Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 11:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800-JBLed and rocking! Share my elation and double it!

I have attempted to share my thoughts and feelings on getting an upgrade my ICE. Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own , and of ourse are open to suggestions, comments and criticism
Well, the day had finally arrived. Saturday, 10th May, 2008. Leading up to the day had been innumerable hours of research on the web and specifically on Team BHP, and the latter, like with all or most newbies, left me more confused than decided! And of course, as is again the norm here, my budget got overshot by thousands after I had been through the different threads on the ICE section. I had spent several months with the question posed in my mind- Should I or should I not go for an ICE upgrade in my car? I knew it was going to be a pricey deal, since good things don’t come for free.I also had an existing Pioneer DEH-4850/JBL CS 4” round speakers/JBL 937 setup in my 800, which, I may add, gave me very decent SQ. But man is greedy, and I had been thirsting for better sound clarity, more bass, and most importantly, an exclusively front soundstage, since I am alone in the car 99% of the time, and I never ever let anyone else drive my car, for whatever reason. So in short I wanted a driver focused system.
I had decided on adding an amplifier, a subwoofer, and front components, and after extensive research on TBHP and constant discussions with my installer (Autoshop, Bangalore, the brothers Kumar and Suraj), I decided on the following setup:
  • Front components: JBL GT5 series 6.5”. I was again in a dilemma whether to go for the GTO series, but by and large, what I found out (after auditions and from the advice of the Gurus here, specifically Sam, Navin, Raghu and Satya) was that the GT5 series is focused more on sound quality/clarity rather than the highs which the GTO series would provide. I was not interested in ear splitting treble, and was focused on getting the best clarity of sound I could get within my limited budget (which was overshot anyway, so )
  • Amplifier: JBL GTO 504 4 channel. Again, the GT5 604 was another option, but I decided against it since my ears told me the 504 was the way to go.
  • Subwoofer: JBL sealed enclosure, 1000 watts, CS1204B. Well simple decision here, since I wasn’t interested at all in boomy bass. What interested me was tight and compact bass, within my budget, and there’s not a doubt in my mind that this woofer does the trick for me.
  • Wiring : Pyle
[Yes, I am a JBL fan, as you can see, so my sound comes entirely from JBL.]
  • Head Unit: I was happy all these days with the DEH 4850, but (1) it had 2 pre outs and more importantly did not have USB compatibility. Before the day of the installation , I had paid a preliminary visit to my installer and the Pioneer DEH 5090 had caught my fancy, with plug and play iPod/USB compatibility, and good sound quality.
When I got my estimate, however, it was like someone had punched the air out of my solar plexus. 30K almost. Sob! However I am one of those stubborn people who refuses to even think about grey market items for his car audio. Had I been Ok with that, my prices would have come down to almost half the amount. But then, tossing and turning over the matter that night, I realized that the configuration I was looking at would, in all probability give me the sound I had been looking for, and that there are no free lunches in this world. I decided to go for it! The only thing that was bugging me was that I would not get any resale value whatsoever for my old head unit and my front 4” speakers, both immaculately maintained and used for a year and a half.
As luck would have it however, one of my colleagues had just bought a second hand Zen, and was looking to get a new head unit, and another friend wanted only the front speakers for his existing setup. Man was I kicked!! Talk about meeting the right people at the right times. He he!! Well we struck a deal at 2500 for the DEH 4850 and 1000 for the front 4 inchers. So that gave me a 3.5k shave off my budget, and I thought it was a fair deal.
Well, Saturday the 10th finally arrived, and I had hardly slept the previous night. I was busy compiling songs on my pendrive and dreaming about my soon to come ICE upgrade. You see, some of you might think I was over excited about the matter, but the fact is, that I am absolutely almost as fanatical about my car and EVERYTHING that goes with it or accessorises it. And I am fanatical about music, my tastes being eclectic, and ranging from Indian classical, to old and new Hindi, trance, hip hop, rock, instrumental and most other genres too. I believe in doing things (especially big investments) after careful consideration and planning, and when the day comes to execute the planning, I do get excited in anticipation of how things would work out.
I had heard from various people on this forum that damping is an absolute must in the 800, and I was prepared for it. When I discissed the matter with Suraj, he was pretty definite in his answer that the 800 would not need any damping, and it at all it needed to be done, it would only be required only on the boot door. Well I was far from convinced since logic told me that the flimsy doors of an 800 would rattle.
When I got to Autoshop on early on Saturday (it was just opening), their chief workman (who had done a very good job of my existing installation) was adamant in his opinion that there would be no effect of adding components in an 800, since he was of the opinion that (1) the entire car would vibrate like it was the end of the world and (2) amping the front 4” would give me decent enough sound. I was in agreement with his second point, but I also knew that component speakers was a different ball game altogether and no amount of amping the front 4 inchers would give me anything that sounded even remotely like a pair of good components.
I bugged Suraj for the umpteenth time about my concern on the rattling/vibration. He is a patient man, I must say, and he explained yet again, and with a lot of confidence, that I need not worry about it. Worry I did though, and I was really nervous about how well my car would take it.
Anyways, the iinstallation took a good 5.5 hours, I was there hovering beside the car and all around it for the entire time, breaking only for a quick lunch. The front door panels also had to be cut for the 6.5” midranges to go in comfortably, with spacer rings positioning them properly. Tweeters were fitted on the dash, at the point of intersection of the A pillar and the dashboard. The amplifier, which looked super sexy, by the way, went under the front co passenger’s seat. A neat hole was drilled into my glove compartment so that the USB cable went into the glove box and didn’t create unsightly protrusions in the cabin space. The crossovers went into hiding behind the plastic panels under the dashboard.
In the meantime my friend and colleague had come over, and they got my old head unit and front speakers fitted too. We chatted, smoked like chimneys and cooled off with Coke (the liquid kind, before you guys get ideas). It was hot, and I had been hanging around the whole of the morning and afternoon, but it was all for a noble cause.
Well finally Suraj tuned the amplifier and Head unit settings, and I crossed my heart and sat inside for the first audition of my very own upgraded ICE.
Blown over. That’s what I was, once I heard my system. It was extraordinary, the quality of sound, and the intensity of the bass, wonderful, superlative and crystal clear at the same time. What clear and sweet sound from the components and the subwoofer was kicking at my mule. My hair, or whatever little I have of it, was actually blowing in the air vibrations caused by the sub! Well I couldn’t be happier. This was exactly what I had wanted: tight and compact bass, and crystal clear sound from front, giving a faithful reproduction of the track as it was meant to be heard. Each instrument, every modulation in the voices, and every beat went into my ears. Lovely!

Its getting to be an extraordinarily long post, but it feels god to share my elation with fellow BHPians. So forgive me for being so detailed in describing the experience, and put it down to an excitable newbie whos got the ICE of his dreams!

PS1: I was on the Bangalore Mysore Highway for most of that night, testing various tracks on my system. None disappointed me. None. Returned at 5 in the morning.
PS2: Like Suraj had assured me, there was ABSOLUTEL NO VIBRATION/RATTLING at all in my car, except for a little on the hatch door panel since the sub was directed straight at it. Kudos to him! I used some inexpensive damping material to rectify the same. Thereafter, there was no damping anywhere, for any volumes whatsoever.
PS3: Thanks to Autoshop, Suraj,, the mechanics there who did a fabulous job on a car that is not easy to work with vis-à-vis ICE. And of course my profound thanks to Navin, Satya, Raghu, Der Alte, LBM and all the others who I have bugged with my countless PMs, and in whose advice I have found a treasure trove of ICE know-how.
PS4: I don’t have any pics, since I don’t have a camera, nor a cam on my phone. Sorry for that guys. Hope my elaborate post lets you have some of the flavour of the installation. My total installation was worth 29.5k, I shall give you the breakup a little later.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2008 at 12:22. Reason: Font tags removed.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel really happy for you. Enjoy the drive. Thats a nice setup you have there.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a good install and whenever you can ,do post pics of the same brother. Is this the shop thats in Koramangala off the Robert Bosch Gate. I think down the road you might get some rattling and did not understand how can a 800 alone does not require damping? Have fun and drive dafe.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have rarely seen so much happiness derived from 30,000 rupees. There is the worth of it all.

I loved your joy and enthusiasm and your post. Enjoy your music and the next time I am in Bangalore, maybe you can take me for a small drive, if you are free.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Way to go, Arindam, we share your happiness! Enjoy you rmusic (but keep your eyes on the road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
...PS1: I was on the Bangalore Mysore Highway for most of that night, testing various tracks on my system. None disappointed me. None. Returned at 5 in the morning....
Nothing unusual there. There is this other gentleman who got so high on his ICE installation that he drove from Chandigarh (I think, not sure) to almost Shimla!!!
Old 12th May 2008, 13:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have rarely seen so much happiness derived from 30,000 rupees. There is the worth of it all.

I loved your joy and enthusiasm and your post. Enjoy your music and the next time I am in Bangalore, maybe you can take me for a small drive, if you are free.
Sam sir,
The drive goes without saying, your posts over the months enlightened me no end, and helped me take a decision after much fretting and butterflies in the stomach. As for the 30k bucks, I have just started my career and the amount is a big one for me. So it took a lot of deliberation on my part to take the step, and complete disregard for those who insisted that ICEing an 800 was not a very intelligent thing to do!

DerALte, Thanks a lot. Yes I was quite high on my system, and still am, and will be for a long time to come. I didnt believe I was playing the same tracks, the difference in quality from the upgrade was that high!

Thanks to veryone else for sharing my joy. Its a great feeling to barter ones happiness, and on the flip side, makes me forget about the lightening of the wallet
Old 12th May 2008, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
That looks like a good install and whenever you can ,do post pics of the same brother. Is this the shop thats in Koramangala off the Robert Bosch Gate. I think down the road you might get some rattling and did not understand how can a 800 alone does not require damping? Have fun and drive dafe.
Mavrick,
Thanks, it is a great install IMHO. Yes its the same shop that youre referring to. I have found them to be brilliant in their, neat organised, and very importantly, polite and reasonable in pricing. No its not the 800 alone, but whatever it was, I am not getting any rattling now. Will go for damping as and when the need arises, and as and when my coffers get refilled And the pics will come ASAP.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Arindam - This is the most I have seen going into a 800. Sounds like you're quite happy. What we need now is pics to see how well its setup.

+ The Yeti is impressed and wants a ICE test ride. hummmm !!
Old 12th May 2008, 14:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
So it took a lot of deliberation on my part to take the step, and complete disregard for those who insisted that ICEing an 800 was not a very intelligent thing to do!
That's the spirit. Enjoy the music.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Arindam - This is the most I have seen going into a 800. Sounds like you're quite happy. What we need now is pics to see how well its setup.

+ The Yeti is impressed and wants a ICE test ride. hummmm !!
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I am happy, and trust me, I was on a limited budget and so had to be careful not to go over the top. All in all , though, I am very satisfied with the sound quality and the extra kick. Pics are going to come soon, as soon as I can get hold of a camera. Yes the Yeti does want a test drive, so that in itself is an honour for me.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]B&T sir- Thanks. I do love my music, and since I am even more passionate about my car, I decided to combine the two and forget about the sceptics[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
Old 12th May 2008, 15:04   #11
BHPian

I rarely visit / post in the ICE section, because most of the stuff flies over my head. Your post was fantastic, beautifully detailed and I enjoyed reading it. Congratulations, enjoy your set up.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good going, Arindam! Congrats on the setup! I really enjoyed going through your post, and you made me remember how I felt "the first time" too .

Enjoy!

Do post some pics!
Old 12th May 2008, 15:16   #13
BHPian

Congrats Arindam.

One could almost sense your excitement reading the post. Good equipment and an equally good write.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Really cool post on ICEing a car!

Enjoy the drive!
Old 13th May 2008, 01:09   #15
BHPian

dude!!! great setup and your first post speak of your joy and happiness. Enjoy JBL in your car. Its surely is the best VFM brand i have seen around. And you can count on it as in past i have had a complete JBL system in my ride.

Two compliments from my side:
1) A beautiful car audio u have.
2) And you have a KADAK english boss!!! Really impressed. You can easily become a writer/righter/wrighter/riter ....see i am so bad at engligh. Just kidding dude

Great setup and have a nice time

Dont call ur car Marti 800. Call it Maruti 900+, as u have 100db of sound inside it

Cheers

Last edited by amit_sound : 13th May 2008 at 01:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks