Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 21:45   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Besides, you own a 4050. How is the SQ when you hook up the iPod to it?
I do not have an iPoD. What I have is a normal USB stick with an inbuilt FM radio and audio recorder. Without the batteries, it is a simple usb stick. I put all the songs I want into the stick, plug it into the cable, put the cable + stick into one of the holes in the dash (where it is not thrown around), and it plays fine. On the HU, the MP3 thingy I have is simple another memory media, just like a CD.

I am not sure how and what advantage an iPod has over this. (I never bothered with an iPod, coz. it is known to be unfriendly to the OS on my computers - GNU/Linux.)

In this set up, what will count most is the quality of the MP3 file. MP3 is a very lossy format, so you may loose some frequencies. When played through the HU, the sound is better than listening to the in built ear phones of the mP3 player - which themselves are better than the sony and phillips audio component CD players I have. I believe tha SQ will not be affected simply because it is played through a USB cable.
Old 18th March 2008, 21:46   #32
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure myself, but I think the Ipod will also connect through the AUX input. I connect my pen-drive through the USB input.
Old 18th March 2008, 21:59   #33
BANNED

@ Backseatdriver - Thanks for the details. All I need to know is that a 4050UB has iPod connectivity, with no difference in SQ when the iPod's connected.
Old 18th March 2008, 22:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You should also consider JVC - given some features mentioned in other threads. They did seem vfm when I was shopping around for a HU. But do not remember seeing one with USB. (I was not searching for a USB HU initially).
JVC HU with Front USB and AUX costs 4.5 - 5k.
Welcome to JVC India
Old 18th March 2008, 22:32   #35
BANNED

Wow. Suddenly, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Old 19th March 2008, 08:50   #36
BHPian

my .05 paise...

just installed a pio 5050 and it runs the i pod (5th gen video) directly from the hu. so the toggle on hu works like the scroll wheel on the ipod.

the sq is dependent on what is being played - higher bit rate mp3's (as well as aac files i think) play gorgeously on the setup but you can tell a badly encoded number in a flash.

hope it helps!
Old 19th March 2008, 10:04   #37
BHPian

can anyone give me site details of pioneer India??
Old 19th March 2008, 10:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
can anyone give me site details of pioneer India??
http://www.pioneer-india.in/
Old 19th March 2008, 13:15   #39
BHPian

Thanx ABHI

whats the price of DVH-P5950MP??any one using this please give your comments
Old 19th March 2008, 19:38   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
just installed a pio 5050 and it runs the i pod (5th gen video) directly from the hu. so the toggle on hu works like the scroll wheel on the ipod
I'm assuming you purchased it without a b&w. How much did it cost ya'?
Is the HU toggle (that acts as the iPod scroll wheel) available in the Pio 4050 and 4950 too?

What iPod-compatible Kenwood 1DIN HUs are available that are priced around 5K? Like Pioneer, do they sell them without b&w?

Last edited by luvjascha : 19th March 2008 at 19:47.
Old 19th March 2008, 21:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
I'm assuming you purchased it without a b&w. How much did it cost ya'?
Is the HU toggle (that acts as the iPod scroll wheel) available in the Pio 4050 and 4950 too?

What iPod-compatible Kenwood 1DIN HUs are available that are priced around 5K? Like Pioneer, do they sell them without b&w?
you my dear friend are assuming absolutely right!!

yup - it cost me 5800 without b&w. i'm sticking my neck out a bit here, but if memory serves me right, the toggle's becoming a regular feature on all the hu's. not sure about running the ipod off these two directly though.

i'd be very surprised if kenwood didn't sell without b&w, but i may be mistaken. the gurus should be able to elaborate.

cheers. cheers:
Old 19th March 2008, 22:19   #42
BANNED

@luv - looks like you are not satisfied with something? Feel free to ask something like "can I do X with my iPoD?" and I will look it up in my owner's manual. Allow me three days time this time - tom and day after afre holidays, and if I am found using the computer, wifey is going to bite my head off!!
Old 19th March 2008, 22:20   #43
BANNED

@bite the bullet : What were some other models you considered while shopping around, and what made you go with the Pioneer 5050?
Did you also look at the Pio 4050 and 4950?
Old 19th March 2008, 22:40   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@luv - looks like you are not satisfied with something? Feel free to ask something like "can I do X with my iPoD?" and I will look it up in my owner's manual
That's nice of you. All I am curious to know is, if there are any major differences in the way an iPod is connected to the HU, and if selection of songs can be made directly off the HU.
Old 19th March 2008, 22:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
@bite the bullet : What were some other models you considered while shopping around, and what made you go with the Pioneer 5050?
Did you also look at the Pio 4050 and 4950?
the pio 7950 was the other option and was almost sold on it as a hu. the alpines were way out of my reach and any of them that controlled the pod were stratospheric in cost. blaupunkt hu's didn't quite live up to the mark aesthetically. didn't want kenwood as my palio has run a kenwood hu for the past 5 years.

the pio's as hu's are really special on this forum and are spoken of lovingly all the time. as far as the 5050 went, i demoed it with a whole bunch of stuff IN my car during the install and for the price point - the sound and convenience was magic.

the most important aspect of my requirements was that i did not want to fiddle with fm transmitters etc on the pod - which i had done in the palio. so this was just god sent. also having listened to a lot of people in the ICE section, the 7950 might have developed problems in the motorised faceplate in due course of time. i did not look at the 4950/4050 because

1. the installer didn't have either handy
2. i was sold on the 5050 in 15 secs...

hope this helps dude.

cheers cheers:

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 19th March 2008 at 22:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks