian

@Thanks LBM.

@St. Anger and B&T Tried changing the RCAs to Earthquake. Tried the Ground Loop Isolator - no luck :-(

Seems I have to go for an equalizer now. I have the option of taking the Chicago one. Any other suggestions?
Old 5th February 2008, 13:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh for God's sake. Why would you buy a nice HU and connect it to a Chicago equalizer.
Johy, I am afraid I simply cannot allow you to do this. There has to be another way around this.
Old 5th February 2008, 14:53   #45
BHPian

I know Sam, I am just frustrated. The Chicago Eq is an insult to the HU.

My options:

1) Live with the scratchy sound (you can barely hear it with the music playing) - but just that thought it is there drives me crazy.

2) Get it repaired (seems unlikely)

3) Dump this HU and get a new SQ HU. Can't live with the old Pio 5850 now.

4) Any other solutions? An Alpine Equalizer? Or a Kicker? Or a Clarion?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks