Team-BHP - Retro / Classic looking Car Stereos with modern functionality
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Retro / Classic looking Car Stereos with modern functionality (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/40203-retro-classic-looking-car-stereos-modern-functionality.html)

Hello Hello Audiophiles,
First off - this is my second visit here in the past 2 months so clearly judgement day is soon to be upon us :D.

Anyhooo, I am restoring my Mercedes 1963 190C and as the bodywork is slated for completion in the next 10 days, I thought I would turn my attention to the interiors. Currently, the car has an old Pioneer cassete player coupled with 4 Pioneer speakers (Funny Raised Square Ones) from the late 80's / early 90's.

Originally I was thinking of getting the original radio that came installed in MB's of that era along with mono speakers but this is turning out to be more herculean than getting a date with Aishwariya Rai in all her married glory.

So, I am thinking 'Thoda Hut Ke'. I am looking to install a nice retro looking indash CD payer (MP3 / Aux Ipod Input would be an added bonus) would be an added bonus with 4 hidden unobtrusive speakers. This would acheive that vintage interor look and at the same time give me some modern functionality.

After some googling, I have found that Becker makes one such radio (pictured below) - Mexico 7903. However this is overkill at 1500 Euros and Nav / BT features.

Can you recommend any alternative HU Brands / Models that would acheive what I am looking to do? Would these be available in Delhi on special order. I don't mind ordering them online as well and getting them shipped.

I have not thought about the speakers yet, but they will probably be JBL which will be hidden under the parcel tray and door pads.

Thanks,
vcash

I also remembered that OHC's used to come with very Plain Jane Clarion HU's. So I checked out Clarions current portfolio and they have 2 models that are not jhintak and have a hint of retro-ness. The models are HX-D2 and FB286BTB. What do you think of these models and any idea on pricing? Any other alternatives to Becker and Clarion - I am all out.

The HX-D2 is a very reputed HU & its MRP is 60k plus & it doesnt play Mp3

@vcash : Panasonic manufactures a cool Vacuum Tube HU the details and specs are in the link given below. Do check it out. IIRC it costs well within 1000 US$

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ish-i-had.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 844589)
The HX-D2 is a very reputed HU & its MRP is 60k plus & it doesnt play Mp3

Quote:

Originally Posted by suren181 (Post 844604)
@vcash : Panasonic manufactures a cool Vacuum Tube HU the details and specs are in the link given below. Do check it out. IIRC it costs well within 1000 US$

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ish-i-had.html

Holy Moly! These prices are out of my budget and league! Anything in the 10 to 15K range - simple looking HU. (I love how I went from retro looking to basic units - how money dictates our lives!)

I found one more simple Clarion - It comes stock in Subaru vehicle's - PF-2597A-B. Maybe I can ask a Clarion dealer for this. The other option is get a used modern stock mercedes Blaupunkt (I see one from a C320 going for $50 on ebay - but I wonder if this will fit?). At this point since my options are limited, I will forgo the Mp3 / Aux capabilities - I just want a simple / clean as retro looking possible HU that is available - Basically Zero Jhintak.

The last silver stereo looks like the one which came as OE in the last Ikons!

btw, if cassette is fine with u, then take a look at the clarion stereos/radio that came as OE in the first batch of Maruti 800's. They look waay retro with push button band presets et all!!

Vikash I think the Merc unit would be a good fit, provided you can accomodate it in the dash.

the blau london looks kinda nice :)
Blaupunkt - London MP48 - Zoom

RetroSoundUSA.com - Classic Radio Systems, Speakers, and Accessories :)

You can look at the Kenwood KCD 01 ..very retro looking although does no mp3

Hello vcash!!

Quote:

After some googling, I have found that Becker makes one such radio (pictured below) - Mexico 7903. However this is overkill at 1500 Euros and Nav / BT features.
Yeah nice HU. Shame though, this product is not sold anywhere in India.

You can hear me talk about it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 844716)
the blau london looks kinda nice :)
Blaupunkt - London MP48 - Zoom

Yes it does! If it was a bit more toned down, it would be perfect! I like the orange backlight as well as it would match the instrument consolle lighting at night. I am also thinking about the Mumbai - it looks quite vanilla.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk456 (Post 844739)
You can look at the Kenwood KCD 01 ..very retro looking although does no mp3

Smart looker but super expensive. This seems to be in the thoudand dollar range as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 844838)
Hello vcash!!

Yeah nice HU. Shame though, this product is not sold anywhere in India.

You can hear me talk about it here.

Hey Mr. Kapasi - Very nice interview - I was a wee bit distracted from the system / car and even your lustrous locks. Even if I could import this, I do not think that I am in a position to afford an after market lamborghini HU!

BTW, do I detect a trace of Ze Zerman accent in the clip? :D I could totally see you messing with pretty Ms. Saraf.

Hey Vcash, have you checked out the Pioneer P80RS, retro looking and a damn good HU too, it also has an option to turn off the display if need be

This head unit should be available around Delhi with probably a day or twos wait and is moderatly priced in comparison with the Becker:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. boombastic (Post 848007)
Hey Vcash, have you checked out the Pioneer P80RS, retro looking and a damn good HU too, it also has an option to turn off the display if need be

This head unit should be available around Delhi with probably a day or twos wait and is moderatly priced in comparison with the Becker:eek:

Thank You Mr. Lova Lova.... This looks quite simple and neat with a retro tinge. I wonder if it is avaialable in Matt Black finish? Any word on the the pricing for P80RS?

P80RS costs 22,000 :D