Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 12:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
LOL see the images & let me know
*Gulp*, you need a new box all right. Do consider the cost of getting a new box for the current sub vs. the cost getting a new entry-level JBL sub & a box. A bit extra spent (after selling the current sub & box) will give a whole lot more return here IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I honestly don't see a 3-way setup with Electras sounding phenomenally better than a 2-way setup using Electras.
All I meant was, if you have to do "jugaad", do it with better equipment!
I tend to agree with vikram18 here. The current amp is indeed a limitation. Perhaps, once you 'convert' your current 4" comps to 6.5" comps the smartest option maybe to sell the Sony Amp & the 6x9s & get a good 4-ch amp. This would indeed be an easy-to-do setup, and would sound quite good.

You can perhaps keep the 4" Electra midbass with you if you want to try the 4-way setup later, or you can use it for rear fill.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your honest opinions

See I have always believed in the saying that I heard here i.e. Audio is a journey & I am enjoying mine with each upgrade that goes in & enjoying it for a while before upgrading again :-)

So as most of you have suggested I will Stick with following for this upgrade

Quote:
  • New HU - Clarion DXZ 785 USB (TA, 24bit DAC, USB, better pre-outs, soundstage )
  • pair of 6/6.5 inch Woofers at front door
  • Damping of Front Doors
  • New Sub box(Only if the diff is noticeable & to my liking)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrashok
*Gulp*, you need a new box all right. Do consider the cost of getting a new box for the current sub vs. the cost getting a new entry-level JBL sub & a box. A bit extra spent (after selling the current sub & box) will give a whole lot more return here IMHO
Thanks Anup but somehow I am really happy with the way my sub sounds right now, may be that's my taste(A few guys also said that it somehow sounds better than what one would expect from this combo), and that's why I have mentioned that I will change the sub box only if it makes a substantial difference.

But yes next upgrade would be Amp &/or sub

Damn I am already loosing my sleep over this upgrade & its still half a month away :(
Old 12th April 2009, 15:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Alright guys, After all this discussion on 3-way /2 - way. Finally got my upgrade done yesterday.

I will let the pictures do the talking

Taking measurement for Front Mid bass.

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0003_1.jpg

One MDF ring done other in Progress

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0005_1.jpg

One door done

Name:  IMG_0007_1.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  94.0 KB

Damping time

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0012_1.jpg

Door Damped

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0024_1.jpg

Panel damped

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0019_1.jpg

Final Placement of Speakers

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0021_1.jpg
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0026_1.jpg
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0022_1.jpg

Presenting the star of the Show :P

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0028_1.jpg
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0030_1.jpg
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0031_1.jpg
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0036_1.jpg

Setting up TA

Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass-img_0035_1.jpg

I must thank Ajay & Shafiq for their patience as we had some issues, for one the legendary Sony amp decided to play dhaba music from left channel so we had to get it to a Dhaba to get it fixed :P

Anyways coming back to the review of the HU. The biggest difference at first instance was the absence of the annoying alternator whine. Next was the clarity of the sound which is very clean, pure sound no extra noises & I can hear the instruments more clearly.

I must admit I was so used to the extra dhinchak that the Pioneer adds(Loved my old HU too) so initially the sound was somewhat bland but after a few hours of listening(on my way back to Pune) the clarity of clarion has bowled me. I would though still want to see what Preset/EQ options this HU has

Thanks Frank & Nishant because of whom I bought this HU :-)
My basic requirment was not for an SQ HU but just a HU with USB support & feature list similar to the outgoing Pioneer & the Clarion has all this plus lot more.

Haven't got time to play much around but I have got acquainted with most of the controls. Yet to figure out how to change folders with remote & yes need to buy a pen Drive too.

Overall I am quite happy with the results

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th April 2009 at 15:53.
Old 12th April 2009, 17:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the upgrade ..

And Ajay Bhai looks slim what happened ...recession ka effect.
Old 12th April 2009, 18:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

congratulations tech! i wanted to come join you'll yesterday but was too lazy to leave. hope you're enjoying the double upgrade. anyways upgrading to a 6.5" setup from 4" was a big bump up. the clarion is even BIGGER! enjoy. and treat nishant & me for mentioning the hu to you!
Old 12th April 2009, 21:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new HU! Post some more pics and feedback on it. I'm planning to upgrade to it too - waiting to catch a good deal.
The midbass install looks very neat. Very nice speakers these are.
Enjoy the music
Old 12th April 2009, 22:01   #67
BHPian

Congrats on the new setup techno!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errr... what exactly is a 'phaser', @shrivz?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Yup, by phaser I meant the phaser effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
What?
Pardon my terrible communication skills, but basically what I meant to say was that I felt that there was cancellation of sorts on some frequencies in the lower mid-range which was noticeable on some tracks.

However, I dropped the crossover point a little lower, somewhere between 400 ~ 500Hz and that problem seems to have disappeared.

Am I making any sense?
Old 12th April 2009, 22:58   #68
BHPian

Congrats Techno. Demo kabh ?
Old 13th April 2009, 02:33   #69
BHPian

Want a demo ASAP. Did you change the subwoofer enclosure?
Old 13th April 2009, 11:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
And Ajay Bhai looks slim what happened ...recession ka effect.
Illusion ka effect.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

@lbm: Thanks Phajji

@Frank: Well the installed finished at almost 9 at night as the amp fixing took lot of time. Yes I will Treat you & Nishant next time I am in Mumbai or if you guys land up in Pune

@razor: Thanks man, These are the only pics. The sound is clear & beautiful for the first time on my way to office I didnt ming signals & slow traffic & was grinning from ear to ear even with the crappy mp3s that I have :-)

Shrivz, Amey & Vikram lets meet any weekday in evening this week, please get your SQ CDs along else you will have to listen to what I have

Vikram - The sub is same & thanks to TA the integration is smooth & while it might not be the best its doing its job for now.

Some more listening experiences -

- I hear new instruments on the same tracks which I have heard 100s of times

- The TA works like a charm

- One of my Cousins who auditioned it (he is one of those who dont like loud music) was completely in awe as he didnt mind the sound even at higher volumes & was almost zapped to see how sound varies at each listening position (he like me is new to TA)

- The display is difficult to read in sunlight but so was the case with my PIO

- The display is very nice otherwise, displays most of the necessary information, it even has s racing car as screen saver :P

Audio Controls

- The HU has good features & most of the regular used ones are easy to reach & set

- The controls are at gear level in Alto so its quite easy to use them

- No option to change folders on remote, this is something I dont like as I prefer to use remote more than HU controls as I fiddle a lot with tracks & settings(sub volume, changing tracks etc)

- The remote is not as omni directional as Pio's it needs to be pointed towards the HU

- I am yet to figure out EQ presets but now I dont think I would need them :P

- Using USB is a breeze. I can now have so many songs without having to change CDs(got a 4 Gb pen drive for now)

Not sure if this is a good SQ system or not as I am not an Audiophile but this upgrade has surely made a world of a difference for me, thanks everyone for all the advise on this thread :-)
Old 13th April 2009, 11:57   #72
BHPian

Congrats on the upgrade buddy.
How much did the HU cost you?
Old 13th April 2009, 12:22   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, the HU cost was $140 from Amazon.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks, the HU cost was $140 from Amazon.
friend, does that also include shipping?
Old 13th April 2009, 13:28   #75
Team-BHP Support

I dont see any tweeters

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks