Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 17:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navin Ji for the same. Deralte Ji like Navin Ji has written there are lots of other data than what can be written on paper. In layman language I found the DLS to be a bit sharper with a more emphasis to a female vocal. But in the Illusion the male vocal is much more pronounced. Also the integration of the sub and the midbass is better of the Illusion when compared to the DLS as it used to go a bit low. There are lots of differences but one must not say that they are like day or night.

With little effort one can tune both the kits to sound quite similar. So in the end listen to the stuff one has to buy and the judge that is it worth it.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I beleive that given the present state of the art we still are not fully able to quantify or qualify how the humar ear-brain functions.

Why the 18W8545 and 8546 sound different enough for designers to prefer one over the other and these 2 drivers share the same magnet, coil, basket, spider, suspension, everything but the material their cones are made from.
Well put. And thats whats so amazing about this hobby. I mean, if it was easy to find the perfect sound, would this hobby be as interesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sure, Navin, but the objective here is different. We need to demystify the concepts, so that common people can understand. Otherwise, one cannot differentiate between dealer-talk and user-community-talk.
Here's a link to a page that could help:
Stereophile: Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary
Old 24th June 2008, 18:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

well friends, its great to read all the tech talk and am trying to figure out what i can understand from it. And all i can say still not able to figure out would it begood idea to invest in morel. I supose their home audio is good would it be good in car audio as well? Did a lot of search here for morel dont think anyone have them. So my question stil stands unanswered will the morel be good. I read some review on net somewhere dont know where it said they are bit laidback speakers. Wana know what exactly laidback speakers al about.
Thanks.
Old 24th June 2008, 19:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
So my question stil stands unanswered will the morel be good. I read some review on net somewhere dont know where it said they are bit laidback speakers. Wana know what exactly laidback speakers al about.
Thanks.
Morel Speakers are good. But dont just take someone's description of ANY speaker's sound as a basis to buy it. The foolproof way would be to hear it. There are a few Morel dealers in Mumbai who could perhaps help out.
Old 24th June 2008, 19:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Here's a link to a page that could help:
Stereophile: Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary
Thanks, Gunbir, but it IMHO doesn't really solve the problem, it aggravates it. And that is not in our interest.

Consider the following:
"forward, forwardness A quality of reproduction which seems to place sound sources closer than they were recorded. Usually the result of a humped midrange, plus a narrow horizontal dispersion pattern from the loudspeaker. See "Row-A sound." Compare "laid-back.""
"laid-back Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. See "Row-M sound." Compare "forward.""

Both of the above require the reader to be either an audio / recording engineer with experience of live music, or a hobbyist who does nothing else perhaps, or both. AND access to a glossary like this one to be able to "speak the language".

So the newcomers to the forum should be the above, to be able to learn and participate? Wouldn't this be a logic to exclude participants, not include them, by projecting "you know nothing, you can know nothing"?

Wouldn't the gurus here (not me, I am too much of a hathoda-chhaap to be one) want to come out as gurus who have brought up the practical and usable knowledge level of the community, instead of indulging in exotica? Navin, Ajay, you and a few others have been trying, but unless we make basic adjustments, we will not be able to achieve that.

PS: Q.v. Invinsible's post above as an example

Last edited by DerAlte : 24th June 2008 at 19:46.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Gunbir, but it IMHO doesn't really solve the problem, it aggravates it. And that is not in our interest.

PS: Q.v. Invinsible's post above as an example
I see your point sir, how do you suggest we go about correcting this... As far as I'm concerned, I believe the only real solution is for people to "hear more".

People have to get out more and listen to stuff, but they would prefer to read reviews on the internet. I don't blame them really, given the lack of demo cars and market awareness. But if they try hard, there is plenty of stuff to be heard out there.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

So B&T can you tell me whos dealing with morel here in bombay and where can I get to audition them?

You guys right best way to select is to listen to it but as gunbir said there is lack of demo vehicles available here. Plus, hearing them in car or hearing them in the shop on their demo panel is completely misleading. So, the best way to zero down is to read the reviews on net, helps quite a lot.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:50   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sure, Navin, but the objective here is different. We need to demystify the concepts..the void between congoscenti and incognoscenti (those who know and those who don't) is perpetually increasing.
Actually the person who is best at this would be Sam. Check out his older posts and the origin of the longest thread on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I believe the only real solution is for people to "hear more".
1. listen to more live music from the "dhol" of the monkey man to orchestra to rock. anything live. acosutic music is even better.

2. Listen to any audio component you can get your ears to. Read the reviews of these components - it will help in understanding what the reviewers mean. But listen first, read the reviews only after you have heard the component.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So B&T can you tell me whos dealing with morel here in bombay and where can I get to audition them?
"Preeti Trading Corp" claim to be the Morel Distributor. They are based in Mumbai.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

But do check the international prices before buy. I end up buying my DLS from Singapore.
Old 30th June 2008, 12:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the ICE done

Hey, Got my fabia new morel Speakers and alpine amplifiers with Image dynamics subwoofer. This has really transformed the car and added a reason for me to find a long way home. The sound is awesome, crystal clear and listen to def lepard is really deafening It feels you sitting in a live concert with soft bass flowing through your ears. Truly worth it. I think this car is one of the best in car acoustics and sound really beautiful.

Here's the setup:

Front : Morel Dotech ovation 6
Rear : Morel Pulse 5 1/4 Coax.
Sub: Image Dynamics 10" V2 IDQ 2 ohm ( connecting in series for 4 ohm)
Amplifier : Alpine V POWER MRP550 ( 90x4 / 250x2)
Kenwood 2 channel.
Equalizer : Kicker
Power cables : ground zero

Front speakers are added in stock location, had to add a spacer to the front and rear doors and is being powered by Alpine front 2 channel amplifiers.
Rear speakers are 2 way Pulse series coax 5'1/4 powered by 2 channel kenwood amplifier.
Sub is wired in series for 4 ohm and is being powered Alpine rear 2 channel under bridge mode.
Whats the kicker eq doing ? Well since the stock head unit doesn't have the line output so got 1 line output convertor connected to Kicker eq which has 3 line output. So, now I can control my fader through it and also have sub level controller. Though is leave the equalisation off, can put on to add some depth to the sound.

TUNING:
Well am driving the front speakers under flat setting. I was told to keep the setting on the highpass filter on the amp but prefer flat as getting better midbass from speakers. Wanted to check the amp has frequency setting, does that really work only for high pass and low pass filter or can it work for flat setting as well? ALso, with the help of the eq which has some Xover on/off I can get to cut off the bass incase I put the sub on.
Have kept the tweeter level to -3db on xover on component. It has a setting of -3,0,3db. Wanna know whats the difference in these ? How do they help? Is it advisable to keep the setting to highpass then flat?

Rear coax speakers, well the kenwood amplifier has only the gain setting and no other setting so in any case am using the rear speakers as fillers with the front for better imaging and soundstage. Also, the tweeters can be adjusted by rotating it to get better off axis response.

Sub have kept it on LP with 75hz frq. As of now have the sub in a temprorary box which is a sealed box at .80 cu.ft so making a new box myself with .45 cu.ft as the bass sounds little loose right now.

Have used scouche sound deading for front and rear doors. But, could manage to put it just behind and around the midbass area. as it doesn't have much of opening. For the sub area in boot have used armacell deadening in the tyre well and on the trunk wall.

SOUND:
In the end the sound is nice, clean, with good mids and vocals coming. Found the speakers having bit more of mids as such but sounds good. The bass out of the comps and coax is also really good. Don't feel the need of having the sub. Tweeter on the front mounted on the A piller gives crystal clear highs with no distortion or harsh, nice. Overall feels like the sound coming from the centre of the dash board and the rear speakers gives that effect of listening to a live music all around. The subs well sounds good and fast but have to wait until the new enclosure gets ready.
The Sound from the speakers when I played the song from POISEN called "EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN", is awesome. Got to hear beats I missed on listening to it on other speakers at home or in any other car. Every little thing could be heard from it. The bass was nice from them and the highs coming out was like adding richness to the sound. Really liked it so much that played the song quite a few times.

I wanted to check I am getting the accelator noise as an when I raise. Could this be a issue with the earthing? have checked the RCs, don't seems they have problem. What are the reasons for getting this sound? How can it be rectified?
Also, had to add a switch to put the amp on/off as it doesnt happen along with the headunit on and off. I really don't like this idea of having on/off switch for the amp. Is there no way i can get the amp on/off along with the headunit itself?

Have also called for the JL audio CL441 dsp, should be getting it in a month after which will remove the KICKER EQdsp.

I am really pleased with the sound which is loud enough to be heard in the car. Accept that pedal noise. Otherwise its just great.

Cheers!

Last edited by Invinsible : 30th June 2008 at 13:07. Reason: Corrections
Old 30th June 2008, 14:07   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Equalizer : Kicker

I was told to keep the setting on the highpass filter on the amp but prefer flat as getting better midbass from speakers. Wanted to check the amp has frequency setting, does that really work only for high pass and low pass filter or can it work for flat setting as well? ALso, with the help of the eq which has some Xover on/off I can get to cut off the bass incase I put the sub on.
Have kept the tweeter level to -3db on xover on component. It has a setting of -3,0,3db. Wanna know whats the difference in these ? How do they help? Is it advisable to keep the setting to highpass then flat?

Sub have kept it on LP with 75hz frq. As of now have the sub in a temprorary box which is a sealed box at .80 cu.ft so making a new box myself with .45 cu.ft as the bass sounds little loose right now.

I wanted to check I am getting the accelator noise as an when I raise. Could this be a issue with the earthing? have checked the RCs, don't seems they have problem. What are the reasons for getting this sound? How can it be rectified?
Also, had to add a switch to put the amp on/off as it doesnt happen along with the headunit on and off. way i can get the amp on/off along with the headunit itself?I
The High Pass on the front components seems to be set to high. Lower that to about 60Hz.

Which RCA cables are you using?

Check with Gunbir about right the box volume for the sub.
Old 30th June 2008, 14:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Check with Gunbir about right the box volume for the sub.
You're right. your current box is too big for your sub. Please use that sub in a sealed box no more than .50cuft and it will give you the right amount of "kick"

Edit: Pics please...

Cheers!

Last edited by gunbir : 30th June 2008 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks