Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2008, 13:10   #1
BHPian

ALTEC MX 5021 Speakers for my Wagon R

Hello friends.. Need Help.. Am very keen to install the Altec MX 5021 in my Wagon R. I have a Sony 460 Head unit (no amp) with Panasonic speakers.
I have been a gr8 fan of the MX 5021 because of the sound and clarity. I wonder if it will be worth installing them in the car , can some one guide me..? if yes.. how can i install them and where?
If no.. any other good speakers which can give me a similar result. ( am not keen on a sub in the car , MX 5021 can be an exception).. hope to hear some comments
Old 18th May 2008, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is not worth installing this in a car, since it is not designed for that environment. Consider also the additional cost of a converter to generate the 220V 50Hz to power the unit.
Old 18th May 2008, 16:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It is not worth installing this in a car, since it is not designed for that environment. Consider also the additional cost of a converter to generate the 220V 50Hz to power the unit.

whereas you can get away with using the HU amplifier and then would not need a converter. BUT..the impedance from the HU or for that matter from any car stereo is diferent then home systems, this will affect the perormance. Your altecs will not sound the same as at home.
Old 18th May 2008, 19:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

try them in your car with your UPS , and maybe drive around with them to get an idea before you go ahead with it.

Frankly, a good sub, a 4 channel amp and a good pair of components would be ideal ( but cost a lot more though )
Old 18th May 2008, 19:55   #5
BHPian

Altec MX 5021

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
try them in your car with your UPS , and maybe drive around with them to get an idea before you go ahead with it.

Frankly, a good sub, a 4 channel amp and a good pair of components would be ideal ( but cost a lot more though )
I guess friends.. u are right.. too much of efforts into this.. but can you suggest good set of speakers + amp (if req) which can deliver me a good performance.. or do u think a sub can be the best option for me?
Old 18th May 2008, 20:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

First, connect with the Mumbai TBHPians and listen to their installations to get an idea of what is around. Then it will be easy for you to figure out what is it that you are missing, and set a budget for yourself (starting point for the ICE enhancement).
Old 18th May 2008, 22:36   #7
BHPian

If somebody wants to install MX5021 or any other home speaker system in car 220v inverter is not required.They can remove the transformer and use an smps rated exactly to the system's power supply.I had chance to work with Altec (my ex company used to import them and i was supporting karnataka region) can try to get some details if any one wants them.But they don't really sound good in car and they cannot withstand the atmosphere also as speakers are not designed for that.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
BUT..the impedance from the HU or for that matter from any car stereo is diferent then home systems.
I would not advise using the 5021 in a car but I believe that the impedance of the pre-out from a HU is about 10-20Kohms about the same as the output impedance of a home CD player or preamplifier.
Old 19th May 2008, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
If somebody wants to install MX5021 or any other home speaker system in car 220v inverter is not required.They can remove the transformer and use an smps rated exactly to the system's power supply ...
For a common man, wouldn't the inverter be an easier and cheaper implementation than replacing the built-in PSU with an SMPS?
Old 19th May 2008, 21:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
For a common man, wouldn't the inverter be an easier and cheaper implementation than replacing the built-in PSU with an SMPS?
Yes i agree with that, but what about some DIY(i.e. re-inventing wheel)
Old 20th May 2008, 00:15   #11
BHPian

Just buy a pair of Illusion EL 6.1 components. Will cost you about 6.5k and will give you a great sound without all the hassle of the abovementioned DIYing etc.
Old 24th May 2008, 14:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would not advise using the 5021 in a car but I believe that the impedance of the pre-out from a HU is about 10-20Kohms about the same as the output impedance of a home CD player or preamplifier.
well i was not off by a lot just 10-20 thousand

thank you
Old 15th July 2008, 15:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sorry for bumping into such an old thread, but I had a few doubts here, how can the impedance of the pre -out be 10-20K ohms when the speaker's impedance is 6 ohms and the sub's impedance 4 ohms. Shouldn't the impedances be the same ? Also why does the sub have a lower impedance than the speakers ?
Here are the specs of the speakers
Name:  Specs.gif
Views: 1534
Size:  14.5 KB

Moreover throughout this thread there has been a mention of the fact that th performance of the speakers in question would not be upto the mark. However impedances and power remaining the same shouldn't there any problems except slightly more boominess due to the smaller size of the cabin as compared to a room.

Another thing I wanted to know was that why is there -10dB written in front of the frequency response ?

Last edited by revvedup : 15th July 2008 at 15:27.
Old 16th July 2008, 01:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Sorry for bumping into such an old thread, but I had a few doubts here, how can the impedance of the pre -out be 10-20K ohms when the speaker's impedance is 6 ohms and the sub's impedance 4 ohms. Shouldn't the impedances be the same ?
the speaker impedance and pre out impedance are quite unrelated. since the pre out is connected to the high impedance amp input, the pre out is also considered to be high impedance.
similarly, the amp OUTPUT is low impedance since it has to be connected to low impedance speakers.

Quote:
Also why does the sub have a lower impedance than the speakers ?
Here are the specs of the speakers
It really doesnt matter, since impedance matching the internal amp to the speaker is done internally by the manufacturer, and we dont have to bother about it. speaker impedances are a non issue, as long as they are not too low.

Quote:
Moreover throughout this thread there has been a mention of the fact that th performance of the speakers in question would not be upto the mark. However impedances and power remaining the same shouldn't there any problems except slightly more boominess due to the smaller size of the cabin as compared to a room.
yes, you are correct. that would be the only big issue, SQ wise. You might also need to find a way to deliver clean power to them
Quote:
Another thing I wanted to know was that why is there -10dB written in front of the frequency response ?
usually frequency response limits are the points at which the power drops to -3dB. The manufacturer seems to have been a bit generous and chosen -10 dB as the limit , and hence the seemingly wider frequency response

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks