Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:45   #1
BHPian

sub + amp for civic

My cousin wants to install a decent sub+amp combo in his new Civic. He doesnt want to spend more than 40k.

Could he possibly get an Image Dynamics sub? He likes deep bass so perhaps a 12" would be best (or even a 15", but that might go out of budget).

Also, any suggestions for a good (but within budget) monoblock to drive the sub? And a place to obtain both the sub and the amp from? This is in Mumbai.
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:07   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Also, any suggestions for a good (but within budget) monoblock to drive the sub? And a place to obtain both the sub and the amp from? This is in Mumbai.
why don't you check with blueraven, he has 2 mono block for sale.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My cousin wants to install a decent sub+amp combo in his new Civic. He doesnt want to spend more than 40k.

Could he possibly get an Image Dynamics sub? He likes deep bass so perhaps a 12" would be best (or even a 15", but that might go out of budget).
You can get a ID sub and good mono amp for 40K. Gunbir represents ID in India.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
My cousin wants to install a decent sub+amp combo in his new Civic.
Is he planning to keep the rest of the OE system? The sub might end up overpowering the stock speakers
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Is he planning to keep the rest of the OE system? The sub might end up overpowering the stock speakers
we can control that using the amp's gain.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
we can control that using the amp's gain.
Quote:
He likes deep bass

Then what "thump" will he get? The OE speakers have almost none!
Also, won't it be strange if the Sub is the strongest link, if not the ONLY strong link in your system?
I don't remember if the HU has sub-woofer controls. If it doesn't, and like most of us, if he listens to a variety of music, won't some genres sound REALLY strange?

Last edited by vikram18 : 23rd May 2008 at 14:16.
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

If sub is played at the sound level matching the OEM speaker the overall experiance will be twice good than alone OEM one. Because the sub will give very good base (not bass) to the music played.
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
If sub is played at the sound level matching the OEM speaker the overall experiance will be twice good than alone OEM one. Because the sub will give very good base (not bass) to the music played.
Knowing the Civic OE speakers, i think it will be a complete waste unless you change the front comps and amp them. When played at any volume to justify enjoying the "deep bass", the OE fronts will be discordant; only the bass will sound good, so I think it's pretty "base"less to go in for such an upgrade .

From what I can gather about his requirements, he wants a noticeable thump, not just a"mild" addition hence this opinion.

Additionally, anyways the Civic is not the greatest car to ICE. Even with a good subwoofer and a good amp, the bass is slightly delayed. So unless you're prepared to change your parcel tray to MDF and cut a huge hole, or rip out your fabric behind the rear arm rest, or some such, bass anyways isn't that great sounding in the Civic.

If changing the HU is not an option, what I would do first is get a good 4 channel amp and change at least the front components to a brand/make known for good midbass and run a sub off the other 2 channels. rears off the HU, naturally. I'd also spend on damping.

If budget doesn't allow immediately, I'd do it in parts.

My honest opinion is that only adding a mono and a sub to the OE setup in a Civic will be a criminal waste of money. This is what I would do; gurus may differ.
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I agree with LBM,

The current civic system has a max volume of 35,25 is when you start hearing some bass on the level BASS +4,but it starts getting irritated with the sounds produced by the stock speakers.You could only feel little bit good sounds on the front and i think the rear's are just for show purpose
Old 24th May 2008, 00:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I agree with LBM,

The current civic system has a max volume of 35,25 is when you start hearing some bass on the level BASS +4,but it starts getting irritated with the sounds produced by the stock speakers.
What I'm trying to say is that, your OE speakers will reproduce a different range of "bass" frequencies. The Subwoofer is for lower frequencies still. Agreed that the subwoofer will sound good, but when played at any volume to justify the "deep bass" wanted by theEnd's cousin, the OE speakers will still sound "irritated". If you just want what Navin always says, "the presence of a sub shouldn't be felt, but it's absence should be", then yes it will make a difference, but again I doubt if it'll make a world of difference.

What I can comprehend from theEnd's post is that he wants SPL type of bass, and I don't think this is an appropriate solution for the same. I believe the music as a whole will suffer by just strengthening the sub-woofer section
Old 24th May 2008, 11:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

I understand Vikram. But a little tunning can make the sub sing with the OE speakers. The result will be good but not exactly what one expect with the amount of money spend. It will be like "jitna gur untana mitha" Also if one wants full SPL bass I don't think any regular component kit can match it.
Old 24th May 2008, 11:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
What I can comprehend from theEnd's post is that he wants SPL type of bass, and I don't think this is an appropriate solution for the same. I believe the music as a whole will suffer by just strengthening the sub-woofer section
If SPL bass is what is required then any sub-amp combo will drown out the existing speakers given that they are powered by only the HU. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought TheEnd wanted bass that could integrate well with the existing OEM system (HU+speakers).
Old 24th May 2008, 17:04   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback. I think now is a very good time to make some clarifications.

Yes, he does like deep, SPL type bass, and he likes the bass to be "noticable" rather than bass that "completes the sound". At the same time, I'm sure he would like an overall sound that is cohesive.

The problem is that there is a temporary cap on the budget, so I felt that rather than going in for mid-range or budget upgrades it would be best to proceed in parts. STAGE 1: Sub + amp. STAGE 2: Front components + 2-ch amp.

I agree it would sound quite jarring to have just the sub+amp in there alongside the stock speakers, but that should prompt him to move from Stage 1 to Stage 2 as soon as possible

Also, quick question. In the Civic stock HU is it possible to set a filter for the front speakers (i.e. cut out everything below say 120 hz?).
Old 25th May 2008, 18:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, he does like deep, SPL type bass, and he likes the bass to be "noticable" rather than bass that "completes the sound". At the same time, I'm sure he would like an overall sound that is cohesive.

The problem is that there is a temporary cap on the budget, so I felt that rather than going in for mid-range or budget upgrades it would be best to proceed in parts. STAGE 1: Sub + amp. STAGE 2: Front components + 2-ch amp.
What I'd suggest is get the front components and the 4-Channel and damping first. This itself will make a noticeable difference, esp. the midbass and the detail.
This should keep him happy till you put in the sub + mono or use 2 channels of the amp to power the sub. That should complete his requirements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks