Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 19:39   #1
BHPian

Reliable Headunit !!!

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just bought an NHC gxi. He needs an upgrade to the stock alpine cassette player. The initial decision was to only change the headunit, but then the thought of changing speakers did come. He has a very tight buget since his folks think changing speakers are a waste of money. The headunit change too is only so that a cd can be played.

Budget around 5k

Would a reliable headunit be available in that price range. By how much would he have to raise his budget in order to get decent speakers??

About installers, iv heard bass.com in 7 bunglows is good in installing but dosnt tune the ICE well. Pls help
Old 12th June 2008, 20:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

for your budget i guess JVC with b&w or pioneer in grey
Old 12th June 2008, 20:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Err the stock head unit is better than anything you'll get in 5k .

Edit: Just read cassette player. So I guess all you can get is an entry lvl pio 5050 or the equivalent from jvc or kenwood.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 12th June 2008 at 20:40.
Old 12th June 2008, 20:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Install a entry level JVC for about 3600/- and 1600 for 6 x 9" Rioneer speakers,they are good to use for a year atleast all stuff available at milan subway
Old 12th June 2008, 21:59   #5
BANNED

funny bit now is that alfa has been selling HU for a while as well. not promoting them or something but i went to milan and found a sony HU with bluetooth for 6k. i was like *** thats cheap enough. then went to alfa as i do regularly and that same HU he was selling for 5k. so i know jvc is cheaper but people could do with the new show off of bluetooth in their cars at a reasonable 5k. good buy for entry level. as for me i am eyeing the jvc avx44 nothing less will do
Old 12th June 2008, 22:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

get an HU which reads USB drives. at least there will be no mechanism to wear out ..
Old 12th June 2008, 22:14   #7
BHPian

is this a use car or a new one?

The NHC Gxi at present comes with an alpine single cd player not a tape.
Old 12th June 2008, 22:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishg View Post
is this a use car or a new one?

The NHC Gxi at present comes with an alpine single cd player not a tape.
before the zx came the nhc had a alpine tape in it and not a cd player
Old 12th June 2008, 22:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
get an HU which reads USB drives. at least there will be no mechanism to wear out ..
Well what is the cheapest HU which can read from USB?
I believe it would be something from JVC, but anything still cheaper ...i'm looking for one too..
Old 13th June 2008, 00:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey guys,

He has a very tight buget since his folks think changing speakers are a waste of money. The headunit change too is only so that a cd can be played.

Budget around 5k
Hey funkydevil, most of us here are not very rich to spend 10's of thousands on accessories. But here's what you can do to get a decent system. Upgrade one thing at a time. Save up and upgrade to a set of good speakers, i am sure you should be able to do some research and get nice set of components for the front and 6x9's for the rear. Save up a li'l more and then move onto getting a HU and then an AMP. I like the NHC, my bro had it about 2yrs back very comfy and with a good ICE it will be a pleasurable drive. One step at a time, thats what i did and its working good for me. But one things for sure, you need to have patience, wait and save up.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:36   #11
BHPian

If you more into vocals,clarity go for kenwood 5039
Kenwood Corporation | Car Electroics | 1DIN Receivers | KDC-MP5039U

it has everything,one draw back its got a sub/rear common pre-out

its a deal for rs 5500
Old 13th June 2008, 09:22   #12
BHPian

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your reply's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
Hey funkydevil, most of us here are not very rich to spend 10's of thousands on accessories. But here's what you can do to get a decent system. Upgrade one thing at a time. Save up and upgrade to a set of good speakers, i am sure you should be able to do some research and get nice set of components for the front and 6x9's for the rear. Save up a li'l more and then move onto getting a HU and then an AMP. I like the NHC, my bro had it about 2yrs back very comfy and with a good ICE it will be a pleasurable drive. One step at a time, thats what i did and its working good for me. But one things for sure, you need to have patience, wait and save up.
Yeh, i no how hard patience can be for us guys . But yeh will tell him that.

Well, ok for now here's the things i've decided to finalise on, Hopefully if i can convince them to either up the budget by a few 1000 more here and there.

HU - Pio 5050
Speakers - TS-A6992R

What do you think guys?? Will front speakers come in too?? or is this itself going way out of line here.
Old 13th June 2008, 23:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
HU - Pio 5050
Speakers - TS-A6992R

What do you think guys?? Will front speakers come in too?? or is this itself going way out of line here.
The Pio 5050 has been listed as a favorite with a lot of people. I am not sure of its performance though since i havent seen it personally, i am sure the others might be able to help you with that.

As with the speakers, i see this is a 5 way speaker. I read somewhere in this forum that they work very similar to a 2 Way or 3 Way, so i would suggest you to go in for a 3 Way 6x9's in the rear for the moment. Preferably get a good pair and then you can buy a pair of components for the front. As i emphasized earlier, save up and get each component at a time. Thay way you will end up with a nice setup soon. Let us know what you get and put up some pictures.
Old 14th June 2008, 10:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

A more prudent way is to let the NHC HU be, and change the speakers in front first. 5K will get him a decent pair of components in front, albeit in grey. This alone will give better music than the new HU in comparison with the old one.

If he can think of a couple of K more, he can put in 6x9s on the parcel shelf, which will boost the bass perception on a budget. IF he hunts around, may be he can get both the components and the ovals at a bargain price.

With b&w, JBL GT5 and Blaupunkt ODc/ODx are the likely ones that he can get together in a reasonable price range. Maybe Polk or Alpine. One wouldn't wish Sony on him, even if he can get these definitely in his budget. Avoid Pio, not because they are bad, but it would be really difficult to tell the fakes from the real ones.

Avoid anything above 3-way in ovals, as even a 2-way is sufficient if the speaker is good. Anything above 3-way is a gimmick that plays on consumers' perceptions.

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th June 2008 at 10:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks