Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 10:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Monster or Coat Hanger, which is better?

A foolish question, right. How can you even compare monster cable with a coat hanger.
Well an engineer did not think it to be absurd.
They tried to find out of "audiophiles" could make out the difference when the cabling used was monster, as compared to using coat hangers as the cabling.
The summary
Audiophiles can't tell the difference between Monster Cable and coat hangers - Engadget
The article at boing boing
Do coat hangers sound as good as Monster cables? - Boing Boing
The original consumerist article
Experiments: Do Coat Hangers Sound As Good Monster Cables?

But its not that coat hangers do not have drawbacks
From the article
Quote:
Of course, a coat hanger doesn't have a Monster Cable lifetime warranty, so if your coat hanger breaks, you'll have to go out and buy another coat hanger.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th March 2008 at 10:55.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

before checking the theory or their experiment, I would like to check their sample "audiophiles"

One doesn't become an audiophile by self proclamation or by the ability to buy high end equipment or so called audiophile CDs.

No wonder audiophile has become a four letter word.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

1. No one is stopping anyone from using coat hangers or for that matter lamp cord
2. my sister (yes my sister) will tell you she can her the differences between Belden Silver and Belden copper so coat hangers are a long way off.
3.the writer does not say how long these sessions were but he does mention in a later post that his hearing drops down 3db at 8K and he cant hear anything above 11K (his wife however can hear up to 18K) so it is advisable to take this with a table spoon of salt.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hmm I also read that many HD displays are rigged by these companies in stores.
If these are really that much better whats the need to do rigging?
HDMI cable scam used to fool in-store customers? - Engadget HD
Old 4th March 2008, 12:41   #5
BHPian

Monster vs coat hangers

he he .. funny reading that. I do agree you have to take this with a bit of salt.

Had the following experience
When I got my AVR the shop guy threw in a cheap no-brand Co-axial cable free of cost.

However observed that whenever I would switch on a Tube Light there would be some static disturbance in the music during that 1 second when the tube light was blinking.

Changed over to a better quality Digital Co-axial cable and this problem vanished. (Not Monster but an alternate one with much better shielding)

So I guess if your run-up cable length is 5ft or less then may be you don't need that pricy Monster cable. At the same time don't settle for some ultra cheap cable.

A silly doubt of mine

Say you have purchased a high quality Triple shield Double Helix whatever.. Monster cable. Now what about the internal cable inside your DVD player that runs upto the connector on the DVD player. Irrespective of your Monster cable won't he Net result in quality be as good as what this internal cable can deliver ?
Old 4th March 2008, 12:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer we have lots of members who have golden ear, so no point discussing it.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
There are some who don't so I guess for them its better not to waste money on something which will not show any appreciable benefit.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
LBM I happen to be one of them with Golden ears that actually work.

We recently did A/B between Kimber Tonik and Nordost Red Dawn unbalanced cable. Same CD Player / Amplifier and Speakers. Nordost killed Kimber by offering more detail, better imaging and wider soundstage.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Say you have purchased a high quality Triple shield Double Helix whatever.. Monster cable. Now what about the internal cable inside your DVD player that runs upto the connector on the DVD player. Irrespective of your Monster cable won't he Net result in quality be as good as what this internal cable can deliver ?
Ageed that the audio chain is only as strong as the weakest link but it is also the length of the link that has to be considered. The internal cables are not really very long (besides they can be changed too).
Old 4th March 2008, 15:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
We recently did A/B between Kimber Tonik and Nordost Red Dawn unbalanced cable. Same CD Player / Amplifier and Speakers. Nordost killed Kimber by offering more detail, better imaging and wider soundstage.

There might be such big difference but I will not believe till I have heard the same. Simple. Enjoy !!!
Old 4th March 2008, 17:01   #11
BHPian

I agree with you. Even I am strong follower of "Hearing is believing".
Old 4th March 2008, 17:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the intention of someone is to defy a logic, he can go up to any extent to achieve that. If we really wanted to prove something wrong, won't there be ways to do it? Can't we find loopholes in theories we see and use everyday?

Personally, I think this is a job of someone who desperately wants to prove something wrong. He probably hates audiophiles. Or Monster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks