Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 14:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

De-ICING My Alto

Yes, You read it right, DE-Iced. Why? Because I got a good deal for her and decided to sell her off. I recently ICE'ed my Alto on 1-Mar-08 with a Pioneer 3050, 2 JBL 937's Rear and 2 JBL 4" front, with 1 Sony 2 CH Amp and Scoche wiring. I wasnt offered a good price with ICE so decided to take it out and use it in my next car.

Biggest LOSS was Scoshe's Wiring because a Alto's Length wont fit the Indigo CS Dicor's wiring. (Yes, thats a hint), But thats was 2K spent to enjoy a couple of months. The next guy who got my car is sure lucky to get that wiring.

--------Why is this thread here------

Question - I am planning to use the 3050, 1 Sony 2CH Amp, and the 2 6*9's and 2 - 4"s on my (Yet to Get) Indigo CS. I saw that the Indigo has provisions for 2 round at the back, 2 xxx" compo's in front door, and 2 tiny at the front.

I am planning to cut out 2-6*9's holes in the rear parcel tray and get the ovals done in rear. I want to use the 4"s in the front dash too.

BUT - Can I also get a simple set of Compo's and hook them up to the front doors - Say a 6 speaker system?

MY PLAN - Run the 2 ovals and 2 4" OFF the HU Direct, and run the COMPO's through the 2CH AMP.

Is this possible, OK, not ok, any other idea's, like run the front 4" and COMP off the HU, and the Rear Ovals Off the AMP for more bass?

I am on a tight budget - so please tell me some real nice idea's.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sell the 4" and the sony 2ch amp.
Get a set of JBL 507 or 607 fro front and the GT5 4-ch JBL amp.
Pucca VFM setup.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tsk says that 4 speakers in front is a great idea. None else has tried it out though
Old 12th May 2008, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Getting a 6.5"" component to augment you will get a brilliant 3-way system with your 4 inchers - IF you are able to figure out the right cross-overs:
- the 6.5" mid-bass would be band-passed to handle the 80-400Hz region
- the 4", now true mid-range, would receive 400Hz - 4Khz, via band-pass
- the tweeters would get all the rest above 4KHz via high-pass

This passive 3-way system would not have too much flexibility of tuning (unless L-pads are implemented with pots) but, if done right, you will get the benefits of a high-end system for peanuts!

Drive this 3-way system from the 2-ch amp, and the 6x9s from the HU (if you don't want another amp). The ovals will partly cover the bass from the back in this setup.

Later, if and when you become hungrier for bass, you can shift the 2-ch amp to drive a sub, and get a 4-ch to drive the components in front and ovals at back.

Last edited by DerAlte : 12th May 2008 at 17:01.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sell the 4" and the sony 2ch amp.
Get a set of JBL 507 or 607 fro front and the GT5 4-ch JBL amp.
Pucca VFM setup.
I paid nearly 1200 - 4" and 2500 - 2CH, I am sure I wont even get 3K for them now!!!, But please let me know how much are the 507/607 and GT5-4CH Amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Tsk says that 4 speakers in front is a great idea. None else has tried it out though
Hopefully I turn out to be the 1st one, just dont want to overcook it, hope to lay my hands on the car first. If my brain works as per my heart, I may endup doing a 6 speaker set up. Not sure on the 2nd Amp part-if its needed, thats why I opened this thread.

---------
Edit -

DerAlte - Getting a 6.5"" component to augment you will get a brilliant 3-way system with your 4 inchers - IF you are able to figure out the right cross-overs:--
Could you please tell me what is a cross over? And who can do it for me correctly in bangalore?

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th May 2008 at 17:00.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
... Could you please tell me what is a cross over? And who can do it for me correctly in bangalore?
A cross-over allows (or prevents) a range of frequencies to pass to speakers. They come in three kinds
- Low-pass (obviously passing everything lower than a designed frequency and rejecting everything else)
- Band-pass (passing everything higher than a designed frequency and lower than another, and rejecting everything else)
- High-pass (passing everything higher than a designed frequency and rejecting everything lower than that)

Your best bet would be some electronics components shops on SP Road (near City Market). Start enquiring with Globe Electronics - if they don't have ready-made ones they will either be able to make one for you, or recommend someone who can. You would need to do some walking around.

Before you do that, search for threads in the ICE section - there are a couple where cross-over designs have been discussed by Navin and others.

Small correction to my earlier post: the 6.5" mid-bass can be fed via a Low-pass below 400Hz, as long as there is no sub. If there is a sub, then it has to be a bandpass 80-400Hz.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

most budget 3 ways have a crossover only for the tweeter. I had a close look at my hertz 3 way coax. the mid and woofer were connected direct, and there was a capacitor in series with the tweeter. I guess it's an, er 2.5 way then

maybe you can add a larger value cap in series with the mid

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th May 2008 at 17:59.
Old 12th May 2008, 18:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
most budget 3 ways have a crossover only for the tweeter. ... it's an, er 2.5 way then
The operating word is "budget"! If they had serious cross-overs instead, they would qualify as "components" and be priced higher, no?

Anyhow, that doesn't take anything away from their being 3-way components. As long as power being pushed through is limited to be within their designed capacity, the mechanical characteristics make sure that each of the those dinky little bubbles does it's share of the job.
Quote:
maybe you can add a larger value cap in series with the mid
Oy, don't take short cuts. When one has the possibility of stalwarts like Navin and B&T helping out, short-cuts are needless risks.
Old 12th May 2008, 18:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was just suggesting a quick and dirty solution. I've felt that design of higher order crossovers is a black art, and a tunnel from which there is no exit, and I'm too scared to venture into . heck, even with all the help, I'm bound to screw up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks