Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 20:36   #1
BHPian

"Random Play" and Pioneer HUs

Ok I am about to shoot somebody. When you put a pioneer HU on "Random mode" then it is only random to the extent that once a song has played through then the next song will be random. But if you change the song yourself by pressing >> (right arrow) , then it just goes to the next track in the folder (not random at all). If you press ^ (up arrow) it goes to the next folder in the list (again not random at all).

This is infuriating!!!!!! Especially since even the simplest 1000 rupee mp3 player can do this, and my 9K+ HU can't.

Is there a workaround for this? I have tried going through the options as well as the manual and nothing. Googling it, I landed on another forum and someone said that if you held >> (right arrow) down then it would go to a random track. But when I tried it, it only fastforwarded within the track it was playing.

Someone else suggested putting a corrupt file as the first file of each folder. That way it would be forced to go to the next song at random. I am yet to try it, but it's not a pleasant solution. Plus I imagine this would imply that there would be a pause changing tracks.

help!!!
Old 1st March 2008, 09:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
This is infuriating!!!!
Sometimes we land up doing it to ourselves. Internal reason, not external at all!

Quote:
Ok I am about to shoot somebody. When you put a pioneer HU on "Random mode" ... (again not random at all).
Shoot yourself first! You are expecting a human brain to be in that HU - and not even applying your own!

Hello, the HU is doing EXACTLY as it is supposed to. You ask for "Next Track" and expect a random track to be selected? You ask for "Next Folder" and expect a random folder to be selected? You select Random, and you expect HU to do its job even when YOU finger the scheme and do something unexpected?

What you want is the functionality "SKIP" (skip whatever is currently being played).
Quote:
Someone else suggested putting a corrupt file as the first file of each folder. ...
Alas, we are limited to 2 smilies! :(

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st March 2008 at 09:33.
Old 1st March 2008, 10:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hello, the HU is doing EXACTLY as it is supposed to. You ask for "Next Track" and expect a random track to be selected? You ask for "Next Folder" and expect a random folder to be selected? You select Random, and you expect HU to do its job even when YOU finger the scheme and do something unexpected?
Completely disagree. The HU is doing "EXACTLY as it is supposed to" from the point of view of some twisted Pioneer engineers, not how 99% of people and mp3 players think / work. If you look at any mp3 player that has a "Random" (a.k.a. "shuffle") function you will see that once you turn random on, next track means next random track and not next track in order. In fact you need not even limit yourself to physical mp3 players, just look into your favourite mp3 player software (winamp etc.) and you will see what I see holds true for everything except Pioneer HUs. (I can't speak for other brand HUs though). This is the first time I have come across such a stupid design for a mp3 player (HU), and considering how much I paid for it, I am very disappointed (especially since it can't even handle playlists as discussed elsewhere). I mean if I wanted the next track in order, hell, I wouldn't have random on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What you want is the functionality "SKIP" (skip whatever is currently being played).
No, what "Skip" does is play 10 seconds of each track till you settle on the song you want to listen to and press "Skip" again. (This is also how this feature works in radio/tuner functionality). "Skip" has got nothing to do with which order the songs are played in.

As for the "corrupt" file bit - let me clarify. I think what the person on the other forum meant was that you put an empty mp3 file at the start of the folder (after all the HU has to recognize it as a mp3 file) and that way when you press ^ (Up) and it plays the first track (i.e. the "empty" track) it plays through it instantaneously and then selects a random track to play next. Theoretically, this should work well, apart from the annoyance of having to put this file in 40+ folders manually. Am going to try it in a bit and will report back.

Last edited by vebmetal : 1st March 2008 at 10:41.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Ok, the blank file bit works excellent!!! I created a file 0000.mp3 that will get placed at the start of each folder, and is 0 bytes in size. The HU immediately "plays" it and promptly skips over to the next track (which is actually random). So yipee to that!

But how do I get this file into 158 folders!!! (not 40 folders, but 158 - I forgot about subdirectories for albums).
Old 1st March 2008, 12:06   #5
BHPian

Copy the file, then select all folders (not subdirectories) and paste.

Repeat for subdirectories.
Old 1st March 2008, 12:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Assuming that I: is the USB drive, and c:\dir\00000.mp3 is the file to be copied:

Open command prompt:

Quote:
C:\>i:
I:\>cd \
I:\>for /D /R %1 in (.) do copy c:\dir\00000.mp3 %1
Old 1st March 2008, 12:57   #7
BHPian

^ tried doing that, worked for some but for most it didn't. Here's an example of what it gave me:

G:\>copy g:\00000.mp3 G:\Radiohead\Pablo Honey\.
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
Old 1st March 2008, 13:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its due to space in directory name :(

Try

Quote:
C:\>i:
I:\>cd \
I:\>for /D /R %1 in (.) do copy c:\dir\00000.mp3 "%1"
that should work
Old 1st March 2008, 15:14   #9
BHPian

Perfect!!! Thank You!!
Old 1st March 2008, 15:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Cool.

OT : Which HU is this? And how much did you pay for it?

I will be buying HU + Speakers for my car when I get some free time, hopefully in next 2 weeks.
Old 1st March 2008, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Cool.

OT : Which HU is this? And how much did you pay for it?

I will be buying HU + Speakers for my car when I get some free time, hopefully in next 2 weeks.
Its Pioneer 6050 he bought it for Rs. 9350.
Old 1st March 2008, 17:10   #12
BHPian

Hindsight being 20/20, I recommend getting the 5050 as it is better VFM than the 6050. (Unless of course you want a good display).
Old 1st March 2008, 22:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am a newbie in terms of ICE... is 6050 same as this one : eBay India: PIONEER CAR CD MP3 WMA PLAYER DEH 6950MP (item 290209588501 end time 03-Mar-2008 16:34:33 IST) ?
Old 1st March 2008, 23:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
No that is not same as 6050.

This is 6050

More info on 6050 on Pioneer India website:
DEH-P6050UB
Old 2nd March 2008, 10:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for Pioneer India link.

3090 seems to have all I am looking for:

DEH-3090UB

By any chance, would you know approx price for this HU?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks