Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 00:26   #1
BHPian

Compact Subwoofer for SX4 ZXi

Hi Gurus, I wish to install a subwoofer in my SX4 ZXI. I am not looking for any mind numbing bass. I want a unit that complements my cars OEM speakers and produces clean bass lines without distortion.

I have been advised by many dealers to have a bass box installed in my boot. But I do not like the sound produced by such units and feel that they sound too muddled up and boomy when placed in a sedan's boot. Also size is a major concern fo me. I do not want to sacrifice my boot space for a subwoofer.

another option is to install a subwoofer on the rear parcel tray. this would involve cutting a hole through. I am ok to do that as long as the installation is neat. However the SX4s rear tray is not flat and is made of fibre. Thus i doubt that the installaton would be neat and even if it is i am pretty sure that the tray will resonate with the subwoofer which in turn would kill my will to live.

I havent been offered any other solution by the dealers. could you suggest any solution?

Also my budget is around 7k (tiny compared to the ones in this forum)
while searching the net I came across underseat subwoofers (Blaupunkt THb 200A for example. this also another by clarion). It seems to be an interesting solution but i have never heard or seen these subwoofers. has anybody heard these and where are this available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sabya
Old 10th July 2008, 13:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any budget is a respectable budget, and there is a commensurate solution - please don't feel embarrassed.

The units you have mentioned are difficult to get in India. If you pound the beat, you may be able to locate a dealer who has 1 piece.

I am not sure why you were told a sealed box in the boot will give boomy bass. However, your real issue is boot space.

The alternative solution is to take an 8" or 10" sub (again, not so popular, so you have to search) and make an underseat box. You can search for references to such installs in the ICE section - I remember at least 1 M800 and 1 Innova install. Parcel tray is also a possibility, but it will be boomy.

For the amp (yes, you need one) you can look for an economical but powerful 2-channel bridgeable amp, which can drive your sub. Or a 4-channel one if you want to drive your front speakers and sub.

7K is going to be tight - you will have to search a lot and select the right stuff. Be patient. You have to account for the cost of the box and cables also. Worst case: you may have to do it yourself if cost is a severe constraint. You can take inspiration to many who have done it themselves (check the "Sound off and Show off" and the DIY sections).
Old 10th July 2008, 14:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
But I do not like the sound produced by such units and feel that they sound too muddled up and boomy when placed in a sedan's boot. I do not want to sacrifice my boot space for a subwoofer.

another option is to install a subwoofer on the rear parcel tray. However the SX4s rear tray is not flat and is made of fibre.

the moment you are considering a sub you need to also consider an amp and a pair of good RCA wires. a basic 2 ch. amp and RCA wires will cost you 4K. that leave only 3K for the sub. For that money i would look at getting a Pio 252F in the rear tray of your SX4. For this you will have to change the rear tray to one made of MDF.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I have been advised by many dealers to have a bass box installed in my boot. But I do not like the sound produced by such units and feel that they sound too muddled up and boomy when placed in a sedan's boot. Also size is a major concern fo me. I do not want to sacrifice my boot space for a subwoofer.
another option is to install a subwoofer on the rear parcel tray. this would involve cutting a hole through. I am ok to do that as long as the installation is neat. However the SX4s rear tray is not flat and is made of fibre. Thus i doubt that the installaton would be neat and even if it is i am pretty sure that the tray will resonate with the subwoofer which in turn would kill my will to live.

Also my budget is around 7k

Thanks
Sabya
You have to go for grey market at 7k+diy only and it is very much possible.(i have jbl woofer +diy box, schosche cable ,power cable and amp for 2250+500+500+300+3000=6550)At a slightly higher budget you can even think of sidewall installation and will save lot of space also.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Any budget is a respectable budget, and there is a commensurate solution - please don't feel embarrassed.
WELL SAID SIR ! .Yes If you have a fixed budget, there is nothing wrong in mentioning it.
@ Mohang j: Great man . No need of high spending .

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th July 2008 at 16:59. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 22:43   #6
BHPian

Thanks everybody for your ideas.

I havent heard too many sealed box suwoofers, but i think they sound better in a hatchback than in a sedan, maybe because the back seat separates the subwoofer from the car's cabin in a sedan. I may be wrong and might have heard only poorly installed subwoofers till now.

Can anyone comment on the performance of the amplified underseat subwoofers? I can source it from the UK but I want to be sure that its worth it.

also what is a sidewall installation and where exactly will this be installed in a sedan? I have never heard of this before.
Old 10th July 2008, 23:06   #7
BHPian

hi locomotive.i myself have an sx4 and installed a woofer but in the boot. the rear parcel is too cramped for putting any sub. i myself have installed two speakers on the rear parcel shelf. my system is as follows; jbl gto 75.4, jbl gt-5 sub, front comps gto -504c, rear co-axs infinity 9623i with the stock hu . i play most of the songs with my nokia 6300 with hu's aux-in sounds better with additional bass effect.
Old 11th July 2008, 09:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
also what is a sidewall installation and where exactly will this be installed in a sedan? I have never heard of this before.
Like this.
Needs fiberglassing and bit expensive but considering boot space it uses the corner and saves lot of space to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact Subwoofer for SX4 ZXi-side.jpg  

Old 11th July 2008, 10:01   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Like this.
Needs fiberglassing and bit expensive but considering boot space it uses the corner and saves lot of space to use.
Also since the volume enclosed will be usually under 1 cu. ft. you have to stick to subs that are comfortable with that little volume.

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the performance of the amplified underseat subwoofers?
under seat subs are more woofers than subwoofers. they boost the midbass to provide an impression of bass.

it's been done. I have one such sub in my car and Gunbir, B&T and BlueRaven have posted pics of many a car wit this install. The best place is the side wall that is opposite the fuel tank.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The units you have mentioned are difficult to get in India. If you pound the beat, you may be able to locate a dealer who has 1 piece.
Blau THb200A is not available in India. The alternative product is THb210A. Blau sells this at MRP 12,500.00. This unit has in-built amplifier. I have not really checked the peformance, but planning to get audition.
Old 12th July 2008, 10:55   #11
BHPian

The sidewall installation looks really very neat . There is a fair amount of space in that corner in the SX4 which is usually not used. how much does it typically cost?

Navin how is the performance of this installation in your car? would you recommend any budget driver and amplifier combination with a good performance?

Radek do you know any dealers in Mumbai who have the blaupunkt 210?
Old 12th July 2008, 20:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Radek do you know any dealers in Mumbai who have the blaupunkt 210?
I called Blau phone service - some bangalore based number - available on blau India site. They will be able to tell you dealer as well as their sales manager for your area.

Btw. There is similar model from Alpine as well. A nearby shop quoted 9.5k, but they don't have a demo piece.
Old 12th July 2008, 20:34   #13
BHPian

These threads might help you:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ubwoofers.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...yone-beat.html
Old 13th July 2008, 00:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin how is the performance of this installation in your car?
Acceptable. My earlier subs have been much more complex and space consuming. But for this install I needed to have enough room in my car for 2 30" bag and 3 carry on bags so the sub and amps had to be stuffed into nooks and crannies.
Old 13th July 2008, 08:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The sidewall installation looks really very neat . There is a fair amount of space in that corner in the SX4 which is usually not used. how much does it typically cost?
I have started making one as of now i have spent about 1200Rs and estimated 1500Rs with cloth finishing.May be about 2000 for XS4.If you chose painting that will cost you about 3000-4000Rs more.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact Subwoofer for SX4 ZXi-image032.jpg  

Last edited by mohang_j : 13th July 2008 at 08:43.

Most Viewed