Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 02:26   #16
BHPian

26k..hmmm. Won't it be cheaper to get a carputer? While a 2din media centre may be slightly more elegant, a carputer would be hell of a lot more versatile, and customizable.
Old 30th April 2008, 09:05   #17
BHPian

and what is this carputer-can somebody please explain.
Old 30th April 2008, 09:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

There is also a much cheaper 710 ,odel listd. What are the differences between the 710 and the 810??
Old 30th April 2008, 14:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
and what is this carputer-can somebody please explain.
A computer in a car, which will store all the music that one wants. You can have a card through which FM radio can be received, and also have maps displayed based on your location (external GPS input). Would essentially replace the HU, and do more things than the HU could!

Currently carputers are not available in a standard readymade form that you can buy and get an average installer to install. It needs some work on the part of the user to tailor it to individual needs. An average system (without GPS) would cost Rs. 30-40K, less if you are into DIY. You can checkout the 2 active threads in the DIY section for more.
Old 30th April 2008, 21:39   #20
BHPian

ok thanks for the info.but i think i would rather go with 2 din lcd display with a rev camera.superb investment for my beauty
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:17   #21
BHPian

can somebody tell me where can i get a reliable good quality rear view camera?should i check out toyota n honda dealerships or maybee others?my hyundai dealer does not have it.......
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I am currently using a JVC KD AVX33 single din DVD/USB/Bluetooth DIvx Compatible player for the last 6 months , no problems what so ever. I even use my portable 80 GB USB HDD for playing DVD quality movies and music
could you please tell me how much time does it takes for reading and detecting the 80G hdd
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:59   #23
BHPian

my hyundai dealer sucks-service is great but they cannot provide me the jvc 805 or 810 for atleast another 2 weeks.meanwhile checked on net on sony india they have xav-w1 for 32990/.thats with bill n w.does anybody know about this hu??
Old 8th May 2008, 21:26   #24
BHPian

nobody interested.well will go on my own .i am being offered jvc 814.new model?didnt find anything on net?can the gurus shed some light here please???
Old 9th May 2008, 10:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nobody interested.well will go on my own .i am being offered jvc 814.new model?didnt find anything on net?can the gurus shed some light here please???
The exact model number is KW-AVX814. Must be a new model.

Even though it appears in this page by searching in the global JVC site, information on this model does not seem to appear anywhere. Google search throws up this reference in context of someone asking whether he can put his own photo as wallpaper!

How much are you getting it for? If you believe the Japanese, they say it is better to buy any other Japanese brand over Sony, which punctiliously fails the day after the warranty expires!!!

Be sure to read the manual before buying, especially for provision of Aux Audio and Video inputs (you wanted to connect a rear-view camera, right?) and outputs (to amplifier, roof-mounted LCD etc.).
Old 9th May 2008, 12:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
my hyundai dealer sucks-service is great but they cannot provide me the jvc 805 or 810 for atleast another 2 weeks.meanwhile checked on net on sony india they have xav-w1 for 32990/.thats with bill n w.does anybody know about this hu??

Why dont you try to source it from bestbuy.com and get it shipped through some friends/relatives coming back from US? I could find brands like Pioneer 6.1 inches 2 DIN and Kenwood 7 inch 2 DIN selling out for 350 - 400 USD. Considering the price difference dont you think the wait period is worth ?
Old 9th May 2008, 12:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Currently carputers are not available in a standard readymade form that you can buy and get an average installer to install. It needs some work on the part of the user to tailor it to individual needs. An average system (without GPS) would cost Rs. 30-40K, less if you are into DIY. You can checkout the 2 active threads in the DIY section for more.
Not entirely true. I got a readymade carputer installed from Car PC based Vehicle Infotaiment Systems | iRide Technologies. Mumbai, India. I got mine installed at an ICE installer (FM Drive, Mumbai) with guidance from iride. If the installer knows his electricals -how to draw power to the CarPC directly from the battery, then its pretty straight forward from then on. Just need to drill a few holes to fasten the CarpC and the LCD touch screen.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Not entirely true. I got a readymade carputer installed from Car PC based Vehicle Infotaiment Systems | iRide Technologies. Mumbai, India. I got mine installed at an ICE installer (FM Drive, Mumbai) with guidance from iride. If the installer knows his electricals -how to draw power to the CarPC directly from the battery, then its pretty straight forward from then on. Just need to drill a few holes to fasten the CarpC and the LCD touch screen.
"One swallow does not make a summer"!

The comparison is with the standardization that is there in ICE. Considering that there are only a handful of companies worldwide (and only 1 company in India) that are into this, that also at DIY level, it is hardly standard yet for the normal "fit it and forget it" desire of customers.

How many of the current carputers mount / work straight out of the box like HU's do? Even you have said "with guidance from iRide"! The WinXX / Linux based carputers follow the same paradigm as PCs - boxes that boot to an OS when powered up, but are hardly usable by common people till you go through a lengthy software installation process. Even though there are millions of PC users today, in 99.9% of the cases it has been setup for them for practical use by someone else AFTER purchasing it. Believe you me, even most software developers today cannot handle that - they need someone from the infra / PC support team!

Now think about a common person like @drchernish. Do you think he can afford to spend quality time in learning / figuring out the how's, why's, do's and don'ts just to get that box do anything practical?
Old 9th May 2008, 17:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

ahem.. Thats why I said "Not entirely true"
Old 9th May 2008, 21:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I know. Sorry, wasn't directed at you - it's a "Babbage v/s Jacquard" issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks