Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2008, 00:06   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on my car audio upgrade

Hi every one. I am from Mumbai. I need some sound advice from all of you. Which component speakers should i go for:-
1) DLS C6 6.5"
2) KICKER DS 650.2
3) MOREL TEMPO 6
4) MTX THS 652
5) ALPINE SPR-17LS

Also i would like to know your thoughts on the two amps among which i will buy one of them. JBL GT5 A604 (6500rs) amp and Ground Zero 4 channel amp (dont remember the model but price range is 12k) which i am thinking of buying. I currently have a class d mono amp Sony xplod, 504 sony xplod amp 4 channel, xplod 15" sub+ Kenwood 12" sub, Soundstream Tarantula ovals and a Pioneer DEH-P7950UB.
My budget is 15k and i can slightly push it to 18 or 20k max if the stuff i am buying is that good. SO please tell me everything you all know about it and help me make the right decision.
Old 9th March 2008, 10:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Which car? Do you drive, or do you have a driver?
2. Which of the existing stuff would you like to retain?
3. The existing stuff: was it a one-shot buy&install or did you gradually add pieces? You have not mentioned any existing front speakers
4. What are the street prices of the models that you have listed?
5. Have you auditioned any of the speakers that you have listed?
Old 9th March 2008, 14:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Which car? Do you drive, or do you have a driver?
2. Which of the existing stuff would you like to retain?
3. The existing stuff: was it a one-shot buy&install or did you gradually add pieces? You have not mentioned any existing front speakers
4. What are the street prices of the models that you have listed?
5. Have you auditioned any of the speakers that you have listed?
I have a Lancer, and i drive it more often than my driver.
I don't mind discarding the Sony 4 channel amp but the rest i would keep
As for the existing system, i gradually added pieces. I have very cheap front speakers and i don't remember what make those are.
Street prices for the models i listed:-
1) DLS C6 6.5" (12k)
2) KICKER DS 650.2 (around 7k or less)
3) MOREL TEMPO 6 (between 7-9k)
4) MTX THS 652 (around 7500rs)
5) ALPINE SPR-17LS (10500)

JBL GT5 A604 (6500rs) amp and Ground Zero 4 channel amp (dont remember the model but price range is 12k)
I have not yet auditioned any speakers from the above list. These are the ones that were recommended by my friends and some professionals in the car audio business. But then i thought that why not take the final piece of advice from the Team-BHP pros.
Old 9th March 2008, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

If there is GZ amp then where is there component kit and Also where is Illusion Electra or Luccent?
Old 9th March 2008, 16:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
Also i would like to know your thoughts on the two amps among which i will buy one of them. JBL GT5 A604 (6500rs) amp and Ground Zero 4 channel amp (dont remember the model but price range is 12k) which i am thinking of buying. I currently have a class d mono amp Sony xplod, 504 sony xplod amp 4 channel, xplod 15" sub+ Kenwood 12" sub, Soundstream Tarantula ovals and a Pioneer DEH-P7950UB.
My budget is 15k and i can slightly push it to 18 or 20k max if the stuff i am buying is that good. SO please tell me everything you all know about it and help me make the right decision.
Xplod 15" sub AND a kenwood 12" sub?? how?
two boxes? one on the tray, one in a box? seat back?

anyways, could you please give some specifications of the Sony monoblock.
It is a wise idea to change the sony 4-channel amp.

Quote:
As for the existing system, i gradually added pieces. I have very cheap front speakers and i don't remember what make those are.
Street prices for the models i listed:-
1) DLS C6 6.5" (12k)
2) KICKER DS 650.2 (around 7k or less)
3) MOREL TEMPO 6 (between 7-9k)
4) MTX THS 652 (around 7500rs)
5) ALPINE SPR-17LS (10500)

JBL GT5 A604 (6500rs) amp and Ground Zero 4 channel amp (dont remember the model but price range is 12k)
I have not yet auditioned any speakers from the above list. These are the ones that were recommended by my friends and some professionals in the car audio business. But then i thought that why not take the final piece of advice from the Team-BHP pros.

Why don't you listen to the speakers yourself and decide. I personally didn't like the Morel Tempo6.
Aviod the Kickers.
You might also want to consider Illusion audio speakers too.
EDIT: just saw lbms post. the electras should be a good option, lucent prices have gone up, so it wouldn't work out.

I think you should pick a subwoofer which integrates well with your speakers. You might want to consider using just one 12" subwoofer on a good amp since it satisfies most people's requirement. Awaiting details of the sony monoblock.

Realistically you're looking at about 7k for components and the balance for your amp(s), wiring and damping.

cheers!
Shrivz

Last edited by shrivz : 9th March 2008 at 16:32.
Old 9th March 2008, 16:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the existing system, i gradually added pieces. ...

I have not yet auditioned any speakers ... advice from the Team-BHP pros.
You are on the right track! Of course, there are other amps also in the same price range (6-12K). But, your system is currently severely rear-oriented - nothing in front! The speakers in your list are not bad, but not value for the price that you would pay.

1. Get the JBL amp, which will drive front components and the rear ovals (no need to throw that, if you are satisfied with the sound)
2. First audition some other speakers, Illusion Electra (PM @bass&trouble, he should be able to guide you), JBL GTO, Infinity Reference / Kappa, Hertz ESK, ... they differ in perceived response so listen to them and pick the one that suits you
3. Use some of your budget to revamp your wiring, especially the RCAs (get Connection Audison or a good brand like that)
Old 9th March 2008, 17:53   #7
BHPian

have you auditioned any of the component sets which you have mentioned???
Old 9th March 2008, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
If there is GZ amp then where is there component kit and Also where is Illusion Electra or Luccent?
Frankly i dont know what is Illusion Electra and Luccent. I am a noob so dont be surprised I dont have a component kit.
Old 9th March 2008, 19:00   #9
BHPian

Illusion Audio is a brand. Electra and Luccent are two different series of speakers made by Illusion audio. Electra is entry level and luccent is higher end. I think you should audition all the speakers in your list and decide. Choose only what you like, do not go by specifications, reviews etc.

PM Bass&Trouble for details. Since you are in Bombay there'll be plenty of places to audition the Illusion speakers.

Quote:
Frankly i dont know what is Illusion Electra and Luccent. I am a noob so dont be surprised I dont have a component kit.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mod to odd I think now you know what I was talking about.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Xplod 15" sub AND a kenwood 12" sub?? how?
two boxes? one on the tray, one in a box? seat back?

anyways, could you please give some specifications of the Sony monoblock.
It is a wise idea to change the sony 4-channel amp.

Why don't you listen to the speakers yourself and decide. I personally didn't like the Morel Tempo6.
Aviod the Kickers.
You might also want to consider Illusion audio speakers too.
EDIT: just saw lbms post. the electras should be a good option, lucent prices have gone up, so it wouldn't work out.

I think you should pick a subwoofer which integrates well with your speakers. You might want to consider using just one 12" subwoofer on a good amp since it satisfies most people's requirement. Awaiting details of the sony monoblock.

Realistically you're looking at about 7k for components and the balance for your amp(s), wiring and damping.

cheers!
Shrivz
The mono block amp is a Sony XM-SD51X Class D and the 4 channel amp is a Sony MX 504Z. I have both the woofers attached side by side on a single boom box.
Old 9th March 2008, 22:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
have you auditioned any of the component sets which you have mentioned???
No, i have not as i dont know where i can get to hear them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks