Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:40   #1
BHPian

ICE'ing my Corolla

I was looking at an ICE upgrade for my Corolla. What I wanted was simple.....good quality SQ. I am clear that blaring audio is something i don't want.

In the quest for better audio solutions I started looking at the different products available in the market. After a lot of reading on the forum and that extra nudge from Mahendra aka Nitrous (Thanks pal) I picked up the GTO 75.4 Amp. I was actually planning to make my purchase early next month but I was afraid the dealers here would run out of stock and so I jumped the gun.

Now I cannot afford to fork out all the cash for the ICE at once so I am going to do this in stages. I need help choosing the right equipment and the proper stages of the installation.

Head Unit : Stock HU is a 6CD changer that does not support MP3s. I was looking at replacing this with a 2DIN system. The confusion is whether I need a 2DIN touch screen DVD system or a 2DIN MP3 system. Most of my running after about a month or so should be restricted to around 20 kms of city driving a day. There are times I'l have to travel long distances but its not going to be too often. In my opinion cars like the Corolla look good only with a 2DIN player. Single DIN looks barely sufficient to fill the mammoth dash in these cars. I was interested in the JVC KW-AVX810. Quoted price was Rs.21k w/o bill or warranty. Other than the price this unit is amazing.

Amp : As mentioned earlier we will stick to the JBL GTO 75.4 Amp with the front channels powering components in the front and the rear channels powering the Sub-Woofer.

Front Speakers : I am quite clueless when it comes to components. All I know is I don't want ANY cutting work to be done. Which mean I am looking at components which will fit straight into the OE speaker locations including the tweeters. I guess we should be looking at 6.5" Components from JBL or Polk.

Rear Speakers : Any good 6 X 9 should do. I was leaning towards the JBL GTO938. Then again we also have Polk Audio to consider.

Sub Woofer : I was hoping we can install a loaded enclosure sub instead of installing a sub in a custom made box. This is purely because I think the finish on the pre made boxes are SOOO much better. I am clueless when it comes to which SUB or enclosure.
I wish I could take my car to Bangalore to get the whole thing installed by Satya (Blueraven), but I don't think that is possible. Anyway will have to look out for good installers locally.

My budget for the speaker + woofer + wiring + install should be under Rs.17K. HU i was thinking Rs.20k. I know the ICE section is notorious for stretching budgets but guys not this time!! I really am maxxed out here!! The only I can do is skimm down my expense on the HU which I can add on the the speakers.

As i have mentioned earlier I need to know how we can carry this out stage by stage. I have picked up the Amp already. So what should logically be my next purchase? HU? Speakers? My next purchase would be somewhere around 2nd week of next month. And the final purchase made by the end of next month of 1st week of October.

Please Advice.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the stock HU has Pre-outs, then the logical next step is to wire the amp and get components for the front.

If not, you will have to change the HU first (use the amp later). There are a couple of alternatives, if you don't want the 7" screen in the 2DIN HU. Check out the other thread where they are discussing a Pioneer 2DIN for 12K.

Making this tradeoff will permit you to think of a higher grade of components. Since you want finished sub box, you could also think of the Infinity subs.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

21k for the JVC KW-AVX810 is a steal. Go to Technocrat, mahalingapuram for your install. all the best.
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:56   #4
BHPian

@DerAlte : I'm really confused about the 7" screen in the 2 DIN HU. I think it looks really good but I wonder how much I'l really be using it. I will have to make up my mind about that. Aren't Infinity Subs really expensive. I was thinking along the JBL 12" Sub range.

@E_L : Really? I thought that was the going price. I got these prices from Galaxy Audio on G P Road.

Guys, I need some help choosing the Sub, Rears and Components.......Help!!
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

We could start off by first using the current equipment in the car and slowly go about replacing each component one by one based on the criticality.

We could first wire the amp and power the Toyota speakers using the amp by taking the "speaker level inputs" from the HU.
Also, you could add a subwoofer to the current setup. We could choose the sub from JBL's GT5 or GTO , Polk or Infinity.
For Speaker choice, you should try out different brands and models. You can audition Illusion electras in my car, JBL GTOs in praveen_v's fiesta, Infinity in Harmon_Bro's, Hertz in Raxx's swift and so.
Old 23rd August 2008, 16:05   #6
BANNED

I too suggest you to get the speakers first. Yep, I mean components. If you like Jbl's signature sound, then stick with them. They're good VFM too.
Another good options are Illusion audio and Bull audio.

Let me be very frank and say that Video on the move is not more worth than having some good music on the move.
Old 24th August 2008, 11:23   #7
BHPian

@Nitrous - Are you sure the Toyota Speakers can handle the output rating of the Amp?? I don't have any specifications of the speakers in the car. I'm just guessing.

I would love to audition the other brands before I jump the gun. Just tell me when. I can't wait to get the Amp loaded in my car. But I should probably not be rushing into this.

@Speedzak - I've not heard to too many brands of car audio in the market to comment if JBL is what I want. I have predominantly heard to JBL, Sony and Pioneer so as you can imagine I think JBL really cuts it when it comes to VFM.

When it comes to HU you say I'd rather invest that extra 10k in the speaker setup than blow it on the HU. Ok. Will give it a thought.

Can someone explain to me whats the difference between a Band pass enclosure and a Bass reflex enclosure with reference to SubWoofers?? And how much would basic sound dampening for the car cost?? I don't think my setup requires any major sound deadening.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:27   #8
BHPian

BUMP!!! This thread could use some attention I think Guys please give me your valuble inputs.
Old 9th September 2008, 15:41   #9
BHPian

OK!! Since everyone decided NOT to help me I ventured out on my own and got the setup installed. Many thanks to Nitrous (Mahendra) and Bluraven (Satya) for making this happen.

The installation was done in Bangalore at Satya's place. I auditioned the setup in Satya's car and once he got a sketch of what I wanted along with my budget he started work. Really neat job! I felt so much at peace knowing Satya was doing the work. I wasn't there for when most of the work was done but when I came back I could see neat wiring and a well insulated boot. I have to order my Dashkit from Toyota. Right now there are gaps on either side of the HU. Should have that sorted by next week.

I had purchased the Amp and HU from Chennai. Unfortunately the Amp refused to work when we nstalled it. I got that replaced yesterday afternoon and the sound is phenomenal!! People at JBL really knew what they were doing when they made the 75.4!!

There is still some tuning left. I guess someone from Chennai will have to help me with that. Even otherwise Satya has promised to give me phone support.

Final setup goes like this -

HU - JVC KW-AVX800
AMP - JBL 75.4
Front - Boston Acoustics S60 6.5" Components
Rear - JBL 963 6" X 9" Ovals
Sub - JBL CS1204 1000W 12" Sub

Since I didn't want anything too bright up front I was suggested to stick with Boston Acoustics Components and not JBL as they are a lot brighter even the new JBL 608C.

The only thing I am not too sure about is the RCA cables. Candence is what is says on the cable. Its a rather thin ungainly looking thing. But then again I have no alternator whine and music sounds quite crisp so I think thats alright.

There is just one complaint I have. The high fabric seats in the car had a couple of dirt stains on them in certain places after the job was done. Not a big deal but I think maybe they can cover the seat with a cloth to avoid this problem.

The whole deal costed me close to Rs.50k. I don't yet know if that money well spent but hey.....I'm happy so to hell with VFM!!

Last edited by flipsyde : 9th September 2008 at 15:45.
Old 9th September 2008, 18:18   #10
BHPian

@flipsyde - Can you please post some pics of the installation? I do have plans to do some ICE upgrade on my Corolla too but thats after the Vitamin M is taken care of

Regards
Old 9th September 2008, 18:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Flipsyde nice equipment you have there. Does the 50k include the cost of the amp ? (asking since you said it was bought earlier)
Individual prices would be appreciated.
Can you post some install pics please ?

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 9th September 2008 at 18:23.
Old 9th September 2008, 19:31   #12
BHPian

@Cooldude, Carbaliga : I'm sorry guys I don't have any pics of the installation. I can however give you the pictures post completion. I am just waiting for the 2DIN dash kit to arrive. After that its Photo-Shoot time.

The price is all inclusive (yes, even the amp).

Carbaliga, I suggest you keep a budget in mind before you venture out. I took about a month to get my funds ready and do my research. Lucky for you Satya is in the same town. Drop by his shop when you think you are ready.
Old 9th September 2008, 22:59   #13
BHPian

congrats @ flipsyde for your setup and even better that you are really satisfied with it.

btw a break up of the price for the equipment would really help

cheers
Old 10th September 2008, 01:05   #14
BHPian

As requested, here are the prices -

JVC KW-AVX800 - 23000
JBL GTO 75.4 - 8300
Boston Acoustics S60 6.5" Front Components - 6000
JBL GT5-963 6" X 9" Rear Co-Axials - 2500
JBL CS1204 12" Sub Woofer -2500
Wiring Kit - 2200
Sub-Woofer Box - 1500
Fitting and Sound Insulation - 1100
Sub-Woofer Grill - 400
Toyota Wiring Harness - 150
Amplifier Fitment Charge - 200
Toyota 2DIN Dash Kit - 1500
Old 11th September 2008, 16:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
I am just waiting for the 2DIN dash kit to arrive. After that its Photo-Shoot time.
What do you mean when you say a new dash-kit? Are you going to replace the existing dash kit with a new one or retain the existing one and get a filler from TKM? As far as I know TKM doesn't make filler units for the Corolla.

I wouldn't suggest the first option since the 2DIN dash kit you get from TKM is black in color and it doesn't fit properly. It keeps popping out when you go over rough roads. Also it would make your dash look little ugly. There are custom made filler's available for the Corolla and this would allow you to retain your OE dash kit.

It is in fact available for sale in TBHP Marketplace. I recently bought one for my Corolla.

- Novice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks