Team-BHP - Sony XM-ZR604 amp trips - cause for concern?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Sony XM-ZR604 amp trips - cause for concern? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/43084-sony-xm-zr604-amp-trips-cause-concern.html)

Hi everyone,

Config given below -
Pioneer panel
Sony XM-ZR604 4/3 channel amp (600 W)
JBL normal front speakers (not components)
JBL GTS - 963 rear speakers (70 W RMS / 210 W Peak / 4ohms)
JBL CS 1204T 1000W bass tube

The problem I'm facing is that after an hour of continuous operation at a volume of about about 40-45 (max 55 or 60), the amp heats up and starts tripping. Sound comes out only from the front speakers. I'd been advised by the dealer to switch off the deck and put it on after 2 minutes. But the problem still persists. Is there a problem or is this normal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Rishi

Your gains are probably too high, which is causing the amp to heat up and reach thermal shutdown. Reduce the gain on the amp and ensure your amp is well ventilated. Usually that should be all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishjt (Post 917853)
Hi everyone,
The problem I'm facing is that after an hour of continuous operation at a volume of about about 40-45 (max 55 or 60), the amp heats up and starts tripping...

Regards,
Rishi

Could you please post a picture of the amp install location. It may be so that the heat generated is not able to escape.
I had used the same amp earlier, never had similiar problems on high loads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir (Post 918185)
Your gains are probably too high, which is causing the amp to heat up and reach thermal shutdown. Reduce the gain on the amp and ensure your amp is well ventilated. Usually that should be all.

Thanks so much for writing in!
This may sound really dumb - but am not sure where is the option for reducing the gains? Through the HU or is it on the amp itself? Also, what should the ideal setting be for the HPF option? And I cannot see any option for configuring LPF - is that how it's supposed to be?

The amp is in the boot - has been screwed onto the back side of the rear seats.

Cheers,
Rishi

The amp gain control is found on the amp itself. Where is it installed ? in the boot or under the passenger seat ? Look for a volume control kind of knob, only this has to be done with a screw driver. 60 % should be adequate

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 918498)
The amp gain control is found on the amp itself. Where is it installed ? in the boot or under the passenger seat ? Look for a volume control kind of knob, only this has to be done with a screw driver. 60 % should be adequate

The amp is in the boot - has been screwed onto the back side of the rear seats. Also, what should the ideal setting be for the HPF option? And I cannot see any option for configuring LPF - is that how it's supposed to be?

Also make sure:

1. You are not running too low an impedance to the amps. Is all your gear running on the amp?

2. You are using adequate gauge and good quality power cabling.

3. The earthing location is a proper one, short cable not more that 18" and firmly secured to a paint and corrosion free point on the chassis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishjt (Post 918521)
The amp is in the boot - has been screwed onto the back side of the rear seats. Also, what should the ideal setting be for the HPF option? And I cannot see any option for configuring LPF - is that how it's supposed to be?

As far as I remember, there is no knob for configuring the HPF or LPF. If you turn the switches on, they are prconfigured to 80hz.

As I said earlier, make sure your amp is not connected facing down. Make sure that the gain is not more than 60% for the front and rear channels.
Check the power cable. It should be a a good 8GA cable. The ground cable should be 8GA as well. Check if the grounding cable is in good contact with the body of your car(there should be no paint layer in between).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishjt (Post 918477)
Thanks so much for writing in!
This may sound really dumb - but am not sure where is the option for reducing the gains? Through the HU or is it on the amp itself? Also, what should the ideal setting be for the HPF option? And I cannot see any option for configuring LPF - is that how it's supposed to be?

The amp is in the boot - has been screwed onto the back side of the rear seats.

Cheers,
Rishi

Rishi, I just checked the configuration of the amp on the Sony Site. It has only LPF. HPF is not there. And as I said, it is not configurable. It is preset to 80Hz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 918936)
Also make sure:

1. You are not running too low an impedance to the amps. Is all your gear running on the amp?

2. You are using adequate gauge and good quality power cabling.

3. The earthing location is a proper one, short cable not more that 18" and firmly secured to a paint and corrosion free point on the chassis.

Will have to check for points 2 and 3 with the guys who installed it (M.A Car Studio, Grant Road). As for point 1 - the amp is connected to my bass tube and my rear speakers. Guess the front speakers are powered by the HU. Does that sound ok (pardon my ignorance)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks (Post 919885)
Rishi, I just checked the configuration of the amp on the Sony Site. It has only LPF. HPF is not there. And as I said, it is not configurable. It is preset to 80Hz

XetaGLGRocks,

That's funny - coz there is a setting called HPF on my HU - options are 50, 60, 80, 100, 125 Hz .... dunno why this difference!

Also, what should be the ideal setting for the options under EQ - Q1N, Q1W, Q2N and Q2W?

Have attached a pic of the amp and the bass tube - hope they're identifiable in the pic (not too clear).

Cheers