Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 14:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Kindly suggest a good high end headunit.
Of course, the usual recommendations (P80, 9887 etc) hold valid but considering your setup I don't see much reason to upgrade the HU unless you want some specific features. Is there anything specific that you want over what your current HU provides?
Old 19th August 2008, 14:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I am planning to change the headunit; hence your suggestions required and also the front components to Illusion Electras and rear 6X9s to Illusions 3-way 6X9s. Will also get rid of the bass tube and upgrade to 12" Ground Zero sub in an enclosure.
Don't look any beyond a Pioneer P80 or an Alpine 9887. Anything more than these two will be overkill.

Either of the above two, or any other decent Alpine will exhibit tangible improvement in sound quality over the Pioneer 6950 for both - (a) the existing system and (2) the system you are planning

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 19th August 2008 at 14:38.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:50   #18
nitin.dangayach

I think we still did not get the answer. "What" separates a High end HU from NOT SO High End HU (Other than the price tag) ?

Old 19th August 2008, 15:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
I think we still did not get the answer. "What" separates a High end HU from NOT SO High End HU (Other than the price tag) ?
IMHO below are some of the features that may distinguish a high end HU from a not so high end HU...

Time Alignment
Xover options
Equalizer options - Parametric or Graphic or none
DAC
Pre-out voltage

These are just indicators, a HU may have all these features and still be crap and some others may not have these features and still work great. There is a lot in terms of reputation as well.
Old 19th August 2008, 15:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

if its just for the sound quality then i have had this crazy idea for a while now. please dont shower the brick bats please, just voice your opinions.

why not get a processor, i mean an equalizer, say from alpine or any of the higher end stuff you gurus suggest and use that with a IPOD?

the ipod will be the hu with multi splitting rca cords, give the input to the processor, and all the gains can be controlled from there.

would this help for a better SQ?
or is this idea just crazy, and all the money is better spent on a highend HU?
Old 19th August 2008, 15:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ akbaree, you forgot the most important element. SQ

@ rider60, the Ipod DAC isnt the best there is , and coupled with the fact that it passes through a headphone amp means loss of quality.
On the other hand , connecting the ipod via digital to a processor would be a better idea, thats what the newer alpine idA-X series do

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th August 2008 at 16:09.
Old 19th August 2008, 16:10   #22
BHPian

I replaced my Pioneer 6950 a few months back with an Alpine 9887 and everything else the same (Kicker Front & rears, no amp). I was really struck by the change in SQ.
But my biggest weakness are the speakers and a change is long overdue.
Now that I am in Bangalore I hope to have better accessibility in terms of choice.

I suggest a change of HU to high end will do a lot of good.
Old 19th August 2008, 16:21   #23
nitin.dangayach

@greeny

Man youi are telling about the DACs. My HU has built in Texas Instruments/ BUrr Brown DACs and have 3 pre amp outs (3.5V).
Can I consider my HU as high end ?

Old 19th August 2008, 16:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ akbaree, you forgot the most important element. SQ
I may be wrong but I thought DAC is for SQ.

Gurus can add more.
@navin, please enlighten us as before a sound signals goes thru a sound precessor like 24 bit DAC, is there a mystery in just reading the signal from an audio CD? Can high end HU (or HU that claim great SQ) do this very differently from other HU?

Last edited by akbaree : 19th August 2008 at 16:58.
Old 19th August 2008, 21:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
@greeny

Man youi are telling about the DACs. My HU has built in Texas Instruments/ BUrr Brown DACs and have 3 pre amp outs (3.5V).
Can I consider my HU as high end ?
Well today even a 5K Kenwood HU has 24bit DAC. It's sort of become par for the course. But thats no guarantee it's going to sound better than an HU with a 1bit DAC. Its like a sign in a restaurant "We cook in pure Desi Ghee" which may be very nice declaration to quality standard but still means nothing if the cook doesn't know how to cook properly.

Hmmm... I guess it's time for dinner.
Old 20th August 2008, 01:05   #26
BHPian

Hmm, it is interesting that people asking the difference between a high end HU and a low wnd HU other than price. Let me ask a qn - what is the difference between a bmw 3 series and a Tata Indigo (5-6 times lesser price)? As you can guess it is the quality of components used, the engineering, the build etc. Switch to a good high end HU from a reputed brand and there will be a difference in quality for sure. But assessing the quality of sound needs some practise, not easy as differentiating between the ride quality of a 3 series and an indigo. Many people think, its just sound - both play music, whats the hell. But those who enjoy / listens and dedicate to the world of audio, can feel the difference exactly same as any other products in high and low ends, like a beemer and tata. But it is not always true that only those labelled high end plays good. some of the mid-fi systems can match high ends in pure SQ though not in features. The main thing is to develop the skill to feel the difference . It needs lot of patience, auditions, chance to hear various brands/setups and finally know your music well.

Last edited by redfire : 20th August 2008 at 01:11.
Old 20th August 2008, 01:56   #27
BHPian

pioneer also has a premium range called premier, dont know if they are available in india yet
Old 20th August 2008, 02:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Hmm, it is interesting that people asking the difference between a high end HU and a low wnd HU other than price. Let me ask a qn - what is the difference between a bmw 3 series and a Tata Indigo (5-6 times lesser price)? As you can guess it is the quality of components used, the engineering, the build etc. Switch to a good high end HU from a reputed brand and there will be a difference in quality for sure. But assessing the quality of sound needs some practise, not easy as differentiating between the ride quality of a 3 series and an indigo. Many people think, its just sound - both play music, whats the hell. But those who enjoy / listens and dedicate to the world of audio, can feel the difference exactly same as any other products in high and low ends, like a beemer and tata. But it is not always true that only those labelled high end plays good. some of the mid-fi systems can match high ends in pure SQ though not in features. The main thing is to develop the skill to feel the difference . It needs lot of patience, auditions, chance to hear various brands/setups and finally know your music well.
dude you know what? no offence here,

unlike the audio section the cars are available for the test drives!!!. and the models do not always mean different engines or bodies.

and there are way too many options available in the ICE, different HUs with different amps and different speakers and i dont think one person would be crazy enough to buy them all and do the various permutations and combinations and then decide what really goes in the car.

this is the whole reason for asking various people's opinions! and the results get too interesting to missout!
Old 20th August 2008, 08:03   #29
BHPian

It matters to pay more for high end HU.

I think there is a certain difference, but as gunbir pointed out "they must know how to cook properly".

If you ask in bits and pieces then useful features, use of latest technology, design and execution matters.
  • useful feature - user interfaces, interconnects with other devices and various utilities which all working with guarantee.
  • use of latest technology - provide good CD drive with low error rate and good error correction while reading disks, DAC with latest available bit rate processing. USB streaming, digital input/output etc.
  • Design - it matters with placement of all modules properly inside and with all due safety and precaution ( I can say protection from electric/mechanical hazards). Circuit layout + proper components selection matters. CHALTA HAI kind of attitute kiils here.
  • execution - how they build it? e.g. simple resistor cost from 20 paise to Rs 4 each. That matters if you put part with 1% tolerance or 10% tolerance. SMD is best but requires techology to use it. Even I have seen quality of PCB does effect in case of stray noise ( more precisely distortion in sound). RCA connect - plain v/s gold plated ones.
After this you can expect the difference from SOUND, SQ and SPL. Again SQ and SPL depends on other factors - ambient, speakers, wires and layout in car. Definitely Garbage IN = Garbage Out

So you get what you pay for! By their experience GURUS here keep telling which one to use or avoid ( depends on budget)

Last edited by omishra : 20th August 2008 at 08:06.
Old 20th August 2008, 09:01   #30
BHPian

so, High End Head units does make a difference, Aint it???I thought its all on the speakers and the Amps..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks