Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 11:26   #1
BHPian

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed

First I would like to thank this great forum which helped me decide what car to buy and then pamper her with what all my pocket could allow.

My original setup was:
HU: Pioneer 5950
Front: JBL607C
Rear: JBL937 ovals

I was saving since my basic setup was done for upgrading my ICE. But these friday evenings after slogging 5 days at office were always denting my hopes! But anyways one fine day I decided to finally do it.

The new set of components included

JBL 4 Ch amp GTO504
JBL 2 Ch amp GT5-A402 christened "Piddu"(as it is too small and cute)
JBL CS1004T Bass Tube(its an old model I guess with CS10 woofer, but the rating on it says 125 RMS and 500W Peak). Sam can confirm if I am correct.
Wiring Kit-4gauge for 4 ch amp and 8 gauge for 2 ch amp.
The installation was done at patrick audio in Mysore.

I know I will get a good scolding for going for the 2 channel amp, but I was really on tight budget and could not afford a mono Block. I could have got a monoblock in grey which i could afford but I did not want the risk for going for grey market stuff for amps.

The 4 channel amp is driving the 4 speakers and "Piddu" is driving the bass tube.
I was really apprehensive as to how knowledgeble the installer was but he was recommended by a close friend of mine who had got his SX4 done there so I decided to get it done in Mysore itself.

I was looking for clues for his competency all the time when the setup was done and I was really very impressed. The install was very clean with both the amps hidden under the front seats.
I was waiting to see how does he go about the wiring. I had read from one of the Navin sir's post that the RCA cables and power cables should not be kept together. I Knew If he gets this part right he will pass the test and then I can relax. And yes he did! Infact just to be sure I asked him why did he do it and Bang!All the technical words started being fired and I was made to realise that I am a waste of an engineer

So I left all the install to him and got a small job for cleaning the screws of the crossover which Had rusted a little bit as the previous installer had put them inside the door and I guess some water had managed to reach it. I was lucky that my speakers did not blow up!

Damping was done with Foam. I wanted Dynamat but the installer said that though it is the best choice foam will do a decent job with the speakers I have. So the the front two doors and the Boot was damped. Some waste cotton stuff went inside the boot aswell. I guess it might be 3-4 Kg. And he put foam inside the boot lid but put fabric(it was quite coarse) on the boot fibre cover. I did not ask why.

I will get the rear doors also damped soon.

after the stup was done the guy who was doin all the install moved out and the supervisor came in to tune the amps. Initially he had also given me a good disapproval kind of look for going for "Piddu". He infact asked me that am I a JBL fan or what!! I did not know what to answer and was looking for a place to hide myself! But when the system was powered he said this 2 channel amp is performing really well! Inafct it is just fine for my sub(so far I have not noticed any clipping). Thanks to Navin sir for helping me decide how to use the two ch amp. As he wisely said "Human ear is less sensetive to bass distortions", so power the sub through the 2 ch amp. And I am satisfied with how "Piddu" is performing.

The 4 ch amp was never an issue as I knew it will do a good job. It was Piddu that I was worried about. That too my heart sank when the supervisor said that he has a Monoblock for 8K with B/W(I had paid 5K for Piddu with B/W). The monoblock he was referring to was some Ultimate amp if I remember correctly. The Gurus will know better.

But the total setup turned out to be amazingly good and I ended up going to Bangalore that night as I did not want to get out of the car!

The supervisor(Mr Prasas Patrick) patiently tuned the amps. He had the multimeter which the guy who was doing the install was using but he said he trusts his ears and what is there between more. I was really impressed.
The only sad part was that the rears had to be tuned down a little bit as there was too much of Bass happening. He adviced me to go for boston co axials in the rear doors as they will boost up the mid range and also the parcel tray rattles at deep bass notes(Right know I have fixed it by stuffing some tissue papers). I am thinking about it. I know I will get a good advice from the gurus after they read this.

It is already a long post so I will stop writing and post the WIP pics. sadly I dnt have the finished install pics as I got my head down and closed my eyes to concentrate on the tuning of the amps!
Prdon me for the quality of the pics, they were taken from my mobile camera.

All your suggestions/constructive criticism are welcome

Regards

Animesh
Attached Thumbnails
ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008766.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008765.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008767.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008768.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008769.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008770.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008771.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008772.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008773.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008776.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008777.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008779.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008780.jpg  

ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed-08032008781.jpg  

Old 13th March 2008, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque
Wiring Kit-4gauge for 4 ch amp and 8 gauge for 2 ch amp.
4-ga kit is overkill for that amp. In fact, just one 8 gauge kit would have been fine for both amps.

Quote:
I know I will get a good scolding for going for the 2 channel amp,
If someone scolds you, scold them back. The 2 ch amp is perfect for this application.

Quote:
As he wisely said "Human ear is less sensetive to bass distortions", so power the sub through the 2 ch amp.
Sounds more like a Piddhuji's saying than Navin's.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

First congrats for the install.

That black sheet is closed cell foam. It will not improve the sound but it will vibrate and make the sound worse.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:55   #4
BHPian

Thanks B&T and LBM
Will the wiring have any negative effect on the current setup?

To LBM
Till now I have not experienced any vibration. But if it does I will get it ripped and put in Dynamat as it was included in my original budgeting
Old 13th March 2008, 12:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
Thanks B&T and LBM
Will the wiring have any negative effect on the current setup?

To LBM
Till now I have not experienced any vibration. But if it does I will get it ripped and put in Dynamat as it was included in my original budgeting
Why spend more on Dynamat when you have cheaper alternatives.

Try using Noisekill. Contact B&T for the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks