Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 13:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

How is a ICE 5.1 system different from a HT 5.1

Gurus, Thoda Gyan Baanto please.

A 5.1 HT receiver has connections for 5 speakers ( can i call these separate channels ? ) and a subwoofer, thereby completing a 5.1 setup in a layman speak.

Nowadays, I see a lot of the ICE HUs advertising Dolby Digital 5.1, BBE, DSP capability. However the amp section of the HU mentions 4 channels. So assuming I dont add an external AMP, I get to connect 4 speakers - front LR and Rear LR.

Questions:
- does this mean that the HU only simulates 5.1 and does not give true 5.1 output ?
- Even if I add an amp, I get max 3 preouts from the HU, connect to the amp, and drive 4 speakers. and probably a sub with the HU. so how do i achieve 5.1
- if you need to add a center channel how is this done ? In some mercs I see a triangular 'jaali/mesh' on the dash. Is this meant for a center speaker ?
- what kind of speakers should you select for a car to play a 5.1 movie tracks, assuming multiple head rest mounted screens. i.e. should mids be directed front/back ? How can you get Dialouges to align to the screen etc.,

Enlighten me please.

thanks
Old 13th May 2008, 14:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

you can get a 5.1 in a car just like your HT

you get 5 channel amps and 6 channel amps too.
commonly they use a 5 channel amp for the 5 speakers and one amp for the subwoofer. thereby giving you the complete 5.1 effect

other wise I have seen cars with 3-4 amps and getting 6 channels out of it.
you do get centre speakers for cars too. they are designed to fit in a single din space. below the HU
5.1 sound from HU comes with a dsp which gives the required outputs. the new HU alos come with dts outputs

Last edited by iceman91 : 13th May 2008 at 14:24.
Old 15th May 2008, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Some gyan from googling around:

Surround sound in Cars.

http://www.surroundradio.com/images/...ag_CS_TSXT.pdf

How To Add Surround Sound to Your Car | eHow.com

Last edited by smsrini : 15th May 2008 at 19:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks