Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 17:09   #1
BHPian

GT0 937 vs. GT5-963

Hi all,

After getting all the expert views from everyone from the forum.. I got my alto iced.. and guess what i dint even needed any new thread to be started for getting this info.. everything was already discussed by someone or other...

Anyways, i got a Pio 5050 HU and JBL GT5-402 in the stock location and GT5-963 in a single big box... mdf box.. heavy one.. and i am pretty much happy with this setup... the bog box does the trick i guess... i had to sacrifice (completely!) on the boot space.. but i dont mind it given the performance...

Okay, While auditioning, I had found that the GT937 had a higher peak wattage than the GT5-963 series... i guess 300 was for the 937 and its 210 for my GT5963... Can someone please clarify whether the 937 is better than 963 (technology-wise) or is it vice-versa? my novice brain says that the newer series would be the better technology.. am i right in this one???

Now my question is, if i need to add a 4 channel sub for driving these co-ax's.. would this peak wattage make any difference? would the GT5-963 with 210w power handle the amp? and also need advice on what would be the best performing budget amp available these days?

Mods: I had searched on the boards for the GT5 series co-ax but did not get any threads.. Sorry if it being already discussed in some other post..
Old 25th April 2008, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

From whatever I have keard GTO is better Technology than GT5 But GT5 is the latest one.

Sam can elaborate here

p.s. its GTO 937 & not GT937
Old 25th April 2008, 17:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Okay, While auditioning, I had found that the GT937 had a higher peak wattage than the GT5-963 series... i guess 300 was for the 937 and its 210 for my GT5963... Can someone please clarify whether the 937 is better than 963 (technology-wise) or is it vice-versa? my novice brain says that the newer series would be the better technology.. am i right in this one???

Now my question is, if i need to add a 4 channel sub for driving these co-ax's.. would this peak wattage make any difference? would the GT5-963 with 210w power handle the amp? and also need advice on what would be the best performing budget amp available these days?
Congrats on your setup man. Have a great time.

Dont look at the peak power, for the speakers and for the amp. That's just a marketing gimmick and is of no practical use. What is more practical is the rms power. it will be mentioned in the box.

And any amp should drive the components without any problems. Only the sub needs more power from the amp to perform well.

There are good budget amps by JBL and Blaupunkt and there are threads on it. do search around.
Old 25th April 2008, 17:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hello Baba.

First let me tell you that this style of posting with many dots is frowned upon by Team-BHP, please avoid it completely in the future OK? Thanks for that in advance.

Now first - good speakers, congratulations, good sound for the money and all that. Now sit back and enjoy them, don't do any post-mortems saying which is better and which is not.

GT5 is newer technology than GTO, but the GTO are a higher series and more expensive too.

You said 4 channel sub, I assume you meant amplifiers. There are many budget amps that will drive those speakers. To put your mind at ease, any amplifier that would drive the GTO937 will drive these too. Do not worry about the power ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Dont look at the peak power, for the speakers and for the amp. That's just a marketing gimmick and is of no practical use.
There are good budget amps by JBL and Blaupunkt and there are threads on it. do search around.
Correct on all counts.

Cheers
Sam
Old 25th April 2008, 18:02   #5
BHPian

hey thanks a ton praveen..

the rms specifications are 70w... and these are c-ax's.. not compos...
so do you think it would be okay to power them by a amp?

also i'm still curious on knowing the difference between thse two series...
GT5 being the latest.. how come its not that popular...

sam bhai.. please revert... some marketing strategy??? or feature difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello Baba.

First let me tell you that this style of posting with many dots is frowned upon by Team-BHP, please avoid it completely in the future OK? Thanks for that in advance.
thanks! but why baba?

Quote:
Now first - good speakers, congratulations, good sound for the money and all that. Now sit back and enjoy them, don't do any post-mortems saying which is better and which is not.
well i am pretty much enjoying them, but was curious about this.
Quote:
GT5 is newer technology than GTO, but the GTO are a higher series and more expensive too.
umm. as far as i remember, the cost of both of them were similar (+/- Rs.200) and also your comment has confused me more. do you mean to say GTO are higher series but old technology and GT% are lower series with new technology? if that is the case than the similar pricing of both can be justified as one uses new technology and one uses old.

also, if am not asking for too much, what exactly is this new technology used in the GT% series?

P.S. had a tought time not using more than one . at a time..!

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th April 2008 at 15:45.
Old 25th April 2008, 19:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Simple.
GTO is superior than GT5.
Old 25th April 2008, 20:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
the rms specifications are 70w... and these are c-ax's.. not compos...
so do you think it would be okay to power them by a amp?
compnents or co-axials, it should not be a problem powering them from an amp. All the amps have a gain setting which can be adjusted to prevent clipping/distortion.

I am going to power the JBL 507 components through the JBL75.4 amp which is too powerful for the components, but I need the power to run the Sub from the amp's rear channels.
Old 26th April 2008, 14:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMO: The GT5 963 speaker sounds better than the GTO 937. I have been installing both speakers almost every other day, and the GT5 is just too good value for money. It sounds less noisier than the GTO and has some good loudness to go with the speaker. Despite of being a lower model it does sound better than the GTO.

The GT5 650C Component speaker can sound more clear than the GTO 607 component again in most combinations, but with the right amp and settings / tuning the GTO607 can sound a little better than the GT5 650C.

Considering the GT5s are a lower series than GTO, and priced cheaper they are a very good buy.
The Smaller GT5 speakers like the 5.25" and 6.5" Coaxials are priced like Sony but can kill Sony hands down in performance.
Old 28th April 2008, 10:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
IMO: The GT5 963 speaker sounds better than the GTO 937. I have been installing both speakers almost every other day, and the GT5 is just too good value for money. It sounds less noisier than the GTO and has some good loudness to go with the speaker. Despite of being a lower model it does sound better than the GTO.

The GT5 650C Component speaker can sound more clear than the GTO 607 component again in most combinations, but with the right amp and settings / tuning the GTO607 can sound a little better than the GT5 650C.

Considering the GT5s are a lower series than GTO, and priced cheaper they are a very good buy.
The Smaller GT5 speakers like the 5.25" and 6.5" Coaxials are priced like Sony but can kill Sony hands down in performance.
Yes. Even I personally felt that the GT5 963 sounds better than the GTO 937, that too when we say that the GT5's are lower series than the GTO.

I am curious to know what makes GT5's a lower series than GTO, when infact the former sounds better than the later and also that the GT5's are newer technology than the GTO's.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Im surprised.
I've listened to the 937 in different cars and homes(some use it) too.
I've felt these are by far the best sounding ,super VFM speakers.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:09   #11
BHPian

I got enlightened yesterday! went through a very old threads discussing the GT5 and GTO range. Take a lesson, always go through the threads thoroughly before posting a new one. But actually it dint turned up in the search.!

Anyways, going through the thread, i have noted the following points, please correct me if i am wrong,

1. In terms of series placement in the JBL product basket, GTO>GT5>CS
2. GT5 series is a budget range launched by JBL to mass-market. (Though not a huge variance in the prices of both!)
3. GTO are brighter than GT5 (confirmed by sam as well) GT5's have a bit laid back sound.

I guess point # 3 is the reason I personally prefer GT5 series over the GTO's. And this might be the reason even blueraven316 had preferred them over GTO. Am I correct blueraven316?

Okay, now I am pretty clear over the issues.!

TBHP saved the day again..!
Old 30th April 2008, 11:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

The GT5 speaker might be less bright compared to the GTO, but it is not a laid back speaker at all, it gets loud as it needs to. But, compared to the GTO, it is laid back. Good Speaker IMO at that price point.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:52   #13
BHPian

yes. i meant in comparison with GTO, its a bit laid back. even i'm a fan of this speaker mate..
Old 30th April 2008, 12:08   #14
BHPian

Now that this confusion is cleared, I have few more queries.

I have fitted GT5-402 in the front stock location and GT5-963 in a big box in the boot and drive em with a Pio 5050 directly. I am planning to install 4 ch amp to power this setup now (probably a GT5 A604, or a Kenwood 5401 amp, both around 5k).

1. Which would be the best 4 ch amp to drive this setup? Budget around 5k.
2. Is the current setup capable to be powered with the amp?
3. Which is the best location for the amp in a alto, install pics will be great!
4. I dont plan to install a sub right now, which place in pune do i get the install done? and for how much?

Request expert advice..!
Old 30th April 2008, 12:27   #15
BHPian

@blueraven,

Sorry im going a bit OT but its still about the GT5 series

Could you also post your opinion on the 4-ch GT5 amp ? How does it compare to other similar budget amps ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks