Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 16:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

meet me in the evening audition the GTA4 running my 6 x 9s and compos u'l get to know cheers..

Ramie
Old 31st March 2008, 16:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
meet me in the evening audition the GTA4 running my 6 x 9s and compos u'l get to know cheers..

Ramie
Sirji, got your SMS, but today evening wont be possible. Will connect with you during the week to audition.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Sirji, got your SMS, but today evening wont be possible. Will connect with you during the week to audition.
no problem sir jee,we can meet this weekend,from my point i would have preffered:

HU
Illusion Audio Electra
Ground-zero MK2 sub(In a sealed box)
Kenwood 8401(goes well with the MK2 sub)
good 8-gauge wiring.
6x9s would have been a choice of upgrade in a later stage
Old 1st April 2008, 10:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

(Taken from an earlier thread--->http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ier-price.html)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Yes, I was originally quoted 10K for the GTA 480, but it seems that some Tbhpians in Bombay have got it for 8.5K with B&W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, the GTA4 Special Mark II does - MRP 6K. The GTA 480 is MRP 10K.

Haven't seen mention of GTA280 price on TBHP anytime, other than from @vebmetal.
A dealer quoted me Rs 5600 (B&W) for Blaupunkt 4 channel "Special" amp. He was not clear about the model no though. Any idea if this would be the GTA4 Special Mark II? How do these 2 amps differ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post

If thats true its very good VFM!!

I dont get it, there are the VFM amps like the Blau 480, GTA MK Special II, JBL CS 60.4 etc and there are amps like JBL 75.4, ground zero which are priced a bit higher.

If two amps are rated the same, in what ways are the more expensive ones better ? Does the difference in SQ really justify the higher price (if you're not an audiophile)?
I also have the same question. I asked the dealer about Kenwood 8401. He praised it a lot. Then I told him the speakers that I wish to run with this amp. At this point, he mentioned Blaupunkt "Special" amp.

He says Kenwood is good for basic speakers (Pioneers/Sony) while Blaupunkt (at a slightly higher price level) is better for quality speakers (such as Electra and GZ)
Old 1st April 2008, 10:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
A dealer quoted me Rs 5600 (B&W) for Blaupunkt 4 channel "Special" amp. He was not clear about the model no though. Any idea if this would be the GTA4 Special Mark II? How do these 2 amps differ?
This is definitely the GTA4 and not the GTA480. As Deralte said, the prices are about 6K and 9.5K for the two amps (with B&W - not available in grey).

You can look at the specs to see the difference on paper (they are quite different with the 480 being much more powerful and probably better SQ). But if you can get auditions, then that's the best. I am in the same boat as you there.

If you make up your mind that you are going to buy the amp on a particular day, then maybe you can get the installer to demo all 3 amps for you while installing. Very simple thing for them to do. And if you can take someone knowledgeable along (someone from this forum perhaps) who knows amp tuning etc., then you would get a good demo. You would only get a true comparison if the amps are tuned right.

(I hope you do do this, as I would really gain from your input).
Old 1st April 2008, 11:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

6x9 vs subwoofer for the rear?

For a hatch that is driven 100% by me, what would the gurus suggest as rear speakers? 6x9 (with a decent bass without a sub woofer) or just a sub woofer (e.g. bass tube)? Please note that these are either/or choices for me

I mention a bass tube as it somewhat fits the budget vis-a-vis 6x9 in the similar price range (~Rs 5k)

My listening preference is not a very boomy or ear drum shattering bass. But just enough to complete the sound stage at the rear, and bring out the lows for listening pleasure.

I am not too well versed with technicalities of sub woofer box design. Also, I tend to think of the bass tube as a one-stop-ready made-solution (please correct me if I am wrong).

Boot space is somewhat important as I have frequent trips and some luggage space is necessary for me.

EDIT: Front stage is components
Old 1st April 2008, 12:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I remember someone on this forum saying he got the JBL A604 for 6.5 k
Yup, the JBL GT5 A604 is around 6.5 K with B&W, in Bangalore.
Old 1st April 2008, 12:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you make up your mind that you are going to buy the amp on a particular day, then maybe you can get the installer to demo all 3 amps for you while installing. Very simple thing for them to do. And if you can take someone knowledgeable along (someone from this forum perhaps) who knows amp tuning etc., then you would get a good demo. You would only get a true comparison if the amps are tuned right.
(I hope you do do this, as I would really gain from your input).
@veb, I really hope I can get to do this. But the situation is far from this. I have visited all the reputed shops in Mumbai, but none of them gives a demo with your choice of equipments, unless they have it installed. Thats why I had to go to different places to hear different stuff. But till now, I have not come across a dealer willing to audition different brands of amps. They make you listen to whatever they have installed.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
1. Cost: Adding a sub will double your cost since it needs an amplifier. 6X9s can be driven off the HU.

2. Boot Space: You will need to compromise the boot space with a sub. Since you say it is a hatch and you require boot space, I would second the opinion of having 6X9s and then thinking about sub if you really want it.
Actually, I was thinking of putting either a sub woofer or a 6x9. In either case, it would be driven by the remaining 2 channels of the amp.

What I gather from the above mentioned replies is that it cant be an either/or choice. Am I correct in my interpretation?

So does this mean that a sub woofer serves as an addition to 6x9s? I thought they could be used as a substitute. i.e. if 6x9s serve the purpose of rear fills only and just to reproduce the lows. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 1st April 2008, 14:24   #25
BHPian

Really? That's weird. I think in Delhi they are cool with doing this. Maybe your next trip here, we can go get me an amp and get that audition. (especially since your setup would be similar). Maybe by that time I would have the money to buy one!!
Old 1st April 2008, 14:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think in Delhi they are cool with doing this.
Really? I would normally expect otherwise. Is this based on your experience being a TBHPian at DRIVEN or in the general marketplace too?
Old 1st April 2008, 14:59   #27
BHPian

Well couple of shops at Lajpat nagar, (and if I not mistaken Driven as well) said that as long as I am buying something they don't mind demonstrating two or three choices and I can keep the one I like. Driven definitely said that about HUs, and I think also for amps but not sure on that.

Why would they not? After all if you are getting an amp for sure, they will anyways lay the wiring etc. Then it's just a matter of quick substitution - right?
Old 1st April 2008, 15:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Really? I would normally expect otherwise. Is this based on your experience being a TBHPian at DRIVEN or in the general marketplace too?
Gunbir sir, kya haal chaal?

I agree, being a TBHP member and going to 'recommended places' gets you 'your kind of audition' (of course, with proper references!). But if you happen to stroll into any shop at random, chances are that they would just make you listen to whatever they have installed in their demo car/board.

Your choices of equipment (X amp+Y components+Z HU) is mostly met with answers like "Sir, Y components are nothing compared to Brand A that I have on my demo". Or "Sir, this is the best possible combination for best sound and thats why I have put it together for demo"
Old 1st April 2008, 16:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
quite the contrary. 6x9 are often used to substitute for a woofer (and add some rear fill) when there is no room for a sub woofer.

2 6x9s will have as much surface area as a single 12" woofer but a 12" woofer is designed to produce deep bass while 6x9 are designed to produce more mid bass than deep bass.

If you need rear fill get the 6x9; no sub is going to give you rear fill.

If you don't need rear fill and are willing to sacrifice boot space get the sub; few good subs will be outdone (in the bass) by a pair of 6x9s.
Quote:
I think it's a either / or situation for you since you are planning on getting an amp anyway. So cost wise you don't save anything by going for 6x9s as opposed to going for a sub (btw for your benefit we are leaving bass tubes out of this discussion).

AFAIK the difference is this: 6x9s will give you a wide range of frequencies - from highs to lows. Like your components, but the bass will be a little deeper. A sub on the other hand, will only give you the low end, but a much more thorough range of low frequencies.
Spot on Mr Navin. You solved my query exactly. Thanks! Rear fill and boot space are a higher priority over deep bass.

Just one more query - AFAIK, a component in the front door will be able to produce mid and highs. Will 6x9s produce the remaining part i.e. lows (in order to 'complete' the sound)?

From veb's answer, this seems to happen in case of 6x9s.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Yes a 6X9 will go lower than most of the mid bass drivers but not as low as a Sub.

Most Viewed