Team-BHP - Icing Safari DICOR 2.2
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Icing Safari DICOR 2.2 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/38799-icing-safari-dicor-2-2-a.html)

Dear fellow bhpians,

I'm planning to book the BULL and get the vehicle from Kerala in the first week of May. Planning to pick up the ICE components from Bangalore so that I can enjoy a nice ride back home. Was reading the various threads on Safari as well as ICIng done by others, but to be frank I am thoroughly confused with the options available.

As a reference point I've made a list below and please give your feedback on this. Thinking of starting with a good HU, front and Sub (tube type). Atm I am using EFX components in my Ford Ikon and the highs are too disturbing and sound good only with the demo cds.

1. Basic Model of Pioneer with good SNR and 3 pre-outs and crossovers for front//rear/sub and if possible Time Correction (Possibly 5750) or Alpine is the way to go ?

2. Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - GT-Series - GTx 663 : GTX 663 Tri way coaxials for front
3. Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - GT-Series - GTc 542 GTC 542 Two way coaxials : Rear Fill
4. Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - GT-Series - GTt 1200 GTt 1200 ???

Jvc 4 channel 50x4 - Already have

I am looking at a balanced system and may be the warm types. Music that I listen to are popular bollywood songs, Ballads, Pop, Blues and a little bit of rock.

Please suggest any good dealers too to pick up the components. Would it be cheaper at Coimbatore ? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

1. Which model have you booked? At least 2 models have ICE built-in
2. Where in Kerala are you getting the vehicle from? Most stuff you will be able to get there itself if you are near CCK or TVM
3. If you want to go in for Blaupunkt, shoot for the THc 130 or 172 (components) in front (the mirror pod inside plate already has the tweeter location), and THx 130 or 172 (co-ax) in the rear. Of course there are other models from JBL, Infinity, Hertz, Illusion, etc. that you could look at - be sure to audition before buying
4. By "Jvc 4 channel 50x4 - Already have" you mean you already have a HU, right?
5. For the GTt1200 (it is a 12" bass tube) you will need an amp - you can't drive it from the HU directly!!! Get the Blaupunkt GTA4 Special Mark II 4-channel amp: connect the front components to 2 channels, and bridge the other 2 to the bass tube

If you are in Bangalore, go to Mandovi Motors (Wilson Garden or Kanakapura Road) - they are the main distributors so you can get a decent discount.

Quote:

1. Which model have you booked? At least 2 models have ICE built-in
I am going for LX the non ICE version.

Quote:

2. Where in Kerala are you getting the vehicle from? Most stuff you will be able to get there itself if you are near CCK or TVM
I am planning to take the vehicle from Cochin

Quote:

4. By "Jvc 4 channel 50x4 - Already have" you mean you already have a HU, right?
Its a 4 channel amplifier with 55w RMS/channel. I've a JVC HU too which I am giving away with the Ikon as I am planning to go for HU upgrade.

I was thinking of picking up the components from Bangalore due to wider choices and the demo options. Do you know any place where I can audition various brands of speakers with an alpine HU or other HU brands ? I went for Blaupunkt as they are between the brighter and warmer side. I am willing to spend upto 5-6k for the front speaker package and music preferences are listed in the last thread. Any good option other than Blaupunkt is also fine for me. I am not inclined towards any particular brand. JBLs with Pioneer combo looks bright to me. I've head this in my one of my relatives Alto. May be bad tuning, he runs an entire JBL system with 4 ch JBL amp and no sub.

To be frank, I havent heard many ICE set ups to say that this is what I want. In my mind I can visualize the sound I want and that is a neutral one, not brighter or too warmer. Clear sound with rich bass and exact reproduction of the recording without accenting any particular frequencies. Thanks for all your inputs once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroom77 (Post 807450)
I am going for LX the non ICE version.

I am planning to take the vehicle from Cochin

Which dealer?

Would suggest some good damping for the doors as the plastic rattles a bit when you pump up the volume and if the song has some thump in it.

Would suggest compos and a sub.

Hi,

I have mentioned the ice setup for my safari somewhere here in the forum.

Not able to dig it out,

I have used a

1) Sony DVD HU
2) MBQuart Components in the Front
3) MBQuart Speakers in the mid row
4) MBQuart 12 inch Sub in the rear
5) Sony 4 Channel amp
6) Pricol 7 inch Headrest screens

This did the trick for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 807515)
Which dealer?

Would suggest some good damping for the doors as the plastic rattles a bit when you pump up the volume and if the song has some thump in it.

Would suggest compos and a sub.

Thanks das, It would be mostly RF motors as Koyeko refused many offers when I said loan will be from SBI and Insurance is via the NCB route :)

Did you use damping in your SAFARI ? Do we get Dynamats here or any budget alternatives ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroom77 (Post 807549)
Thanks das, It would be mostly RF motors as Koyeko refused many offers when I said loan will be from SBI and Insurance is via the NCB route :)

Did you use damping in your SAFARI ? Do we get Dynamats here or any budget alternatives ?

The new Safari will not buzz or rattle so much, but it would be a good idea to get it done sometime. Adding damping to that massive FRP door panels will effectively give a lot more sound volume. I don't think the showroom guys would like to have the vehicle hanging around in the showroom long enough to get the damping done, so check out first.

Can someone help me out with the other questions too please. I've looked at one headunit and need your feedback ? Its an Alpine CDA-9884. Which component would be the best bet to go with this ? Blaupunkt THX series, MB Quarts, Polks or Hertz ? I favor Blaupunkt for its compatibility to stock locations (Not sure if all the 6.5s fits in though) but can defenitely take another if SQ is good. My budget is around 5-8k for a good set of components. Please suggest a bass tube also which falls under 5-8k to go along with this. Thanks and cheers.

The Alpine is good SQ - how much are you getting it for?

Unless you get a REAL good discount, the MBQ and Polks are not VFM. No A.S.S. to speak of. Not sure of the MBQ, but the Polks are definitely bright. Hertz DSx would fit in your budget and is good, but again, no A.S.S. and no way to audition. Infinity is less bright as compared to JBL, but is slightly costlier. Blau advantage is terrific A.S.S. and moderate prices for the sound.

6.5" will fit in the stock location, just needs a bit of filing based on the frame of the speaker to be mounted, which the showroom guys will be able to do.

The Blau GTt1200 is a good bass tube; alternately look at the JBL tube. You could perhaps pay a visit to the JBL brand shop if you want to check out the JBL tube, more so if you want to audition the Infinity components (6020c).

Excellent DerAlte, very informative and to the point. It covers many things that I wanted to know. Thanks for that. I went through some reviews in the internet (crutchfield) on Apline models and this one was available at $200. My BIL is flying down this weekend and will ask him to pick it up from Dubai or Doha. I am a bit worried of fake stuff here and thats why even if I dont get a price advantage at Doha, I will pick it up with a upper limit at 10k. Dubai prices AFAIK (from past purchases) are same as that of US prices. Will update the actual price once I get it or he enquires there.

With all your inputs I think it would be safe to lock on, Apline + Blaupunkt THX models components for front + Blaupunkt Bass tube (Just to ensure that all are from the same brand and hence match). Great to hear that 6.5 comps match well with Safari's stock location and I can postpone the dampening thing.

Can you suggest a reasonably good wiring kit (Brand + Price ) and from where I can get them, please.

you can put 6.5s in safari without any modifications but if its 'slightly' bigger then it can be a problem because the stock position of the midbass in safari is pointing slightly 'upward' which is a pain to cut and install.

6" Speakers are direct fit in the Safari. One only need to cut the plastic behind the magnet. No issues with mounting diameter.

You're going in for a new HU.
It's not that hard to make out a fake HU with naked eyes. If you're getting Alpine 988x series, I would recommend you to get one here with B&W. There'll be definitely a bit of a price difference between Dubai and here. But you'll not be able to get any warranty here if it's bought from Dubai.
Alpine will be the best choice for you as what I can make out from your posts.

You have a JVC amp with you. But it is just a basic amp and don't expect it to make wonders into your setup. But it will be better than what a normal HU can put out. So, you can use it in your setup until you plan to get a new amp. As told earlier, use 2 channels for the fronts and bridge 2 channels for the sub/tube.

Now, let's come to the most important part. Speakers! This will play a vital role in your setup.
First of all, if you go around bangalore, you'll find many car accessories shops where you'll be able to have a demo of almost every major brands. Do some study, amongst them and come to a conclusion. Then, there are brands which are not easy to get a demo of. But they may exceed many others in SQ. These ones will have to be decided either by other enthusiasts' opinions/user reviews/online research.
I would count brands like Infinity Kappa, Illusion audio (especially, the carbon series), Hertz, Rainbow audio, Focal, Morel, Dynaudio etc... amongst them.
As you are in Bangalore now, it is better you do your demo run as much as possible in different shops. But if you are buying the vehicle in Cochin, it doesn't make much sense to buy the equipment from Bangalore and then get it fitted in Cochin. You'll be able to get rid of installation charges if you install it from the same place where you buy from. There are some good places in Cochin where you can get good products and good installation. Read thru the forum and you'll come across it.

Get some good quality wiring for your setup. Atleast the RCAs. EFX, Scosche, Audison etc.. are a few to name.

Get your homework done. Get your dream vehicle. Get your dream ICE and post pictures here. Until then, we're all here to help you in every step.
So! :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 808036)
... brands like Infinity Kappa, Illusion audio (especially, the carbon series), Hertz, Rainbow audio, Focal, Morel, Dynaudio etc...

Errr ... @speedzak, his budget is 5-6K. Keeping up traditions you are tying booster rockets to it!:D

The final set becomes,

1. Alpine CDA-9884 ( Need to get the actual prices from DXB or US). Its going at $200. (Source crutchfield)
2. Front components - ?
Quote:

. If you want to go in for Blaupunkt, shoot for the THc 130 or 172 (components) in front (the mirror pod inside plate already has the tweeter location), and THx 130 or 172 (co-ax) in the rear.
I dont see 130 or 172. DerAlte, can you confirm whether it is,
Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - TH-Series - THc 662 ( THC 542) or
Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - TH-Series - THc 542 (THC 652), that will fit well in Safari.

3. Sub is going to be : GTt 1200,
Blaupunkt - Loudspeakers - GT-Series - GTt 1200

Altogether I expect the cost will stay within 25k. As I told before, I have the 55x4 JVC amplifier with me. Can someone tell me details on some good interconnects brands (medium budget ones to wire this system up)

Can the gurus please have a look at the final system and give me a go ahead or any better options that you would recommend looking at is always welcome. I would like to thank everyone who has given their valuable inputs and I never expected all these to be so easy. All thanks to teambhp.

Prices for the above mentioned speakers
Thc 662 - 4000/pair
GTt 1200 - 5750 one piece
Tx 652 - 5000 - 6000

Total without HU - 14750-15750 (No discounts)

This detail I got from Alpine Bangalore headquarters, reachable at 080 22992820

Waiting for replies on other queries. Thanks.