Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 12:12   #1
BHPian

Upgrade to double bass for zen.

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of upgrading the present ICE in my zen.

I currently have the folowing installed.

JBL GTO 4000 600 watts amp.
JBL GTO 12" 300 watts sub.
JBL GTO 17t tweets.
JBL GTO 937 coxial.
HU-Got ROBBED (Actually was a piece of junk anyways.Imagine his surprise when he tries to sell it somewhere and the darn thing does not power up.hehe)

Have pretty much narrowed down on the following upgrades.

HU-any mp3 player will do as long it has 3 pre amps.(Suggestions!!)
Another 12" 300 watts sub.
Components upfront (Not decided yet)
Monoblock (most probably a GTO 601).

Few questions here.

1.The gto 4000 has only 1 bridged outlet.Is it possible to power 2 300 watt subs through this amp?so then i would just buy a 2 ch amp to power the compos and the coaxials would run off the HU.
2.What would be the aproximate price of a 600 watt monoblock in mumbai?
3.Any other steup i could use.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Oh almost forgot..Approxiamte budget:- lower the better but somewhere around 20g's.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:34   #2
BHPian

And 20 is excluding the HU
Old 16th July 2008, 16:36   #3
BANNED

Hi, hello and welcome to the wicked section of Team-bhp.

Any HU which can play MP3s but should have 3pre outs?
I suggest you get a Pioneer 4050. If you want to go a bit more high, then the 6050.

Get the same GTO 12" sub as you have now. It will match your current bass and output.
Run both the subs in parallel/series from the monoblock amp. Don't use your old amp for this.

Get some good components. You can choose from the vast range of JBLs, Illusion Audio, Rainbow, Bull Audio, Hertz etc..
Keep the current coaxials where it is if you want to.
Power the speakers from the old amp. Some fine tuning at the amp and HU will get your setup rocking. Make sure to get more power to the front comps rather than the rear coaxs.

Get in touch with our in house Gurus from Mumbai like B&T, Sam, Ramie etc.. For any assistance.
Old 16th July 2008, 17:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

4000 pumps out only 150W in bridged more. Will suggest a mono.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

that was one stupid thief. all these ICE goodies and the thief nicked the HU ... you are lucky
Old 17th July 2008, 14:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
that was one stupid thief. all these ICE goodies and the thief nicked the HU ... you are lucky
Ya, i know.Not taking any chances though.Had to disconnect the autocop at that time since the already weak battery was getting drained in a days time.Not gonna happen again.
Old 17th July 2008, 14:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you have already decided on JBL, I will merely help you with you model choices.

GTO601 has been disconned. I would recommend the GTO7001 in its place. This was the monoblock in the Suzuki swift Evil twins.
Quote:
What would be the aproximate price of a 600 watt monoblock
The MRP of the 7001 is 20K
Any good true 600W mono amplifier would be in that price range.

Quote:
1.The gto 4000 has only 1 bridged outlet.Is it possible to power 2 300 watt subs through this amp?so then i would just buy a 2 ch amp to power the compos and the coaxials would run off the HU.
Incorrect. The GTO4000 was a 4 channel amplifier and you could have 2 bridged outputs from this amplifier. It may be possible to run two subwoofers off this amplifier but do not compare the result to a GTO7001.

If the 7001 is above your budget (which I suspect) and you are still looking for options in JBL - you have the GTO3501(13K) and the GT5-A3001(10K) but the 3001 in not sufficient to drive 2 powerful woofers (still better than using the GTO4000)

Instead of buying a small 2 channel amplifier, i would rather you would save up and buy a good monoblock and use you existing 4 channel amplifier to drive your speakers.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:17   #8
BHPian

People Thank you for all the advise.

But..

Ive been reading some threads on the site and was just wondering, even if i do upgrade to the 7001 will the battery be able to provide enough juice to power the 2 amps without any -ve reprecussions on either the battery or the amps.
I've got an Bosch battery which is about 6 mths old.(am totally happy with it till now.good quality)

Also suggestions for the layout would be appreciated.(dont care about boot space since the car is just used by me and my dog)
Old 18th July 2008, 15:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged_Piston View Post
Ive been reading some threads on the site and was just wondering, even if i do upgrade to the 7001 will the battery be able to provide enough juice to power the 2 amps without any -ve reprecussions on either the battery or the amps.
As long as you dont use the system without the engine running, there wont be any problems. With any high power system, the battery's life is however always shortened.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
With any high power system, the battery's life is however always shortened.
You mean battery life will shorten even if we use only when engine is running.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:27   #11
BHPian

Ok. I went to check out prices and other alternatives for the stuff mentioned above.Took a couple of friends along with me.They think ive gone mad and think what i want is way OTT.They said im out to blow up my zen.

I asked them to piss off.

Just to prove to them wrong could some of you please answer this question.

On a scale of 1-10(10 being the most OTT ice uve seen till date), How much would you rate what i currently have and what i intend to add.

Please guys help a fellow music lover prove these fools wrong..
Old 18th July 2008, 19:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

OTT varies from person to person what is OTT for me may just suffice for you. What you want is what "you" want as long as you are happy who cares what the others think.

I would not call any install OTT.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 18th July 2008 at 19:17.
Old 19th July 2008, 12:03   #13
BANNED

If you're going to follow this thread with some serious questions and take good advice from here, then I'm sure you'll end up with one of the best ICE systems you and your friends have ever seen/heard of.
Don't worry about the OTT thingws. It will always come and go!
Old 19th July 2008, 12:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Agree with zak & cooldude. Don't worry about your setup being OTT. Nothing ever is OTT till *you* feel so.

It would be nice if you could get component speakers in the front though. Just a pair of tweets won't let you enjoy the music.

After you finish you setup, feed your friends to the evil Zen's backseat at 90% volume. Make sure you lock the doors, roll-up the windows and keep the child-lock on.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:28   #15
BHPian

Thank you for the responses.
I had another question though,Is it possible to connect my Ipod directly to the amp using a two pin cable(the kind you use to connect your home dvd player to the amp or whatever). i tried doing this but the amp does not power up(the power lamp does not come on).I also checked all the fuses and every thing seems to be in order.
I asked a couple of car accessories shops and they said that it cant be done.and that i needed a hu to power up the amp.
I could not understand the logic behind this as the amp is directly connected to the battery and the only connection the HU has with the amp is the two wires connecting the preamp 'out' to the 'in' plugs on the amp.

Is it possible to power up the amp without a HU?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks