Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 11:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

JBL for SX4

First things first, I am a novice at ICE. I kept the stock ICE in my last car that I bought in 2003 so I am really unsure of how to go about bettering the speakers in my SX4.

I love music and have reached a point where I just can’t listen to music on the stock speakers. The SX4 speakers are pretty weedy IMO and volume has to be cranked up to atleast 25 and above to have a not so decent output.

Lets see the conditions first:

1. It's a ZXi so the Integrated HU will not be changed.

2. Only the speakers are to be changed. SX4 has 2 speakers in the front and 2 tweeters in the front door with a provision for 2 more speakers in the rear doors.

3. Only the provisions made for the speakers will be used. As far as possible, I would like the keep the 'factory fit'.

The idea is to have 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. Dealer has suggested a amplifier so I could do with tips on that too.

Budget is about 15K without a amplifier.

I was suggested JBL 650C speakers and tweeters. The entire set with installation would cost me Rs.13,000.

I think it’s better to go in for a amplifier. It would really improve the sound experience but do the experts believe that merely changing the speakers and installing a amplifier would make that dramatic an improvement if the HU is not changed?

If I go for a Infinity amplifer with the JBL speakers the entire set would cost me Rs.17,500. I haven't negociated on the cost as I wasn't buying them today.

Dealer also said I can opt for a Blaunkput amplifier with the JBL speakers. This, he said, will be cheaper then the Infinity+JBL speakers. If the difference in costs is going to be a few hundreds or a couple of grand, I feel it would be better to stick to Infinity+JBL. What do you guys think? Is it worth spending more and going in for the infinity? Is Infinity really that much better? Dealer says Infinity+JBL will be better.

The dealer is Bittu Auto Care, Chembur. Anyone having any experience with them? I want a good professional installer. Remember, this is a Maruti we are talking about and looking at their build quality, I don’t want to end up with swanky speakers and rattling door panels.

From reading a bit on this forum, I understand that the SX4 has 6” speakers while the JBL’s are 6.5”. Would that be okay and ensure a proper fit/install? Are the 650C good enough? Does the cost seem okay? Any more/better suggestions? Any problems or concern areas that I should watch out for?
Old 29th March 2008, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
[/b]

I was suggested JBL 650C speakers and tweeters. The entire set with installation would cost me Rs.13,000.

If I go for a Infinity amplifer with the JBL speakers the entire set would cost me Rs.17,500.
infinity Amp for Rs 4500 ?? Which amp is this ?

Cost seems to high for 650C even if its included with installation. Is the Damping included in the cost ? I think they will accommodate the speakers with spacer rings.

Last edited by abhibh : 29th March 2008 at 17:40.
Old 30th March 2008, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Bittu is pulling a real fast one (or 2, really):

1. He is overpricing the JBL speakers and making a killing
2. The amplifier (obviously a fake) is a psychological ploy: if you fall for it, he obviously gets to know that you don't know fact from fiction - and he sells a fake safely. If you say anything otherwise, he becomes wiser and smoothly backs out (saying "sorry, galti ho gai") - he has quoted a Blau amp

JBL comps (6K; must be GT5 or the old CS) + JBL ovals (4.5K) + Blau amp (6K) = 16.5K. With b&w, it is still cheaper than the "Infinity" combo even if you account some extra for the wiring etc. - he will make a decent margin anyhow.
Old 30th March 2008, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Amit ji

Please check out the following link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...io-thread.html

then you can check out my query (im in the same soup as you only im getting a dezire which has the same Stock HU as your SX4)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...dzire-vxi.html

Lastly the installer prices are a little off
i would suggest you get GTO607 componets for the front (these are 6.5inch compos but should be able to fit with spacers) these are for 6500rs with bill , you should be able to get a 8-10% disc. these components sould be AMp driven

now for the rears i suggest what im plannig
Leave the speakers on the rear doors stock-and run them off ur HU

now add an amp in a sealed/ported ( depending on your tastes) in the boot and drive it off the amp

i would like to mention that im an ICE novice too.
So the above is not exactly "guru" advice

Lastly please inform me of your install i would love to accompany you since im gonna be doing almost the same thing very soon!
P.S - Good installers are FM Drive in SAntacruz , Boom in Bandra and theres a chap at opera house/lamington rd too (i can find out more if your interested)
PLs check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...n-suburbs.html
Old 30th March 2008, 15:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Budget is about 15K without a amplifier.

I think it’s better to go in for a amplifier. It would really improve the sound experience but do the experts believe that merely changing the speakers and installing a amplifier would make that dramatic an improvement if the HU is not changed?

If I go for a Infinity amplifer with the JBL speakers the entire set would cost me Rs.17,500. I haven't negociated on the cost as I wasn't buying them today.

Dealer also said I can opt for a Blaunkput amplifier with the JBL speakers. This, he said, will be cheaper then the Infinity+JBL speakers. If the difference in costs is going to be a few hundreds or a couple of grand, I feel it would be better to stick to Infinity+JBL. What do you guys think? Is it worth spending more and going in for the infinity? Is Infinity really that much better? Dealer says Infinity+JBL will be better.

The dealer is Bittu Auto Care, Chembur. Anyone having any experience with them? I want a good professional installer. Remember, this is a Maruti we are talking about and looking at their build quality, I don’t want to end up with swanky speakers and rattling door panels.

From reading a bit on this forum, I understand that the SX4 has 6” speakers while the JBL’s are 6.5”. Would that be okay and ensure a proper fit/install? Are the 650C good enough? Does the cost seem okay? Any more/better suggestions? Any problems or concern areas that I should watch out for?

If your budget is 15k without an amplifier, buy the 607s and 637s (Since you want it to look stock) - About 6+3 = 9k
You can buy a good 4-channel JBL/Blau amplifier for 8k. I am not sure how good an idea it is to buy Infinity amplifiers for JBLs.

Ask the dealer to quote individual prices instead of the total. We'll have more clarity that way.
Old 30th March 2008, 17:03   #6

Any kind of amplification would be better than no amplification...i'm no expert but i would suggest that a amplifier would make a world of diff even if you dont change the HU
i think ur narrowing down urself a lot.....with a budget of 15K only for speakers ur options are vast... i suggest you audition a few set of speakers before u zero in on any
my recommendations would be Infinity, Illusion, Hertz, Ground Zero, JBL
Old 31st March 2008, 10:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a basic question. What is the difference between componants and ovals and which one is better?

Here is another quote from a dealer in Vashi. This guy gave me a quote for oval speakers and said though componants are better the clarity is much better in ovals. (go figure!)

Quote from Vashi dealer:

JBL 652 (4 speakers): Rs. 3850

JBL Amplifier 604: Rs.5000! (Looks like an overkill to go in for such a high end one)

Amplifier Kit: Rs. 500.

I was quoted Rs.9300 PLUS installation. On initial negociations, he quoted Rs.9000 INCLUSIVE of installation.

The difference between the two quotes is HUGE.

I asked him if 652 would be a perfect fit since it's 6.5" speakers and he said there would be no problem.

What about the amplifier? Does it really make sense to go in for a 5K amplifier?
Old 31st March 2008, 12:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is another quote from a dealer in Vashi. This guy gave me a quote for oval speakers and said though componants are better the clarity is much better in ovals. (go figure!)

JBL 652 (4 speakers): Rs. 3850
JBL Amplifier 604: Rs.5000!
Amplifier Kit: Rs. 500.

What about the amplifier? Does it really make sense to go in for a 5K amplifier?
components allow the tweeter to be placed closer to your ears and hence improve the imaging.

an amplifier is essential only if you play loud. If you find yourself pushing your HU past it's halfway mark get an amp. The JBL amp is as basic as one can get as a starter amp (others in the same price range are the Pio 6300, Kenwood 8401, and Blau GT4 Special).
Old 31st March 2008, 13:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Amit, I'm no ICE guru, but I'll give you one advise based on experience as a user.

Do not hurry into the install.

Postpone your install by 2-4weeks. Spend a few days (yes, it'll take time - but is worth it) reading through the wealth of information on this forum. Be armed with some more info/knowledge on the basics, ask questions, get clarifications, try and hear fellow T-BHPian ICE installs, chalk out a couple of possible combinations for the money you'd want to spend and then visit some shops.
Old 14th September 2008, 13:37   #10
BHPian

Hey i just wanted to know what u guys think abt the JBL cs 2165 c component speaker?? As i got it fitted in my Sx4 Zxi yesterday, the sound quality has improved but im not sure as to whether i need an amp or not..
Old 14th September 2008, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Hi Amit,

How well is your OEM HU? No body has posted any reviews on it, I just wanted to know how good is this one. Since, I was having a kenwood (Nippon) system in my Swift which was said to be 50 X 4 Watts, but I was never satisfied with the output of it, which was connected to 607c and 626e. Hence an Amp would have to be a pre-requisite if you want to have JBL speakers.

And you should be able to get GTO607c at 4.4K (B&W) as GTO698c are already in market.

Please let me know about the OEM feedback.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrraju
a kenwood (Nippon) system in my Swift which was said to be 50 X 4 Watts,
50x4 is peak power.
Nominal power should be around 17-22W RMS.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:37   #13
BHPian

I've got 936s in the rear of my SX4, had to cut for space below the rear screen, and 607s in the front. The 607 have fit into the stock speaker places so I've got no wiring visible. I've also got the Sony Amp (Z something). However when I installed the amp, I lost the balance option; as my fader was now on the balance settings. If that makes sense.
937s now are for about 3k, 607 I got for about 5k and around the same for the amp.
Sounds terrific, now saving up for a new HU
Old 15th September 2008, 10:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
50x4 is peak power.
Nominal power should be around 17-22W RMS.
They claim whatever they like. For SX4 they claimed 45WX4. It turned out to be RMS 5.5WX4 and 22W total.
Old 15th September 2008, 10:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Please let me know about the OEM feedback.
Don't worry, I have done it already. Go through this->

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...p-section.html

After much R&D I got to know how this HU is working and can answer your specific question, if any.

Last edited by omishra : 15th September 2008 at 10:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks