Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 13:21   #16
BHPian

well i have tried a lot to get a decent sounding setup from an SX4 ZXI. Infinity components in front,Infinity 6x9 in rear, JBL sub, tried 2 different 4 channel amps + 1 monoblock.
In the end the easiest way was to change the HU and it rocked!
Old 24th June 2008, 13:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I really appreciate your hard work on bringing the quality sound in your SX4. Even I am not happy with the sound and I am planning to change the speakers without changing the head unit. Your hard work will definitely help the fellow bhpians having SX4/Dzire who wants to have good quality without changing the HU.

Please keep us posted. Also list down the cost of each component spent.
Yup dude i shall keep ya guys updated on the same and here is the price of the components :

JBL GTO 937se ovals - 4300/- (with bill and warranty)
JBL GTO 607c components - 6100/- (with bill and warranty)
JBL GTO 1004 4 channel amplifier - 9300 (grey market piece)
The wiring(Scosche)+line output converter(scosche)=6000/- (with proper bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
well i have tried a lot to get a decent sounding setup from an SX4 ZXI. Infinity components in front,Infinity 6x9 in rear, JBL sub, tried 2 different 4 channel amps + 1 monoblock.
In the end the easiest way was to change the HU and it rocked!
So which head unit did ya install mate ? And did ya go for the scosche dash kit ? Because i was told that the integrated deck is not of a standard double-din size .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th June 2008 at 14:52. Reason: See note in post
Old 24th June 2008, 14:36   #18
BHPian

if the HU is changed, will the steering controls still work ?
Old 24th June 2008, 15:05   #19
BHPian

The steering controls dont work. Thats why on my own ZXI i havent changed the HU as yet. I want a workaround for this.
The install on my friend's SX4 ZXI now is as follows:-
1) Pio 7950
2) Infinity components front.
3) Rockford 6x9 Components (rear)
4) Kenwood 4ch amp
5) JBL 12" woofer in an enclosure which is replica of their boxed subwoofer (as claimed by shop owner)
6) Sony Monoblock amp (used from a previous car install)

we did not use any dash kit. we just bought the SX4 VXI bracket(plastic) which is put in place of the stereo incase of the VXI. This gives you the storage place below a single DIN deck also.

Last edited by arpandiv : 24th June 2008 at 15:06.
Old 24th June 2008, 15:30   #20
BHPian

@ l3g40 - If budget permits, do justice to that car - throw that nippon box out and get a decent HU. A new gen pio HU (for eg, me using one) in the range of 5-6K has 3 pre outs, USB and Aux-in. You don't need any external convertor or high level input processing also.
Old 24th June 2008, 17:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
@ l3g40 - If budget permits, do justice to that car - throw that nippon box out and get a decent HU. A new gen pio HU (for eg, me using one) in the range of 5-6K has 3 pre outs, USB and Aux-in. You don't need any external convertor or high level input processing also.
I think it would do justice to install a MP3/DVD with Touchscreen as a lot of money has been spent on the amp & speakers (only if there is a plan to change HU). I am planning this when time comes to change my HU.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I think it would do justice to install a MP3/DVD with Touchscreen as a lot of money has been spent on the amp & speakers (only if there is a plan to change HU). I am planning this when time comes to change my HU.
Yes Gopi, I said Pio because of the budget constraints if any and it is one of the good budget brand offering 3 pre-outs, USB/Aux-in, ipod/BT compatibility etc around 5K onwards. If you can shell out some good money, go for a good / high end HU, but throw that nippon out anyway.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:55   #23
BHPian

Nippon is marketing Kenwood products in India. Kenwood HUs are way superior to what this cheap Chinese Nippon unit is. The catalogue does even provide the technical specifications of this unit.

I have compos in front, co-axials at rear and a 12" sub, and as we just have two channels (front & rear), I cannot have separate fader control on all the speakers.
Old 24th June 2008, 19:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Nippon is marketing Kenwood products in India. Kenwood HUs are way superior to what this cheap Chinese Nippon unit is. The catalogue does even provide the technical specifications of this unit.

I have compos in front, co-axials at rear and a 12" sub, and as we just have two channels (front & rear), I cannot have separate fader control on all the speakers.
The chinese quality really sucks. Initially we praised them for giving the products cheaper, also good quality products were shipped to U.S & U.K and we got the low quality products. Now even in U.K the quality so poor. There is a trend coming to avoid if it is a chinese product.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

The products in question are not "Chinese", but made in China against designs made by Japanese, American and European companies. Even the best of the products are manufactured in China, since the manufacturing cost is much less - so that the product cost is controlled to practical levels. The same product, with the same components, would cost twice if made in US or Europe. Then what will we buy?

The lacunae are in the design decisions taken by these companies (low cost == less features, simpler critical components, lesser fidelity). Some companies, like Nippon (Kenwood's low cost arm), excel in making reliable but ultra-low-cost products, which the Car manufacturers love because it allows them to control their margins. Both companies get their stuff manufactured in China, it is only that Kenwood doesn't have to have the "low cost" limitation as it sells direct.

@ragzv, which HU gives independent Fader controls for each speaker? In a way (almost) every HU does - you just have to play with Fader, Balance and Sub level to achieve what you want.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Nippon (Kenwood's low cost arm), excel in making reliable but ultra-low-cost products,
Ahem, I have to correct you here.

Kenwood has no relation to Nippon.

The distribution company for Kenwood in India is called Nippon (a bit of a misnomer as it is quite an Indian company) and this distribution company also has certain products (low cost Head units and speakers, hand held GPS units etc.) made for them, which they sell under their own brand - Nippon.

It would be incorrect to call Nippon the low cost arm of Kenwood.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

I stand corrected, sire, but there had been mention of a (brand) 'Nippon' - related to Kenwood - in the context of supplying OE to MM, Maruti etc. I might have completely mistaken the context. You know better, so I defer.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3g0l4s View Post
Havent taken snaps of my system yet . But found a pic of the line-out-converter . Here it is :
set all the gains to minimum and raise the gains slowly.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
The steering controls dont work. Thats why on my own ZXI i havent changed the HU as yet. I want a workaround for this.
The install on my friend's SX4 ZXI now is as follows:-
1) Pio 7950
2) Infinity components front.
3) Rockford 6x9 Components (rear)
4) Kenwood 4ch amp
5) JBL 12" woofer in an enclosure which is replica of their boxed subwoofer (as claimed by shop owner)
6) Sony Monoblock amp (used from a previous car install)

we did not use any dash kit. we just bought the SX4 VXI bracket(plastic) which is put in place of the stereo incase of the VXI. This gives you the storage place below a single DIN deck also.
Tats a good system you have got there mate . And never thought of getting the plastic bracket ! Tat sounds like a good and a cheap way of getting a new deck installed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Quote:
Yup mate ! So now again i will have to get back to the "savings mode" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
set all the gains to minimum and raise the gains slowly.
Yup . Kinda played with the controls for some time .. Probably will have to spend a lot more time tuning it ( God damn those bloody CAT classes ! )

But a new problem has arised .. I get this static/hissing sound whoch is very evident at low volumes which is really annoying ! What could the problem be ? Is it because i messed up with the controls ? And could someone please tell me on what effect do these controls have i.e.
1). Input level
2). X-over- HPF / Flat / LPF
3). Frequency

As in what effect do these controls have over the sound ?

Thanx again folks
Old 24th June 2008, 23:34   #30
BHPian

Ok Buddy,

Now this hissing sound is again because of the HU. That’s some of the main characteristics of "The Nippon HU"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks