Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2008, 12:10   #1
BHPian

DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)

Hi friends,

I was using this pioneer DVD player in ma car from the time i bought it a couple of months ago. I travel 55 kms everyday in the car.I have this friend who also car pools with me to office.

We were getting bored of listening to the same songs over and over. I got an idea after the friday's drink to fit an LCD and play some movies. I wanted to fit this old 6" screen that was brought from singapore.

Here's the story..........

I first figured out a way to fix this without making any mods to the dash. I had the pio fitted on the top din. the plan was to shift it to the lower din. I wanted the LCD to be above the pio. This actually restrict the controlling the AC. The Air circulation switch and temperature switch cant be accessed. Thats fine for me 'cause i always run ac at full cool and circulation on.

When i moved the pio to the lower din, i had the provision of using the mounting screw holes from the empty top din. Now, i took some measurements and started drawing a mounting bracket for housing the screen. I thought the design was perfect and went out searching a fabricator. It was the lunch time and the 3 shops that i found were closed.
I gave up and was returning home for having lunch and found this shop that was open. I went to this guy and showed him the drawing and made him understand. He also showed his happiness making this for me as this was the first time he was making a component from a drawing. He asked me to wait for 15 min to make it and it was ready in 10 min. I went in search for bolt and nut for fixing the bracket in the din. Found that easily in a local hardware store.

Now i started to continue the work in the car. I quickly fixed the bracket in the din and put back the console and did a test fit and found that the bracket was protruding 1.5 cm more than required. The frustration had already started cooking inside. Kept the bracket in position and maked the holes and ran back to the fabricator and he drilled new holes for free.

This time did a test fit and everything seems to be fine. OH!!!! I am using a 8 year old screen havent even checked if that it working. the last time i used this was in 2003. With fingers crossed, i made all the wiring and turned it on and WOW!!! it turned on. It was my lucky day i guess.

Finished up fixing all parts back and fine tuned it for a neat display.
1 more success!!!!

Some pics of the install are below.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p140608_14.08.jpg  

DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p140608_14.24.jpg  

DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p140608_15.3401.jpg  

DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p140608_16.32.jpg  

DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p140608_18.03.jpg  

DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p140608_18.04.jpg  

Old 15th June 2008, 22:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well congratulations buddy but is there no way you can remove the screen and install whenever you wont.
Wont it cause you problems in winters etc?
Old 15th June 2008, 22:52   #3
BHPian

Hats off to you mate!!

Thats' really a cool DIY job done !!

I am having a suggestion do think over it if u have some time to spare:

Try the manual rollers for the screen so that it moves in and out in that empty place where you have the bracket fitted , i think you can get a space for it ..

Even i am working on same project for my SANTRO in which the screen will be inside the dash ,by pressing the button(still manual one i got it not the automatically ),but i am short of budget
Old 16th June 2008, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Well congratulations buddy but is there no way you can remove the screen and install whenever you wont.
Wont it cause you problems in winters etc?
I can remove the screen by just sliding it up. Only the clamp provided with the screen is fixed. i will try to post the pic with screen removed by tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
Hats off to you mate!!

Thats' really a cool DIY job done !!

I am having a suggestion do think over it if u have some time to spare:

Try the manual rollers for the screen so that it moves in and out in that empty place where you have the bracket fitted , i think you can get a space for it ..

Even i am working on same project for my SANTRO in which the screen will be inside the dash ,by pressing the button(still manual one i got it not the automatically ),but i am short of budget

I had that in mind but this is just a temp setup to kill time when travelling.
Very shortly i will be putting back my car pc back. I am waiting to find time to go shopping to upgrade the components of the PC.

For actuating your screen you can use the actuators like these Firgelli Micro Miniature Linear Actuators Linear Servos

Here is my idea for actuating the screen...

Refer the attached picture. When the power is sent to the actuator, it pushes the screen out from the din along the guide. after the screen has move out 50% the loose string becomes tight pulling the screen backwards. because the actuator force is more, the screen lifts up to position..

When the power is reversed, the screen is pulled in along the guide and the din lip pushes the screen to fall to horizontal position and the screen goes in.

The dotted lines are the screen open position.

Apologies if my picture and my explanation has confused you more.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: 8 year old LCD in esteem (with some pics)-p160608_09.47.jpg  

Old 16th June 2008, 10:08   #5
BHPian

in place of the linear actuator, the CD ROM can be used if there is a way to preserve only the eject mechanism, eliminate all unnecessary things including the case and if the eject button can be placed in a different place on the dash

guys, i am looking forward for you feedback.

first time i have seen a new thread with so less replies on tbhp

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th June 2008 at 18:34.
Old 17th June 2008, 22:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Great DIY job mate, is there a way to make this installation easily removable. This will help if you really need to access the AC controls and to keep the prying eyes of a thief off.
Old 17th June 2008, 22:30   #7
BHPian

Hi Shreyas,
Great DIY. You have found a good and neat way to fix the screen. More pics from different angles would be apreciated. Just for some bucks and a great thinking you're having a screen in your car!
Old 17th June 2008, 22:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very Nice DIY. But Please do not watch Movies while Driving !!
Old 18th June 2008, 09:42   #9
BHPian

Jaggu,

The screen can be detached easily. All i need to is pull out the power and video jack and just slide up the screen from the company provided screen holder.

Vkochar,

i am not playing any unwatched movies while driving as it attracts attention. I am playing the already watched ones as we know whats going on in the movie even if not looking at the screen.

Thanking you for your feedback Tbhpians!!
Old 18th June 2008, 18:25   #10
BHPian

Very unique DIY. Another first on Team-BHP

BTW, what HU are you using ?
Old 19th June 2008, 00:31   #11
BHPian

i am using a pioneer dvd player
Old 19th June 2008, 08:10   #12
BANNED

Do Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post

i am not playing any unwatched movies while driving as it attracts attention. I am playing the already watched ones as we know whats going on in the movie even if not looking at the screen.
Will not recommend that. Been under a bus, gone off the road couple a times, and gods had enough mercy on me to escape both the times without hurting myself or the car. The problem in my case was this seen movie thought!

Please do not watch movies while you drive! You may use it as an entertainment medium in traffic blocks etc... though.
Old 19th June 2008, 09:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Isn't there a way to mount the screen flush into the 2 din & position the HU somewhere else ?
Old 19th June 2008, 09:42   #14
BANNED

I like that Keep up the good work mate !!!
Old 19th June 2008, 10:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Isn't there a way to mount the screen flush into the 2 din & position the HU somewhere else ?
That is possible.. but mine is just a temporary setup. As this is an old screen, the viewing angle is less.

We can mount screen in the 2din and put the player in the place below din. However some fabrication is required.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks