Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 01:21   #16
BHPian

thank you guys for all your replies. below the rear seats then it is.

hydra, i don't let the guys at the service station clean/wash the interiors of my cars. i do it myself. so that would not be an issue.

hi speedzak, i'm going to put my existing amplifier JBL CS 60.4 on the Wagon R. it's a tiny amplifier . i'll be getting a JBL GT5 A604 for my Vtec.

speedzak, get well soon. hope to see you in the next meet. you too hydra.
Old 14th April 2008, 07:06   #17
BANNED

Hey Vishnu,

The space under the rear seats is good!

Just take a look of what is under the carpet before installing it there, chances are there is a fuel tank there and service center guys use that area to access the fuel pump and filter (not sure how it is in a maruti). you don't want screws to be drilled in your fuel tank!
Old 14th April 2008, 08:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Just take a look of what is under the carpet before installing it there, chances are there is a fuel tank there and service center guys use that area to access the fuel pump and filter (not sure how it is in a maruti). you don't want screws to be drilled in your fuel tank!
This is important, Vishnu. Do check with the service guys about this.
Old 14th April 2008, 14:48   #19
BHPian

Hmm... I did not think about that. What about the other side (i.e. the rear right)?

Also is there any other way of installing under the seat other than screwing the amp on to the metal body of the car? Perhaps by screwing the amp onto a board (ply) and then fastening the board onto the rear sets legs, as shown towards the left in this picture:
Old 14th April 2008, 15:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have placed my Sony amplifier under my driver's sear. It is a misconception that dirt and dust gets accumulated under the front seat. It will not happen if you clean your car atleast once in two weeks.

The amplifiers are properly sealed. So I don't think any dust can go inside. Just make sure that you give lots of space for airflow, because amplifiers can get very hot after extended usage.

I have not faced any problem till now.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Same here have the amp below front passenger seat since past 2 years & no issues what so ever
Old 14th April 2008, 17:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vishnu, just happend to see this thread, thought of sharing my part. My wagonR has the same amplifier 60.4 under the front passenger seat since 1 year, so far no issues. You can view the set up in my "Garage". My installer is a 15 years experienced chap with all kinds of set up. He suggested only 4 areas to me when I approched him. 1. Behind the rear seat, 2. side of the boot, 3.boot floor, 4.under the front passenger seat. He has done amp installation in atleast 30 WagonRs, none done under the rear seat. Technical and practical reasons, I dont really remember. As someone suggested, please check with your service centre before deciding under the rear seat. Cheers !
Old 14th April 2008, 22:24   #23
BHPian

oops, confusion again.

i'll check with the service station about drilling holes below the rear seats and also about drilling on to the back of the rear seats.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:14   #24
BANNED

My vote Goes for behing the rear Seat.

Cause!!
Under left seat is too common for a thief to locate
If there is a small floood and water enter the floor board ya pricy amp is charred
Under seat can accomomdate only single amplifier
chances of kicking and breaking the gold terminals are high and painful(happened to me)
Old 16th April 2008, 10:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Same here have the amp below front passenger seat since past 2 years & no issues what so ever
I have it under the front passenger seat too & have not had any problems with it at all. Should be okay.
Old 16th April 2008, 16:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nripin View Post
My vote Goes for behing the rear Seat.

Cause!!
Under left seat is too common for a thief to locate
If there is a small floood and water enter the floor board ya pricy amp is charred
Under seat can accomomdate only single amplifier
chances of kicking and breaking the gold terminals are high and painful(happened to me)
Your point is valid for under the front seat, but not under the rear seat.
  1. In hatchbacks behind the rear seat is probably the most visible, and hence the worst, location you can put if you are trying to avoid theft.
  2. The rear seat is a little elevated, so flood risk is much less than under the front seat. But yes, the back of the rear seat is even higher. I just don't think it's necessary.
  3. Under the rear set you can easily accommodate 3, or even 4, amps. Easily.
  4. Again, rear seat is elevated (see the pic), so chance of kicking is minimal to zero.
But yes, the most important question if there are any logistical problems such as this fuel tank business.
Old 16th April 2008, 17:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
oops, confusion again.

i'll check with the service station about drilling holes below the rear seats and also about drilling on to the back of the rear seats.
vishnu If you still have not done the install, here is a quicke for you and all others who may have missed this point. If you do a rear sear install, you cannot make good use of the Folded rear seat Boot space. Agreed you will go to 'movers and packers' to shift your home, but on one of those diwali purchase nights when you need that WHOLE folded up boot space you can forget that special feature that you have paid for.

check my tBHP garage, i got my sony under my codrivers seat.

cheers
san
Old 16th April 2008, 22:42   #28
BHPian

thank you guys for all your replies.if the space below the rear seats has no problems regarding the location of the fuel tank, i'll install the amplifier there.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:19   #29
BHPian

Please do update us as and when you find out whether there is a problem or not. And if you do go forward, post pics!
Old 17th April 2008, 16:27   #30
BHPian

sure vebmetal, i'll definitely update it on the forum as soon as i do the install.

Most Viewed