Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2008, 18:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Blaupunkt GTA 280, not the GTA 2 Mk xx.

Last edited by DerAlte : 26th June 2008 at 21:50.
Old 26th June 2008, 18:59   #17
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte

Crutchfield has the best price for Polk Momo. They even have free shipping for orders above 129$. The speakers come to 119$. So I was thinking if I can buy Fosgate amp kit for 2-channel:

Rockford Fosgate RFK10i 10-gauge amplifier power and signal wiring kit at Crutchfield.com

Though it is 29$, I will save 10$ in shipping so it will be 19$. This kit is a 8-gauge one. Scoche in Walmart is 24$ and Monster is 34$.

WHat do you suggest?

One more stupid question: Can't I connect my iPod to any amp, if I can splitter cable that will split my iPod output to Right and Left?

Last edited by madbullram : 26th June 2008 at 19:06.
Old 26th June 2008, 19:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
can you explain the concept little bit more on what it is, so I can call them and ask.
Some marine speakers have a webbing similar to a spider covering the gap between the cone and the tweeter post, air/ water tight. I suggest using something with this not because I think an extreme amount of water will go into your speaker, but since your car will be more exposed to dusty environs (offroading etc.), you will have lots of dust settling on the speakers.
Old 26th June 2008, 19:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Some marine speakers have a webbing similar to a spider covering the gap between the cone and the tweeter post, air/ water tight. I suggest using something with this not because I think an extreme amount of water will go into your speaker, but since your car will be more exposed to dusty environs (offroading etc.), you will have lots of dust settling on the speakers.
Thanks B&T got that. So how do I find this in a speaker. Circuit city has this speaker so i can go and check today evening. Can you tell what I should look for?

Here is blow up view of the speakers:

@ All: Also found a Infiniti speakers, Infinity 6902M (6902m) , Marine Audio Equipment, Marine Audio Speakers - Sonic Electronix suggestions?

Last edited by madbullram : 26th June 2008 at 19:55.
Old 26th June 2008, 20:48   #20
nitin.dangayach

MOMO series is POWER HOG. If you dont plan to add an amplifier, you'll not get enough.

But yes, they are Marine certified.

MOMO is no more in production so better look out for the DB series. DB691 should suffice your need. And it works good with even the 20W RMS HU, better with the AMP.

Old 26th June 2008, 21:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
MOMO series is POWER HOG. If you dont plan to add an amplifier, you'll not get enough.

But yes, they are Marine certified.

MOMO is no more in production so better look out for the DB series. DB691 should suffice your need. And it works good with even the 20W RMS HU, better with the AMP.
Thanks Mate. No wonder DB series is 10$ more though Momo had better specs

Last edited by madbullram : 26th June 2008 at 21:12.
Old 26th June 2008, 21:32   #22
Team-BHP Support

Madbullram, do you have a CJ3B with doors, how is the NVH? I am asking this because in my doorless CJ340, I can't hear the person on the next seat if they speak in normal voice. In my Jeep, ICE is unthinkable or unhearable.
Old 26th June 2008, 21:52   #23
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Thanks B&T got that. So how do I find this in a speaker. Circuit city has this speaker so i can go and check today evening. Can you tell what I should look for?

Here is blow up view of the speakers:

@ All: Also found a Infiniti speakers,

suggestions?

I auditioned the same speakers at Cicuit City and have bought a pair, each of DB691 and DB401.

Infinity is more birghter so stay away from them. The DBs have big silk dome tweeters. You'll love the difference. Just audition them at the store. You'll know what I am talking about.

BTW which place in US ?

Mod's Note: Do not quote a full post in your reply unnecessarily. More so if it has images.

Old 26th June 2008, 22:38   #24
BHPian

Sam Ji: I would be adding doors the Classic style. I hear GTO is happy with his music setup so I hope it should be. Thats teh reason I want to pump music through an Amp. The Polk one have a rating of 100W and peak of 200W, hopefully when paired with 70W amp i should be able to hear them. I am cutting down woofer for space thats why thinking on 6X9s

Nitin: Thanks mate. I will check them out, I got a fabulous pricing on these from amamax Polk Audio DB691 Marine Certified 3 Way Speakers - 6" x 9" *FREE SHIPPING* - Polk Audio Marine Speakers - db691 . I gonna send that to Sonic and ask them to beat 105% percent. I am in Appleton in WI for next 3 weeks So you are saying DB is much better than Momo?
Old 26th June 2008, 22:59   #25
nitin.dangayach

I think if you are getting an AMP for sure, go for MOMO. They are cheaper, more powerful and feature externel cross overs. Of course they work well only with the AMPs.

I dont intend to buy an amplifier any soon, so I chose DB.

Old 26th June 2008, 23:00   #26
nitin.dangayach

Sonic is already selling them at 109 :P so you are already getting them cheaper there.

Old 26th June 2008, 23:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Sonic is already selling them at 109 :P so you are already getting them cheaper there.
Add 20$ shipping it will become 129$ beat the price is including shipping. The other site does free FedEx

Nitin: Why you suggest Momo with Amp and DB without Amp...spec wise they seem to be almost same so both should work the same. Whats the diff?
Old 26th June 2008, 23:29   #28
nitin.dangayach

I am not sure. The momos do not push much without an amp and they simply rule with an amp.

The DB series is re-formuated MOMO (momo690->db690->db691), which was re-engineered to work well with stock radios.

Although the specs seem to be similar, I have been advised to go for MOMO with AMP and DB can work without AMPs : by the Crutchfield advisors and the guys at Fry's Electronics.

Even in the description at PolkAudio DB series's ability to work with the stock radios is highlighted. MOMO is a power play IMHO.

I might be wrong but this is what i figured out in my research and discussions.

Old 26th June 2008, 23:39   #29
BHPian

Perfect. I think I will go with your advise. Sonic just got back with $119.71 for 691 including shipping .

So. now i have to decide Momo or 691 Have you heard both?
Old 26th June 2008, 23:43   #30
nitin.dangayach

Not the momos. But polks were way better than the infinities, kickers, alpines, pioneers.

You can go for any of them. If you are using an AMP, it shouldn't matter.

I feel that since DB is the latest one, it should b given preference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks