Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2008, 09:23   #1
BHPian

Boston G5 subs

I am in the process of upgrading ICE in my swift. I want to know how are Boston G5 subs in terms sq? I intend to put in 2 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures.
How do they perform as comapred to other subs that are available(ID,JL audio etc)

The link to BA site
Boston Acoustics - Mobile Audio - Products

I tried searching the forum but there isn't much information on BA products that I could find.
Old 21st June 2008, 10:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
I am in the process of upgrading ICE in my swift. I want to know how are Boston G5 subs in terms sq?
A friend of mine (big Boston fan) got the 12" version of this sub alsong with Boston Pro components and amps for his Civic. The SQ is ok. I found the bass a bit "soft" sort of being hit with a down pillow instead of the kick of a mule, but it was tight and well defined. For the sort of music my friend listens to (Jazz) it was great. For hip-Hop for example I'd prefer something else.

A great deal depends on what car are you going to stuf this into and what you are paying for it. At $100 or so (what my friend paid) it is a good bargain.
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A great deal depends on what car are you going to stuf this into and what you are paying for it. At $100 or so (what my friend paid) it is a good bargain.
Thank you sir for the information.
The car is a swift. I am confused now. I listen mostly to rock. I was using JBL 10"sub earlier. Going by your inputs I feel its better to put the money on ID subs. Any other information about any 10" sq sub will be helpful as I intend to finalize my setup this week. How are the JL audio 10" subs?
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

JL subs sound quite accurate too. for your type of listening JL can do pretty well.
So whats the stretch budget for the sub ?
Why only 10" ? a 12" also can be tuned to sound pretty neat with the right amp and enclosure.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
JL subs sound quite accurate too. for your type of listening JL can do pretty well.
So whats the stretch budget for the sub ?
Why only 10" ? a 12" also can be tuned to sound pretty neat with the right amp and enclosure.
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for 10" subs because they require less volume. I am planning to put in 2 10" subs on either side of the boot in fiberglass enclosures. 12" will be difficult as the space is limited. But my priority is sq. So if 12" will give me more SQ I will opt for it. So more or less I am inclined towards the JL audio subs. But they are not in stock I was told. It seems I will have to wait for a week if I want the 10". The budget for the subs is 20K.

Which amp will be suitable to drive 2 10" JL audio subs. I think they put in 450 RMS at 4ohm. Will Boston GT24 do well? My budget for amp is 15-20K.

OT, your work on the zen inspired me to do some fiberglassing! It was awsome.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:54   #6
BHPian

i use jl audio 10" w3v2 running 420rms@4 ohms on lrx1.1k
all i can say is they get very loud and go low very well but are not good for rock music (weak mid bass).

for rock music you may look in ID Q V3 ,plenty of mid bass and blends seamlessly with the fronts.

this is just my opinion on jl audio subs !
Old 27th June 2008, 14:01   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the input?How much does the V3 cost?
Old 27th June 2008, 15:07   #8
BHPian

its between 19-20k, pm gunbir for prices

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks