Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:41   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
P80RS costs 22,000
Damn - 20K was my budget including speakers / cables. I would have liked to spend more but since this is a weekend car, it is hard to justify spending this much money for 20 minutes of music a week. Looks like the Blaupunkt London at 8K is more reasonable - though it does not look as neat as the P80RS. Folks, any additional suggetions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
vcash
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

why not get an ordinary HU and hide it in the glovebox ?
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I do not think that I am in a position to afford an after market lamborghini HU!
No Sir. Not aftermarket. Stock. When you buy the Murcielago, it is free, lol.

Quote:
BTW, do I detect a trace of Ze Zerman accent in the clip?
You can detect a large german influence in my life, lol.

It's a weird thing, being empathetic speakers. I'm sounding more and more German and Jenny is sing-songing like an Indian.
When we reach a mid stable point, we shall have founded a new Indo-German accent.
Quote:
I could totally see you messing with pretty Ms. Saraf.
No sir, you could not.
Refer to first line in second paragraph.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd June 2008 at 14:50.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You can detect a large german influence in my life, lol.

It's a weird thing, being empathetic speakers. I'm sounding more and more German and Jenny is sing-songing like an Indian.
When we reach a mid stable point, we shall have founded a new Indo-German accent.
I totally agree with you. It's interesting how we adapt and emulate speech patterns that are influenced by the environments we interact in. I was in Central America a few years ago for only about a fortnight and I started picking up traces of the accent. So much so that at US immigration, the officer checking my passport had to grill me for a bit to make sure I was not Pablo trying to sneak in on an Indian Passport into Florida. It didn't help that I kept yelling Por qué! Por qué! after he said the needs to take me into a 'special room' for some 'special questions'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No sir, you could not.
Refer to first line in second paragraph.
Hehe... it seems 'messing with' was misconstrued. What I meant was 'taking her case'... "I am Zamir Kapazzia and I hail from Bavaria. Where is zis country India that you zpeak ovvv?"

And now back to retro head units........
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:31   #20
BHPian

Modern Stereos in Classic Cars an Eye Sore - A Solution

It is something that has always jumped at my eyes like an Eye Sore when I see a modern flashy car radio installed in a Vintage or Classic Car. These no doubt perform much better than the OEM units which may have once graced these older beauties but those flashy LEDs and LCD screens are a definite no no for me.

During my ongoing quest for a Mercedes Benz W123 I have seen this on almost all the cars I checked (except one) and sadly none of the owners seem to have preserved the original Becker Units - what a pity.

However there seems to be a solution offered by a Nevada based company known as Retro Manufacturing, LLC. Their products have be viewed on their website http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

The idea is to have a functionally modern car stereo unit but manufactured to the dimensions and outer design of stereos made back in the day. So you get all access to all modern features like CD/Aux In/USB Port/Bluetooth etc. etc...But the unit mounts straight into the two screw mounting system of days gone by and the unit looks completely at home in those older cars with its two knobs and everything...

Retro / Classic looking Car Stereos with modern functionality-capture32434sdfsdf.jpg
Prices seen to me in the range of 200-250 USD for a Becker Mercedes compatible unit. This one is sure on my shopping list (after I can find the car that is)

Looks so correct in this guys W123. The panel colour and texture seem to be perfectly matched. (pics taken from a forum)

Retro / Classic looking Car Stereos with modern functionality-capture1234.jpg

Retro / Classic looking Car Stereos with modern functionality-capture123456.jpg

Would love to try one for myself and post a review. Or any of the gents better disposed than me could grab the opportunity.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd January 2014 at 16:03. Reason: Post edited. Please see post #2 for how to correctly insert images to posts : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announcements/45722-uploading-photographs-directly-team-bhp.html
BowMan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks