Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Original or Not? Purchased a Pioneer 2050 today.

Hey all,
This is my first post here. So heres a big hello to start it off.

Now, this is what happened, I purchased a Pioneer 2050 today, and when I got back home and checked out the goods, the main stereo looks kind of crude, seems to be a fake. The main unit doesn't have a Pioneer sticker on it, but the mouth and remote are original. Anyway, I'm attaching some pics along, it'd be nice if i could have some opinions regarding the same. If I have been ripped off, I'll be getting the stereo replaced tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
Sibot

PS: It has a "Made in China" sticker on it. Thats all.

Original or Not? Purchased a Pioneer 2050 today.-dsc03638-640x480.jpgOriginal or Not? Purchased a Pioneer 2050 today.-dsc03639-640x480.jpgOriginal or Not? Purchased a Pioneer 2050 today.-dsc03640-640x480.jpgOriginal or Not? Purchased a Pioneer 2050 today.-dsc03641-640x480.jpg
Old 28th March 2008, 23:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Difficult to say if it is a fake - the faceplate and remote look pretty OK from whatever one can make out.

Did you buy it grey or with b&w?

Don't be misled by the "Made in China" part - almost all companies get their sets made in China, which is a low-cost manufacturing center for the world, the way India is the IT development/maintenance center for the world.
Old 28th March 2008, 23:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bro it is original, now enjoy ICE.
Old 28th March 2008, 23:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Difficult to say if it is a fake - the faceplate and remote look pretty OK from whatever one can make out.

Did you buy it grey or with b&w?

Don't be misled by the "Made in China" part - almost all companies get their sets made in China, which is a low-cost manufacturing center for the world, the way India is the IT development/maintenance center for the world.
I got it from Grey market, this really famous guy known for his original goods at a low price. Its true that everything is made in China these days, even the Intel processors we run are made in China. Thanks for the reply! I saw an ebay ad for the same, with the back plate diagram made on it, and its the same as the one i got. The reason, i felt finicky about the "made in China" was cause there was nothing else written on it apart from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Bro it is original, now enjoy ICE.
Ha, I really hope so. Could you tell me a few points with which you can differ an original one from a fake?
Old 29th March 2008, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its an original, dont worry!
Old 30th March 2008, 12:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
i felt finicky about the "made in China" was cause there was nothing else written on it apart from that.
Even stickers cost money, sir! And for a low end model all non-essentials are stripped off, including stickers. One sticker should be there, hopefully on the side that you haven't posted the pic of, which should proclaim the manufacturing origin, the manufacturer, model number and the various "compliance" logos.
Quote:
Ha, I really hope so. Could you tell me a few points with which you can differ an original one from a fake?
* It is difficult to fake a current-generation electronic product, unless the mask-programmable semiconductors or the original PCB (with all components mounted) are procured. This is difficult unless there is complicity at the level of the contract manufacturer (if the factory is not owned by the brand owner)
* Fakes usually differ in fit and finish, though with the current manufacturing technology almost anyone can do a good job. But, hey, you cannot make margins if you invest in modern machinery, unless you sell the same numbers as Pio original does. Difficult!
* One can xerox the manual, use the same connectors and front plate, get excellent copies of the housing etc. but very difficult to duplicate 100% original functionality
* If a faker makes a concerted effort, he usually lands up creating his own brand (usually a 'misleading' brand). This is usually there with amplifiers and speakers, not HUs
* Lastly, if one opens the cover, the PCB is usually a dead giveaway if it is a fake
Old 30th March 2008, 13:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its true that everything is made in China these days, even the Intel processors we run are made in China.
Yes. Even the iPod I got in USA clearly said this
"Designed in California. Made in China"
Old 30th March 2008, 15:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've got no experience with 2050, but honestly, the third picture makes me think that if this HU is original, Pio needs to work on the fit and finish of its products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks