Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2008, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
How about Pioneer HU and Sony Speakers ?

Hi,

I would like to get the opinion of ICE gurus on the combination Pioneer head unit and Sony Speackers. Concern is will go well with sony speakers go with Poineer HUs? The details of ICE is

1. HU : Pioneer 5050UB
2. Front Speakers : Sony HT170 NT-component
3. Rear Speakers : Sony xs6948, 4-way, 420W(peak),100W(Max)

Appreciate your advice on the same.

regards,
-manju
Old 16th May 2008, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hu is ok but the speakers you have selected are not so good.

You can try JBL, Alpine, Blaupkunt, Illusion, Hertz for your given budget.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

While there is no doubt about the brand value of Sony, very few people, if any, on TBHP seems to have anything positive to say about Sony, as compared to other brands.

Bear in mind, though, that it is *your* ears (and what is in between) that matter in the decision making, and not opinions of other people.

Comparatively, even Pioneer (IF you can get genuine ones) speakers are likely to be miles ahead. If your selection of Sony is purely based on price or brand, please read through the posts in the ICE section on the positive experiences of others with even the basic models of other brands, such as Blupunkt, JBL, Illusion, Alpine, etc.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
While there is no doubt about the brand value of Sony, very few people, if any, on TBHP seems to have anything positive to say about Sony, as compared to other brands.

Bear in mind, though, that it is *your* ears (and what is in between) that matter in the decision making, and not opinions of other people.
I totally agree with DerAlte Phaji. Listen and then decide. Maybe you would like them
Old 16th May 2008, 13:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey!

How much are you paying for the Speakers Manju?

Like the vets have suggested try and listen to a few setups before you decide on anything. Most Bhpians are willing to oblige an audition for fellow members!

The JBL GT5 series is incredibly priced for the build and quality, try and buy
Old 16th May 2008, 13:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
2. Front Speakers : Sony HT170 NT-component
3. Rear Speakers : Sony xs6948, 4-way, 420W(peak),100W(Max)
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Hu is ok but the speakers you have selected are not so good.
I agree too. Within the same budget (or a little more), you can definitely find better speakers from another brand. The speakers you mention are poor sounding.
Old 16th May 2008, 15:55   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all the reply. Presently I have Pioneer 5050UB already installed with pioneer speaker for both front(Non-comp) and rear(6x9, 3-way, 300W peak). Since one of my friend is selling his sony speaker, just thought of replacing the present one, because it is component and the rear one is 4-way, 420W.

regards,
-manju
Old 16th May 2008, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Presently I have Pioneer 5050UB already installed
How much did you pay for 5050 ?
Old 16th May 2008, 16:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply. Presently I have Pioneer 5050UB already installed with pioneer speaker for both front(Non-comp) and rear(6x9, 3-way, 300W peak). Since one of my friend is selling his sony speaker, just thought of replacing the present one, because it is component and the rear one is 4-way, 420W.

regards,
-manju
Go ahead & pick it up if you have heard it & liked it. Your pleasure is all that matters.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How much did you pay for 5050 ?
I brought it around a month back from Car shringar, JC Road, Bangalore at Rs.6600/- including installation.

regards,
-manju
Old 17th May 2008, 09:26   #11
BHPian

manju,

Whatever you do, just run away from Sony speakers like the plague! When I bought my new car 2 years ago, I too was misled into believing that Sony being the leader in video, their audio products must be good too. So I got a pair of 6x9 Sony Xplod XS-GT6947X with a Sony R3300 HU. Believe me, even though the speakers have dual dome tweeters, the treble response was pathetic. The sound was not at all bright and the speakers could not handle high volumes even though they were rated at 400 Watts.

After adding an amplifier and a subwoofer in hopes of improving the sound, and spending almost Rs. 8000/- extra, I finally changed the rear speakers to JBL GTO 937 last month, and lo, the whole sound experience has improved almost 50% of what the Sony's were delivering.

I would suggest you go with Pioneer for the HU and JBL for the speakers. Also try to audition the speakers before you pay for them.
Old 17th May 2008, 13:30   #12
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to try out JBL for front and back speakers. Any suggestions on which model I should go for? My budget for speakers is around Rs.8K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
manju,

I finally changed the rear speakers to JBL GTO 937 last month, and lo, the whole sound experience has improved almost 50% of what the Sony's were delivering.
Please let me know the price...

regards,
-manju
Old 17th May 2008, 14:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to try out JBL for front and back speakers. Any suggestions on which model I should go for? My budget for speakers is around Rs.8K.

Please let me know the price...

regards,
-manju
Good decision. Try the JBL GTO 937 or the CD series. Sony is infamous for its audio quality. Although there may be some people who would disagree with me.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 17th May 2008, 14:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Good decision. Try the JBL GTO 937 or the CD series.
I think you meant the CS series. IIRC the CS is discontinued and replaced by the GT5 series
Old 17th May 2008, 15:18   #15
BHPian

manju, I paid Rs. 4650/- (with bill and warranty) for the JBL GTO937 in Nagpur. For the front, I suggest you go with JBL GTO427. These should cost about Rs. 2700/- (with bill & warranty). Another big advantage with JBL is that there are no duplicates, as with Sony and Pioneer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks