Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Has my installer taken me for a ride??

Hi Gurus,

Recently my Swift Dzire vxi got delivered. As it came with a built-in music system and 4 speakers I decided to get the speakers upgraded first. I had JBL 6x9s in mind. But after we took out the old (rear) speakers it was clear that body cutting will have to be done to install 6x9s. I decided against that and opted for components instead. I asked for JBL 6.5" GTO and was quoted Rs. 6200/- for the same. But my installer was really praising Boston S60 compos and quoted Rs. 5850/-. He said there were much better that the JBL. So half heartedly I got the same installed. Now the system sounds BAD. Compared to the old Nippon 5.25" full range speakers mids-highs-lows all seem to have gone.

After I blasted the installer he came up saying that an amp will improve the sound.

I am not sure and also cannot spend much on the same (max. Rs. 6500 for a 4ch Amp). 4ch Amp because I will be adding a woofer in future.

Guide me.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:06   #2
BHPian

It could be a case of bad installation or improper tuning or both.

I have the Boston S60 comps installed in my brothers Getz along with a JBL amplifier and they sound great.

Do you have an Amplifier to drive them? It makes a lot of difference to sound quality.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

if you have installed compos then its better you go in for a amplifier too,and alone compos wont do the justice,you could have kept the rear speakers as they are your stock nippon 5.25" and installed the components on the front door and in future could have got a Subwoofer in the boot would have served you well cheers

Ramie
Old 12th May 2008, 16:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does the factory stereo has per-outs for speakers?

The last I knew it only had sub pre-out & in that case how is he planning to put an amp?
Old 12th May 2008, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

The last I knew it only had sub pre-out & in that case how is he planning to put an amp?
The is a module available in market for Rs.50/- or so which has 4wires coming out Left1/Left2 - Right1/Right2 which you can tape it to the HU speaker wires of Rear/Front and on the other side of the box you have 1pair of RCA-out,it even have a volume kind of knob for Left+Right,I dont remember where exactly i have seen this.I'll try to find it and post pics.

Ramie
Old 12th May 2008, 16:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

I suppose it has 1 Aux pre-out as mentioned in Nippon manual. Plan to use Y-cable and use a 4ch Amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
It could be a case of bad installation or improper tuning or both.

I have the Boston S60 comps installed in my brothers Getz along with a JBL amplifier and they sound great.

Do you have an Amplifier to drive them? It makes a lot of difference to sound quality.
No I do not have a Amp + the wires being are of the stock speakers. (wires will be taken care of when I install the Amp)

Please suggest a decent 4ch Amp below 6.5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
The is a module available in market for Rs.50/- or so which has 4wires coming out Left1/Left2 - Right1/Right2 which you can tape it to the HU speaker wires of Rear/Front and on the other side of the box you have 1pair of RCA-out,it even have a volume kind of knob for Left+Right,I dont remember where exactly i have seen this.I'll try to find it and post pics.

Ramie
I was plannig to use a Y-cable for the same. For Rs. 50 the above piece of equipment sounds very High-Tech.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th May 2008 at 16:54. Reason: Please use edit instead of making back to back posts also use multi quote option
Old 12th May 2008, 18:55   #7
BHPian

slightly OT, but i thought i'll share..

I had installed JBL's GT5 963 and 402 and and driving them directly through my PIO5050. The installer had NOT used the original wires supplied in the box and said they are short in length, he used his own set. Even I was not bothered a lot because I dint had any amp setup.

Is the SQ bound to be affected with this? Considering I'm not having a amp to power the setup?
Old 12th May 2008, 21:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
I asked for JBL 6.5" GTO and was quoted Rs. 6200/- for the same. But my installer was really praising Boston S60 compos and quoted Rs. 5850/-. He said there were much better that the JBL. So half heartedly I got the same installed. Now the system sounds BAD. Compared to the old Nippon 5.25" full range speakers mids-highs-lows all seem to have gone.
I'll tell you this - the boston S60 are pretty respectable components and under all circumstances will sound superior to the Nippon full range which is crap in comparison to the Bostons.

It should a case of poor installation. First get that sorted before you spend even more money.
Old 12th May 2008, 21:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

If the lows have gone it could just be a case of incorrect wiring. If the wire polarity is interchanged the bass will cancel out.
Old 12th May 2008, 21:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Please suggest a decent 4ch Amp below 6.5k.
JBL GT5.602
Blaupunkt GT4 MK2 special
Kenwood 8401

all these amplifier's are good for components and a single subwoofer total VFM price range will be between 5k - 6.7k.. enjoy
Old 12th May 2008, 21:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

My first recommendation to you would be to verbally slap that installer and go to a respectable one that one of our cal BHPians know of.
Old 12th May 2008, 23:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'll tell you this - the boston S60 are pretty respectable components and under all circumstances will sound superior to the Nippon full range which is crap in comparison to the Bostons.

It should a case of poor installation. First get that sorted before you spend even more money.
Hi Sam, Yes I will be getting the installation of the S60 done properly before I buy the amp. I have ordered him to make custom mdf rings (because it seems the speaker is not seated properly) The ones he had were very thick and would not let the stock speaker cover to fit.

But tell me one thing am I wrong to think that JBL 6.5" GTO 607 are superior to Boston S60 with hardly much price diff. BTW MRP printed on the Boston box was Rs. 6161/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If the lows have gone it could just be a case of incorrect wiring. If the wire polarity is interchanged the bass will cancel out.
Yes this was one more confusion. As the original wires coming from the HU were not changed, I could not be 100% sure of the correct polarity

Is there any simple way of detecting which polarity a wire is carrying (without physically inspecting the wires from HU/Amp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
JBL GT5.602
Blaupunkt GT4 MK2 special
Kenwood 8401

all these amplifier's are good for components and a single subwoofer total VFM price range will be between 5k - 6.7k.. enjoy
I suppose you mean the JBL GT5 604

But isn't the mrp of GT5 604 is Rs. 7990. is it available at Rs.6700 (B/W)
Is the Kenwood 8401 only for Rs. 5000?

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th May 2008 at 09:09. Reason: Please use Multi Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 07:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But tell me one thing am I wrong to think that JBL 6.5" GTO 607 are superior to Boston S60 with hardly much price diff. BTW MRP printed on the Boston box was Rs. 6161/-
I think both of them are good speakers. Which one sounds superior depends on your taste of music, and how you like to hear them

Quote:
Is there any simple way of detecting which polarity a wire is carrying (without physically inspecting the wires from HU/Amp)
play a mono track. the sound should sound like it is coming from exactly the center of the two speakers.

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th May 2008 at 07:45.
Old 13th May 2008, 08:30   #14
BHPian

as far as i know i think the front speaker size is the same as the back.
if so(actaully even if they arent) then you can have the stock speakers at the back and components upfront where they should be!.(with spacer rings)- P.S the above advice valid only if you have insatlled components in the rear
do this now, because you might have to do it later nway when you add a sub.
go to another installer and get the wiring redone.
Ask one of your local bhpians about an installer.
Also please tune the system.(add color i.e bass treble settings if need be)

what ramie is talking about is line/speaker level output cables.(i recommmend)
i dunno if the Y cable is the same or how hes getting them so cheap,i found out they are about 200rs

Last edited by Magma : 13th May 2008 at 08:37.
Old 13th May 2008, 09:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
as far as i know i think the front speaker size is the same as the back.
if so(actaully even if they arent) then you can have the stock speakers at the back and components upfront where they should be!.(with spacer rings)- P.S the above advice valid only if you have insatlled components in the rear
do this now, because you might have to do it later nway when you add a sub.
go to another installer and get the wiring redone.
Ask one of your local bhpians about an installer.
Also please tune the system.(add color i.e bass treble settings if need be)

what ramie is talking about is line/speaker level output cables.(i recommmend)
i dunno if the Y cable is the same or how hes getting them so cheap,i found out they are about 200rs
Maruti Nippon have gone to another extent to cut costs. They are now providing four 5.25" full range speakers. Two in the front door (this can take 6.5") on spacers and two at the rear. (in fact at the rear the cut in the metal is of 5.25") To fit 6.5" at the rear metal had to be twisted from few edges so now even stock 5.25" may not fit properly.

I have already played around with the Bass/Treble settings. There are three things I need to do:

1. Add an amp
2. Change the wiring
3. Provide a airtight fit to the speakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks