Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 09:28   #1
BHPian

Amalgamated bass+mid range+high range.

Gurus,I know i am being too finicky but just can't help it.Although i am pretty much satisfied with the SQ, but still (since i visit Tbhp regularly )I have been planning to add a sub and a 4Ch amp to my existing setup in the swift.

As of now i have compos in the front and 6x9 in the rear parcel powered by pio 5050. i have auditioned few good setups and few not so good (judge being my ears).But there is one thing thats holding me back from adding a amp+sub, for all the systems that i have heard (apart from a few, which are very refined and drill a crater in your wallet) they have the same problem,( can be my perception)

I just can't feel the bass mixing with the music, its kind of coming from the rear and i can feel the puny time lag. I am not sure whether i am being bit too cynical about it or there was some problem with the setups(which is quite rare, since the stuff used was good and the installers were reputed ones). On the contrary, the owners tell me that its how it is supposed to play. But i just cant justify myself , so please gurus help me to clear up my brains and my doubts!!

Is there any way(without changing the HU, i am aware of couple of high end HU which come with Time Alignment) to mix the sub's output with the music playing from the front/rear speakers ??

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2008 at 10:30. Reason: Edited for readability
Old 1st July 2008, 10:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

It can be done for that you need TA, or phase shift in the amp. But for a very good response the phase shift in the hu that is NORMAL or REVERSE helps a lot in achieving it.

You don't need a specifically TA hu for that.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It can be done for that you need TA, or phase shift in the amp. But for a very good response the phase shift in the hu that is NORMAL or REVERSE helps a lot in achieving it.

You don't need a specifically TA hu for that.
I have tried with the Reverse phase shift but i can still not achieve what i am looking for!!
Old 1st July 2008, 12:22   #4
BHPian

I dont want the bass appear to be originating from the rear of the car. Can we have a setup in which the bass appears as if coming from the front same as we have the compos working.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nickoo which car is this for?
Old 1st July 2008, 13:00   #6
BHPian

Hey gunbir
Its for a Swift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Nickoo which car is this for?
Old 1st July 2008, 13:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

What you need is to delay the front as compared to the sub in the boot. How do you intend to achieve that without using a TA-capable HU? LBM, can the PXA do that, in case the current HU is not TA-capable?

The other option is to locate the sub below the front seats or below the center console (not possible in many cars).
Old 1st July 2008, 13:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What you need is to delay the front as compared to the sub in the boot. How do you intend to achieve that without using a TA-capable HU? LBM, can the PXA do that, in case the current HU is not TA-capable?

The other option is to locate the sub below the front seats or below the center console (not possible in many cars).
i feel placing the sub below the front seats or below the center console wont be a good idea

Sorry for being a noob, but what's a PXA?? Is it the Sound Processor that LBM has as one of the few equipments in his 'Chalta Firta Sound Studio' :-)
Old 1st July 2008, 14:05   #9
BHPian

Well you should hear soem of gunbirs/JB's installs. The right choice of equipment insttlaed correctly can be made to blend beautifully without any TA or any processing whatsoever.
To hear is to beleive.
Old 1st July 2008, 14:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Try adding the sub in the front console under the HU & before the stick shift (If it is possible in a Swift). I intend to add a 8" Sub on my lancer with a modified console. Have head a car's install & it was WOW

Gurus please comment

Cheers
Old 1st July 2008, 14:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Try adding the sub in the front console under the HU & before the stick shift (If it is possible in a Swift). I intend to add a 8" Sub on my lancer with a modified console. Have head a car's install & it was WOW

Gurus please comment

Cheers
I am sure if i plan to go for such a mod, the dashboard for the swift will rattle like fluttering kite. Mate, the doors in swift, if not dampened sing their own tune if you just add a decent component set without an amp!!!
Talking about the woofer at someplace below the HU will surely make it sing "Sultan Of Swing"!!
Old 1st July 2008, 14:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
i feel placing the sub below the front seats or below the center console wont be a good idea
Why, sir? Search, there is even a Gunbir/JB install in an Innova (I think) with 2 10"ers below the front seat - stealth install!
Quote:
Sorry for being a noob, but what's a PXA?? Is it the Sound Processor that LBM has as one of the few equipments in his 'Chalta Firta Sound Studio' :-)
Eggjhackly! An Alpine PXAxxx. There are others from other brands. NOT an equalizer with sliding pots on the front plate, but a full blown digital sound processor.
Old 1st July 2008, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Gunbir bhaji
SOS
Old 1st July 2008, 15:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Well you should hear soem of gunbirs/JB's installs. The right choice of equipment insttlaed correctly can be made to blend beautifully without any TA or any processing whatsoever.
To hear is to beleive.
Quote:
Gunbir bhaji
SOS
Nickoo, SK already answered your question in a way. Its true, TA is a boon. But we aren't big fans of it. Sure, its a shortcut... but since when did the good things in life come easily.

It is entirely possible to get equal or better results by:
- choosing the right combination of equipment
- correct installation, and
- tuning

Cheers!
Old 1st July 2008, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Nickoo, SK already answered your question in a way. Its true, TA is a boon. But we aren't big fans of it. Sure, its a shortcut... but since when did the good things in life come easily.

It is entirely possible to get equal or better results by:
- choosing the right combination of equipment
- correct installation, and
- tuning

Cheers!
Thanks bhaji, you got a PM!!

Most Viewed