Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 10:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Urgent Help required on ICE upgrade in my Maruti 800!

To all the Gurus, really need your help here,

I am looking to upgrade my 2006 M800 ICE this weekend, and have been planning and researching for a long time now. At present I have JBL 937 6X9s in the rear and small coaxials in front under the dashboard. Powered by a Pioneer DEH 4850 HU.

I am looking to install a 4 channel amp, a subwoofer, front components, and retain my 6X9s for rear fill.

Yesterday, I went to my regular ICE installer, who had done a very decent job with my present ICE install, and is an honest guy with genuine stuff. He advised me on the following setup, as per my requirements:

1.JBL front component set, 6.5", GT5 series: Rs.4500
2.JBL 504 amplifier, 4 channel: Rs.7800
3.JBL 1100 W 12"" subwoofer along with local enclosure manufactured by this guy: Rs. 4700 (with original JBL manufactured enclosure, this would be 7200 bucks)
4.RCA cables: 350 X 2= Rs.700
5.Power cable and other misccellaneous charges= Rs.400.

Totals to 18.1K. All of the above are with bill and warranty, no grey market stuff for me!

What do you think of the above quote? Any shortages/excesses? Anything else I should be considering?

Also, my present head unit is a Pioneer DEH 4850, which has 2 pre-outs. I was advised by this guy to upgrade to a DEH 5090, which has three preouts and which would better suit my upgraded config. What do you think?

Lastly, would I require damping? If yes, where? And what amout would I need to budget for this?

Looking forward to all your inputs, since I need to freeze of the configuration and budget by this Friday, so that I can get the install done this weekend.
Thanks and please post your replies soon
Old 7th May 2008, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
1.JBL front component set, 6.5", GT5 series: Rs.4500
2.JBL 504 amplifier, 4 channel: Rs.7800
3.JBL 1100 W 12"" subwoofer along with local enclosure manufactured by this guy: Rs. 4700 (with original JBL manufactured enclosure, this would be 7200 bucks)
4.RCA cables: 350 X 2= Rs.700
5.Power cable and other misccellaneous charges= Rs.400.
* The HU is just fine, and doesn't need changing at this moment. So is your decision to retain the ovals. Please remember - once the sub goes in, the rear ovals will have to be driven from the HU, since the front components and the sub will be driven from the 4-channel amp you are getting
* Your installer does not seem to be compromising on his margins, considering b&w
* Please check around in the ICE forums for M800 installations - the 6.5" don't seem a natural on the front doors, and would need some cutting-shutting!
* An alternative to that would be 4" components in the dash location
* Damping would be definitely required in the M800, more so since you are putting in a sub. The obvious areas would be:
- Front doors (both the metal parts as well as the door pad)
- Rear hatch (lots, including the number plate)
- A-pillar plastic cover
- Parts of the dashboard itself
- Sides of the boot
- Possibly the floor (front, driver and passenger side; for reducing road noise) and the firewall
* You have not mentioned what brand of RCAs has he suggested for you
* Who is your installer?

Do check prices at a couple of more locations to be sure.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte for your reply.
Well he has not mentioned any RCA brand to me, but I would possibly be looking to spend a little more to get Schosche/Audison and the likes for wiring.
How much do you think the damping would cost me?
As for the head unit, I would be looking to upgrade that since mine does not have a USB capability and only 2 preouts, wheras the 5090 does have USB and 3 pre outs.
My installer is Autoshop, Koramangala, the brothers Kumar and Suraj. I have had a good experience with them on earlier occasions, so thought Id stick to them.
Didnt understand your comment about the installer's margins. Do you think hes overcharging me anywhere? All the costs mentioned include the labour charges for fitment etc. so theres no separate charge for installation. If the prices seem high for some of the hardware, it maybe that he's quoted the price with the installation charge in mind. I say this because I have got the impression that the brothers are honest people, dealing in quality stuff, and recommended by quite a few on this forum.
Look forward to your feedback again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks