Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2008, 13:07   #1

Basic ICE for Swift: Help required on choice and price

Friends,

I require help from you to check audio price that I got from Reliance Digital here in Bangalore.

My profile:

1. My Car:
Swift Vxi

2. My current setup (If any):
None

3. My Budget:
About 15K

4. Do I drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven?
Currently it is self driven only. Very likely it may remain the same in future too. Most of the time I use the car for commuting to office. Only on weekend does family (including my 1 yr naughty baby) join me in car on drives.

5. My Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.):
Well I generally like soothing music and so have a liking for western instrumental. But I do enjoy fast racy numbers like the Indian movie songs top hits of the year and so on.

6. Others:
I am NOT a hard core music fan at all. I do not even have a decent enought music system in home other than my ipod! Of course I love the way the demo system sounded with woofers when powered by amps and all BUT I really dont think I need these kind of hardware for my kind of taste. Probably an entry level coaxial system with decent HU providing support for USB and ipod connectivity would do.

Basically I got interested in buying a system because Reliance digital had a deal for 10,800 that includes :
1) a set of 4 inch speakera
2) a set of bigger speakers that sits on the plank
3) Sony head unit CDX GT470

But as my Swift can only accommodate 6 inch speakers I am not able to take this offer. And they are NOT willing to make changes for any items to the above deal :( . Instead they suggested that I go in for one of the following:

Suggestion A -
1) JBL 6.5 GT5-652. MRP 2945. Selling price 2490. Rear door
2) Sony CDX GT470. MRP 7990. Selling price 7790
3) Kicker components: Kicker 6.5 D650.2 Selling price 4990. Front door.
4) Installation charges Rs.300
5) Some rings (I guess for padding the door) Rs.800 for 4 doors

Suggestion B -
1) JBL 6.5 GT5-652. MRP 2945. Selling price 2490. For all the doors
3) Installation charges Rs.300
4) Some rings (I guess for padding the door) Rs.800 for 4 doors

Suggestion C -
1) Kicker components: Kicker 6.5 D650.2 Selling price 4990. Speakers only on front door. No more speakers. I could upgrade later if required is the idea.
3) Installation charges Rs.300
4) Some rings (I guess for padding the door) Rs.800 for 4 doors

Now here are my questions:
Q1) Which of the above suggestions would probably be best for me?

Q2) Do the above prices sound good in terms of market price? They do give a 1 yr warranty for speakers and 2 yr warranty for HU.

Q3) If I install compos then would the tweeter on dashboard be an easy play target for my kid?

Thanks and Regards,
Satish
Old 16th March 2008, 16:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

do listen to Illusion 6.1 components. they form an amazing front sound stage. u can put the speakers in the rear door or the tray. JBL GTO 937 are good rear fillers when u go for components in the front. Also try Pioneer 5050, 6050, 7950 HU. Adding an amp will make ur experience much better, but then good amps come at a good price and u will land outside 15k.
Old 16th March 2008, 19:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

None of the above, if you ask me. Are you open to other permutations and combinations also ?
Old 16th March 2008, 20:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sony players are not so good on SQ, even their highest end MP3 players sound noisy, you can put your money into something better, Pioneer / Alpine .
Old 16th March 2008, 23:05   #5
BHPian

Since you want USB connectivity, go fr a Pioneer 5050UB or 7950UB(price higher @ ~9k).
Old 16th March 2008, 23:52   #6
BHPian

If you want good sound, get a pair of decent 6" components (I personally feel that the JBL GTOs are quite good and not too expensive). You dont need speakers in the back unless somebody discerning is going to be sitting in the backseat often.

Then get a decent head unit. Pioneer and Alpine are best for sound quality. Avoid Sony.

Then start saving up for a good amp to power the front components. Once you put in the amp the sound will improve tremendously.

Finally, add a subwoofer (in a sealed or ported box in the boot) to complete the sound. The subwoofer needs to run on an amplifier so its probably best to get a 4-ch amp (2 channels for the two front component speakers and 2 channels bridged to power the subwoofer). After adding this you might need to get some parts of the card damped (front doors and hatch-tailgate).

I'll repeat, more than two speakers are not necessary. Its better to buy one set of good components than two sets of coaxials which are not as good. The rear speakers should be the last thing you add to your system after the subwoofer.

Proceed one step at a time.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:25   #7

Thanks everyone for reading through the post and letting me know your views. Based on the collective advice I have decided NOT to go ahead with any of the options that I had mentioned in my post.

For the HU, I shall look for the Pioneer set having USB as suggested by almost everybody! At Reliance Digital, Sony was the only set having USB support. So I did not have any other choice.
For the comp, Kicker was the only comp brand at Reliance Digital and so no more comp choices.

So, what is clear for me is that I need not get things fitted at Reliance Digital (RD) if they do not offer the best (or recommended) choices. I shall check out the other recommended BLR places for these (though the RD place was very convenient for me).

I did like the step by step advice given by THEEND and I am now kind of thinking on same suggested lines. Thanks THEEND.

Thanks all!

Regards,
Satish
Old 18th March 2008, 15:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator's Note: Please use the search function. This being a common question, would have been answered in Team-BHP's 4 years of existence atleast once.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks