Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 20:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

HELP: What ICE setup for fabia elegance for Rs.50k

I am having looking for setting up new ICE for my skoda fabia elegance.
Looking for good SQ setup for around 50k. Not sure whether I would wanna go for new head unit but if the existing one is good in terms of SQ then may be will retain it as of now and may be upgrade latter in the future.
What am I looking for is mainly front and rear speaker setup along with sub and amplifier. Will I require sound deadening? I listen to all kinda music mainly rock, pop, soft rock with lots of 80's. Looking for speaker which would give me good midbass and don't wanna speakers which are too bright in sound.
Would appreciate if the experts here could take some time out and help me out.

Thanks.
Old 27th May 2008, 21:32   #2
BHPian

@invisible,

what make is the stock HU and speaker setup in the Fabia?
Old 27th May 2008, 21:50   #3
BHPian

Doesn't the Fabia (Elegence) have reverse parking sensors displayed on the audio system?

IF so, you'd be losing one of the key features you paid so much $ for, making the car even less of a vfm proposition, something very hard to do!
Old 27th May 2008, 22:20   #4
BHPian

Hi Invinsible

Please go through the forum guidelines and you can find a questionaire kind of thing, copying here. By this you can avoid queries like what is your current setp, what type and size of speakers, where (door, dash, parcel tray ) etc and this will help gurus to get a clear idea of your setup/need and propose a good setup. Although you have specified some of the details, the following will help more.

1. Your Car:
2. Your current setup (If any, HU model, speakers type - component or co-axs-, speaker size and make. where are they installed - door/dash/parcel tray):
3. Your Budget:
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven?
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.):
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :
7. Where are you planning to install speakers or what options are there in your car. (front - doors / dash. Rear - door / parcel tray)
8. What is the size of speakers supported on doors (if you know).
Old 29th May 2008, 23:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys its been over 2 days and getting no help..
I was looking around and wanted to know what you guys think of ALPINE amplifiers. What speakers would be suited to go with it ? Are there any other more options for around Rs.50,000/-.

Your response will be really helpful.

Thanks.
Old 30th May 2008, 07:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Invinsible, a 50k budget needs some serious info about your tastes and customization before we can say something. Please go through redfire's post, and post the details
Old 30th May 2008, 11:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

[quote=redfire;844865]Hi Invinsible

Please go through the forum guidelines and you can find a questionaire kind of thing, copying here. By this you can avoid queries like what is your current setp, what type and size of speakers, where (door, dash, parcel tray ) etc and this will help gurus to get a clear idea of your setup/need and propose a good setup. Although you have specified some of the details, the following will help more.

1. Your Car:
It's skoda diesel elegance

2. Your current setup (If any, HU model, speakers type - component or co-axs-, speaker size and make. where are they installed -
door/dash/parcel tray):
As of now have the OE headunit with 6.5" speakers only in front doors. No rear speakers given. Provision given on rear doors but not sure what size would fit in there.

3. Your Budget:
Not sure if I would wanna change my OE headunit as of now may be in the near future.. not sure how good the head unit is for putting in quality speakers.. sticking to a budget of around 50k +/- for speakers, sub and a amp and may be some sound deadening incase required.

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven?
Self Driven most of the time sometimes chauffer driven..

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.):
Listen most of 80's and 90's music, like U2, sting, Pink floyd, Direstraights,
some alternative rock, at times some club music, or house.. and very occasionally mix of bollywood..

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :
Well may be if fiiting speakers on to doors require modification of panels dont mind as long as it stays around my budget. Would need the boot space. So thought of stealth fitting 2 8inch subs. OR may be just a small enclosure which can be removed as an when required.

7. Where are you planning to install speakers or what options are there in your car. (front - doors / dash. Rear - door / parcel tray)
It just comes with front door speakers which i feel sounds ok.. rear door provision for speakers given not sure what size would go in there..

8. What is the size of speakers supported on doors (if you know).
Not too sure about the size whether its 5'1/2 or 6'1/2.

I was thinking of going for a 4 channel amp Alpine PDX but not sure how good the amp is.. Any idea about the quality on the amp.. Also I read that the signal to noise ratio plays an important role where clarity or distortion is concerned. How true is it? Alpine has a very low signal to noise ratio..

Regarding the speakers thought of Alpine SPX pro series or may be Image dynamics speakers, basically looking out for speakers which would give good clear vocals and high frequencies.. dont want something that would be warm or bright in sound.
For subs was thinking of fitting two 8"ID subs in stealth fitting in boot on to each side of booth wall.

If experts here can suggest and help would be really great

Thx.
Old 30th May 2008, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I was thinking of going for a 4 channel amp Alpine PDX but not sure how good the amp is.. Any idea about the quality on the amp.. Also I read that the signal to noise ratio plays an important role where clarity or distortion is concerned. How true is it? Alpine has a very low signal to noise ratio..

Regarding the speakers thought of Alpine SPX pro series or may be Image dynamics speakers, basically looking out for speakers which would give good clear vocals and high frequencies.. dont want something that would be warm or bright in sound.
For subs was thinking of fitting two 8"ID subs in stealth fitting in boot on to each side of booth wall.

If experts here can suggest and help would be really great

Thx.
1. First you need to find out - maybe from the manual, and preferably from the actual unit - what interface capabilities does the OE HU have: AUX-IN, Pre-amp Out, how many etc. Don't immediately think of replacing the HU

2. Your idea of stealth mounting is good, but you need to look at the trade-off of depth v/s sub mounting depth. Even 1x12" or 2x10" would be better than 2x8" in this situation - not that 2x8" is impractical or bad. If ID subs are too deep, think of Illusion low-mounting-depth subs

3. Alpine amps are not bad at all, but don't lock yourself in this early. First, figure out whether you can do with a 4 channel amp (driving front components and sub) or you want a 4 channel + mono (front AND rear on 4ch since you said "sometimes driver drives it", sub on mono). JBL and Blaupunkt are 2 'with A.S.S.' alternatives. then there are others many others 'without A.S.S.' alternatives like Alpine, GZ, Pio etc.

4. Put 6.5" components in the front door - with the tweeters in the mirror pod inside (is there a stock tweeter location in your car?) or A-pillar base or even on the door (need to make a hole)
Wide choice here (don't economize on the components - they are more important than replacing the HU) - from JBL GTO, Infinity Reference, Illusion Electra, Blaupunkt THc, to Infinity Kappa, ID components, Blaupunkt Velocity, Illusion Luccent / Carbon etc. But, first try to get a feel of the brands / models by actually auditioning them (and then doing a cost-performance comparison yourself of the ones that you like). You should be the best judge of what you need

5. If the driver seldom drives, then put good coaxials in the rear doors (check the size, likely to be 6.5" IF it is there). Otherwise, if you will be spending a substantial amount of time being driven around, think of components. Oval coaxes are also an option, but a. you will need a parcel shelf, and b. they don't rival components

6. Damping is very important. Set aside 8K at least for that

7. Set aside another 3K for good cables. And good installation doesn't come free

Since you are in Mumbai, PM @bass&trouble and get help in auditioning different installations so that you get a good idea. He will also be able to guide you to a good installer.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[i][b]As of now have the OE headunit with 6.5" speakers only in front doors. sticking to a budget of around 50k +/- for speakers, sub and a amp
Listen most of 80's and 90's music, like U2, sting, Pink floyd, Direstraights,
some alternative rock, at times some club music, or house.. and very occasionally mix of bollywood..

So thought of stealth fitting 2 8inch subs. OR may be just a small enclosure which can be removed as an when required
I was thinking of going for a 4 channel amp Alpine PDX but not sure how good the amp is.. Regarding the speakers thought of Alpine SPX pro series or may be Image dynamics speakers
Budget 5K to damp the front doors well. This is where you sit afterall.

Budget 8K for 6" components for the front: Infinty Reference, Blaupunkt Thx/ODx, etc...

Budget 15K for 2 4 ch. amps from Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer, or Blaupunkt. One amp will feed the front and rear speakers, the other will feed the 2 subs (bridged).

Budget 12K for 2 x 10" (8" are too small)subs from JBL etc.. and a 2 cu. ft. box. One option for this box is to make a trapezoid about 36-39" wide so it streches across the width of the car behind the rear seat but is only about 6" deep (deeper at the base, but less deep at the top). There are many such install pics on the internet using 10, 12 and 15" woofers.

Budget 5K for 5-6" rear coax speakers this can be saved if the OEM front speakers can be used for rear fill.

Budget 6K for wires and install.

Last edited by navin : 30th May 2008 at 13:11.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Budget 8K for 6" components for the front: Infinty Reference, Blaupunkt Thx/ODx, etc...
navinji the THx/ODx are coaxes. The THc/ODc are the components
Old 30th May 2008, 14:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well I was just browsing and came across with Alpine PDX 5 channel amp with 75 x 4 + 300 x 1 ..seems interesting. Can run 4 comp set with singel or dual sub. Any idea how good the amp is?
Also, anyone has a clue what would be the cost of Alpine SPX PRO SERIES OR ID'S CXseries?

Any idea where I can audition them here in bombay?

In what range can I get hertz components?
Old 30th May 2008, 15:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I was just browsing and came across with Alpine PDX 5 channel amp with 75 x 4 + 300 x 1 ..seems interesting. Can run 4 comp set with singel or dual sub. Any idea how good the amp is?
I've heard this amplifier and it is a pretty good one, I thought.
Old 30th May 2008, 15:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

hertz components start from 5.7k MRP for the dieci's . but sourcing them will be an issue
Old 30th May 2008, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Fabia has 2 speakers in Front doors and 2 speakers/tweeters in the A pillars (very neatly covered).
Old 30th May 2008, 19:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Where can I get to audition hertz comp.. aren't there any dealer in bombay. Any idea what would be the cost of hi-energy HSK 165? How good are they compared to ID CX comp and Alpine SPX pro?
Can anyone give a short review on these.

Most Viewed