Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2008, 19:39   #1
BHPian

Urgent Help Required - Sub Enclosure

Hi,

I have a TS-W304F Pioneer Sub. I used it with a large Band pass enclosure. One of the installation guy advised me to go for smaller Ported box and I opened and ruined my box. After putting it on a smaller ported box (2Cu ft) I have lost the punch in the sub. I anyway can't do anything about my older box, but have another box made.

Gurus: Please help me with the most suitable box for this sub. Size and drawing will be very helpful. If any of you are using this sub, please advice........

Thanks in advance,
Manoj
Old 10th February 2008, 20:00   #2
BHPian

hi manoj, as for as i know the TS-W304F sub is a free air one will perform better in a IB setup, gurus please correct me if i am wrong
Old 10th February 2008, 20:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

2 cft ported is NOT a small box. Also, the sub is a free-air sub so it would do best in an IB install (parcel tray in your WagonR). The bandpass box was a better option maybe - don't know where you got the dimensions, since you say the new ported box is smaller.

The specs page (Pioneer USA - Champion Series) says "Low-Q Design for use in Small Sealed Box (1.2 cubic foot recommended)" if you want a sealed box. The size of the ported box would also be close to it. The bandpass box would be at least 1.7 times that.

Since there are no T-S parameters mentioned in the product link, even LBM would not be able to design a box for you. Or, come to think of it, he just MIGHT have the T-S params or a suitable box recommendation.

The ported and the band-pass go louder watt for watt as compared to the sealed box, but do lack definition (part your "punch").

What amp are you driving it with? The specs say 300W nominal, 600W peak - so it would definitely warrant a good mono-block with a sealed box.

A quick and dirty solution would be to reduce the ported box's internal volume on an experimental basis. Simply add some bricks, check if the "punch" improves. At the point that the sound improves, count the bricks, subtract that from 2cft (if your ported box is indeed 2 cft - better double-check internal dimensions).
Old 11th February 2008, 10:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
2 cft ported is NOT a small box. Also, the sub is a free-air sub so it would do best in an IB install (parcel tray in your WagonR). The bandpass box was a better option maybe - don't know where you got the dimensions, since you say the new ported box is smaller.

The specs page (Pioneer USA - Champion Series) says "Low-Q Design for use in Small Sealed Box (1.2 cubic foot recommended)" if you want a sealed box. The size of the ported box would also be close to it. The bandpass box would be at least 1.7 times that.

Since there are no T-S parameters mentioned in the product link, even LBM would not be able to design a box for you. Or, come to think of it, he just MIGHT have the T-S params or a suitable box recommendation.

The ported and the band-pass go louder watt for watt as compared to the sealed box, but do lack definition (part your "punch").

What amp are you driving it with? The specs say 300W nominal, 600W peak - so it would definitely warrant a good mono-block with a sealed box.

A quick and dirty solution would be to reduce the ported box's internal volume on an experimental basis. Simply add some bricks, check if the "punch" improves. At the point that the sound improves, count the bricks, subtract that from 2cft (if your ported box is indeed 2 cft - better double-check internal dimensions).
Thanks, I would love to get a box designed by LBM I am running on GTA 480 amp with 2 chsnnel bridged to my sub. The output is supposed to be 75*4 RMS
Old 11th February 2008, 11:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

I suspect that the ported box is not too small but too large for your needs. A smaller box would introduce a peak in the bass response and give you the punch you desire.

Manoj, there are a number of freeware softwares (Boxplot, Box design, etc...) that will calculate the optimum size of the box for you.

I suspect that the kick you expereinced from the band pass box was a "one-note" kick. This sort of kick sounds impressive at first and many even enjoy it but it is not an accurate representation of bass. Still if you do enjoy the added punch why not try reducing the internal volume of the box by adding a few bricks like suggested by Der Alte. If it helps, great. if not we will still be around to help.
Old 11th February 2008, 11:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here are the specs.

Rest coming up shortly

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 11th February 2008 at 11:33.
Old 11th February 2008, 15:08   #7
BHPian

Thanks to all the Gurus to help me out with this. The problem is solved. I got back the same depth, in fact better depth. The box is 1.2 Cuft ported one and not 2

The problem was the RC output on the HU was loose, therefore the whining sound...... The guy just removed it and put it back and lo the sub started thundering again No whining now.....
Old 11th February 2008, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Thanks to all the Gurus to help me out with this. The problem is solved. I got back the same depth, in fact better depth. The box is 1.2 Cuft ported one and not 2

The problem was the RC output on the HU was loose, therefore the whining sound...... The guy just removed it and put it back and lo the sub started thundering again No whining now.....
Good to hear that your problem is solved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks