Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 11:44   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Yet again were 6x9's really needed? when you had the compo's,the same amount could have been saved and used for damping. As of now its mentioned they are being run by the HU hence the compo's will over power the coax
Dear, there is something known as budget.
6x9s are cheaper than compos. And when it is not amplified, the SQ makes very little difference!

If we take a poll on how many people have 6x9s in the rear (connected directly to HU) I am sure it will significantly outnumber the people who have installed compos in the rear (connected directly to HU) - Assuming that they already have subwoofer installed.

I have seen Sam himself recommending 6x9s connected to HU at the rear.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Chill guys, the discussion is not going anywhere. The customer is happy and that is what matters.

Gunbir, you are good at clearing basic doubts of your wannabe patients in simple terms. I like your attitude - I would have appointed you as my family doctor if you were in Bangalore. Thank you
Old 14th July 2008, 11:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post

Some reasons why I would never do this:
- The safety issue. One may think the rear quarter glass is unnecessary but its not.

I agree with you on this.

- 6x9s score over 6.5" or 5.25" speakers in the bass area. In a small sealed enclosure like the one used here, the 6x9 is not gonna have any edge over a smaller speaker.

Yeah but these speakers are not amplified, so it doesnt justify the cost involved in installing components, especially because the budget was tight.

- The rear passengers will almost always have one speaker within couple of inches of one ear and the other about 30" away.

Do you mean that a parcel tray is perfect? I think ... if you consider the 80-20 (pareto) rule, saving space is what 80% of customers would want, rather than a 20% increase in SQ.

- The relatively heavy 6x9 plus enclosure is not glued to the location. It has to be mounted (screw holes ?). Plus imagine it flying towards the front in an accident.

This is something we never thought about. You have a point here! Satya, can we do something about this?
Please check my comments in bold.

Last edited by gopz : 14th July 2008 at 11:55.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Chill guys, the discussion is not going anywhere. The customer is happy and that is what matters.
Absolutely correct. The customer (Javed) is totally satisfied for what he paid. And Satya deserves credit for that, thats why the thread was started.

If the thread title is what some people are uncomfortable with, then I request the mods to change the title ;-)

Last edited by gopz : 14th July 2008 at 11:59.
Old 14th July 2008, 12:09   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Dear, there is something known as budget.
6x9s are cheaper than compos. And when it is not amplified, the SQ makes very little difference!

If we take a poll on how many people have 6x9s in the rear (connected directly to HU) I am sure it will significantly outnumber the people who have installed compos in the rear (connected directly to HU) - Assuming that they already have subwoofer installed.

I have seen Sam himself recommending 6x9s connected to HU at the rear.
Sir i do understand the budget thats why im saying,that 6x9's money "could" have been saved,are 6x9 contributing to the SQL setup? People recommend according to their taste's,I'm not reccomending anything,all i want to know it the money spent justified?

Quote:
I just was looking at the other option that could had been used.
Old 14th July 2008, 12:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me clarify something here, we did consult the installer before purchasing the HU from the US and in fact it was through Satya that we got an additional discount as well. Satya was suggesting eFX 6x9s but Javed chose Alpine.

what is 'plane jane stupidity' in this install? And, what exactly (in this install) has wasted the installers capability?

Remember...all the magic lies in the tuning & the installer's skills.

Mr. Gopz, I guess blueraven satya has been polite not to decline your or your friends calls!

Let me also add that there are a lot of people who read the forum, call some installer - "sir, can I buy so and so ? "

What do you think the installer will answer? And the guys who answer in the negative get the wrong publicity too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I really believe this: A good installer is like a doctor. Give him your symptoms, let him suggest the cure. It is then his responsibility to ensure you are satisfied. But people tend to use them like chemists sometimes. In which case, you just get what you wanted and if it sounds awful, it isn't his responsibility.
Well said Gunbir, I agree
Old 14th July 2008, 12:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Its funny to read certain comments and explanations which will make a reader to think its a discussion going on about something else !! I believe this thread is about "Wagon R space saver install" .

I have seen almost 24 various ICE installations on Wagon Rs, half of them in my compound itself. I dont need a second thought to say This is the best space saver install I have ever seen in a Wagon R.

Best boot floor space = Nobody with a subwoofer has this luxury (check my own garage to see 3 boxes staring at you; only good part of mine is; all detachable in need !)
Best utility of the full boot = No tray means it can accomodate huge tall boxes, and I hate tray installs, it starts giving killing accompaniments with its creeks and rattles !
Clean and wise use of space under seats = I have never seen anyone keeping their groceries, valuables or any such things under the front seats unless boot is totaly occupied.
Usage of coaxials or compos is a topic of debate everywhere. A budget install can not think of compos if you dont want to compromise quality. So, I would certainly recomend this set up to anyone who asks my opinion about saving space ! Kudos to the installer and the owner !
Old 14th July 2008, 12:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice install Satya. Many years ago, I had installed a M800 with a 3-way 8" component system in the rear which had the 4" mid and tweeter similarly mounted on the quarter glass area. The quarter glass was given a dark film on the outside to prevent the backsides of the speakers from being visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
1. With the 10" sub in the car, there's no need for a set of 6X9s. As this install is about boasting the space saving capabilities, this was the first thing which should've stayed out. I'm sure Blueraven should've advised about this.
I have to agree. If the customer had not already purchased the 6x9s, a more elegant solution would have been to have coaxials in the rear doors, since the system has a sub. But I think Satya was helpless here.
Old 14th July 2008, 13:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check my comments in bold.
Gopz I agree its a great space saver, as do most here. B&T told you he's done quarter glass installs too, I'm telling you I've done under seat subs too... and so on. Those are not the bone of contention.

I just think a 5.25" (or such) coax could have sufficed in place of the 6x9s. Thats all. It would have been even less obtrusive, and cheaper with little effect on current SQ. Just a minor nitpick really.

Thanks for sharing the install with us. Please don't take our criticisms personally. What good are friends if they don't give you their honest opinions, right?

Old 14th July 2008, 13:51   #55
BANNED

Oh my goodness!
Where's this going to? Where am I suppose to purchase a life from?

Baba! This is a forum. And if there's something we don't like in an install, we always (well, most of the time) sound our opinion here. If auditioning/listening is the qualification to comment/criticise a setup, then it's not needed to post an install here too.
Whenever you post an install in this section, don't just expect good words but be ready to face the criticism too. As Gunbir said, don't take it personal. It's for the love of audio that we all are here together. Ain't it?

Yes! The title of this thread also adds to it. Especially to some bald heads like me. It invites us to find faults in the setup.

Now, when is Javed changing his 6X9s to coaxials (not compos) ???
Old 14th July 2008, 14:08   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Oh my goodness!
Where's this going to? Where am I suppose to purchase a life from?

Baba! This is a forum. And if there's something we don't like in an install, we always (well, most of the time) sound our opinion here. If auditioning/listening is the qualification to comment/criticise a setup, then it's not needed to post an install here too.
Whenever you post an install in this section, don't just expect good words but be ready to face the criticism too. As Gunbir said, don't take it personal. It's for the love of audio that we all are here together. Ain't it?

Yes! The title of this thread also adds to it. Especially to some bald heads like me. It invites us to find faults in the setup.

Now, when is Javed changing his 6X9s to coaxials (not compos) ???
Yeah but there are better ways to convey your criticism dear brother

OK, back to the topic - how much difference (in SQ) will it make if the 6x9s are changed to coaxials?
Old 14th July 2008, 14:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but there are better ways to convey your criticism dear brother

OK, back to the topic - how much difference (in SQ) will it make if the 6x9s are changed to coaxials?
Not very much. It would probably sound the same with even more space saved. Having a 6x9 at the rear makes sense when your sub is also at the rear. But here the sound stage is very much in the front. A pair of co-axials at the rear doors should do just fine. my .002
Old 14th July 2008, 14:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SQ difference is answered by esteem_lover. Space difference could be 2 inches unless you have wafer thin speaker (hope there is one !!) to be stuck to the quarter glass ! If one wants that space for a million dollar bracelet storage (nothing else can fit there !), answer is rear doors !
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
A pair of co-axials at the rear doors should do just fine.
Thats a brilliant idea, it will not only avoid blocking the quarter glass but also enhance the listening experience. Still.. remember your bum is on the woofer ! Someone should do a research on the biological after-effects of such an experience over a period of time
Old 14th July 2008, 14:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Especially to some bald heads like me.
If you ever run out of hair on your head, you know where to cut-paste it from, right?
Old 14th July 2008, 14:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Not very much. It would probably sound the same with even more space saved. Having a 6x9 at the rear makes sense when your sub is also at the rear. But here the sound stage is very much in the front. A pair of co-axials at the rear doors should do just fine. my .002
And this comes from a guy who has got BIG speakers almost my height! Well I am talking of his home system - A separate Amplifier, separate tape deck, separate CD/DVD and all connected to the computer too..And hes got great music!

Quote:
If the thread title is what some people are uncomfortable with, then I request the mods to change the title ;-)
Not required - Thread title sounds right - Theres no harm showing off my friend, but as someone mentioned here, a Showoff will have a lot of criticism both good and bad - one should be able to face it just as he is able to show off.

Happy listening

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th July 2008 at 12:42. Reason: See note in post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks