Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 14:59   #1
BHPian

In Dash GPS/Audio Receiver

Hi Guys,

Well there are a lot of in car CD receivers out there in the market, each with a differnet feature set. Some have Ipod connectivity, some have 13 band G. equilizers, some have color screens etc. etc. etc.

I am basically tired of trying to use my phone as a GPS device, and would not like to get a 3.5 inch screen with map my india on it as I am a bit worried about it being misused during valet parking etc.

I was wondering id there is a single 1 din system with a GPS module built it, which would have everything that map my india has, but wiht a smaller screen, which would help as I would then have to take out only the front panel of this system to make sure that it is not tampered with. I have personally seen a soundstream 1 DIN system with a small screen, but does that work with the GPS systems currently usable in India?
Old 4th September 2008, 17:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Find out if this system has a video in. IF it has, take the video out from your phone to this unit (that is if you have a video out. Nokia 6210 has).
Old 4th September 2008, 17:29   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the reply, but is there any system which is compatible with mapmyindia or satnav?
Old 4th September 2008, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, you can use mapmyindia or satnav with any compatible GPS devices. But what i was suggesting was to get a 1 din DVD system which has a 3.5" screen & give the video out from your phone to this system.

I am looking at something like this
Attached Thumbnails
In Dash GPS/Audio Receiver-dnx5120.jpg  

Last edited by esteem_lover : 4th September 2008 at 17:41.
Old 4th September 2008, 17:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nope. Mapmyindia supplies a windows CE.net device. There is no other "in dash" product available for India as yet.

For India, Only "in Dash" option is to install a Car PC and use maps from satguide.in using software like Centrafuse and mapmonkey or Satguide's own PC software (But I have heard Satguide's PC software has some wierd ip address based usage restrictions).

Mind you, you still wont be able to use the mapmyindia maps on a PC, because there isnt any PC application which support mapmyindia maps.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:50   #6
BHPian

Looks like nothing will work as of now. I am currently using a e71 and video out is not an option.. Lets see maybe we should revist this in a years time.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:04   #7

Hi. I believe garmin has india maps that will work on most internationally available GPS units like (obviously) garmin, tomtom, and a few others though I have heard the indian maps currently are nothing to write home about.
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:27   #8
BHPian

Yup, the indian maps on Gramin are currently pretty bad, secondly the gramin system in india is quite expensive, you can get a blaupunkt system if you want a screen. but my question is can we get an indash, 1 din system with a screen and gps. That would be rocking.
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Yup, the indian maps on Gramin are currently pretty bad, secondly the gramin system in india is quite expensive, you can get a blaupunkt system if you want a screen. but my question is can we get an indash, 1 din system with a screen and gps. That would be rocking.
Are you looking at a system with in built screen or a separate screen ?

If separate screen is ok, get a DVD player & a screen, hook your Nokia GPS enabled phone to the video input in your DVD player. This is the simplest I know of.
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer Avic N3 has the facility of GPS on screen and is a single DIN.
My dream to get this HU,but not sure if its DVD region 1 or 2
Attached Images
File Type: bmp avicn3.bmp (926.4 KB, 1240 views)
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Pioneer Avic N3 has the facility of GPS on screen and is a single DIN.
My dream to get this HU,but not sure if its DVD region 1 or 2
I think you'll have problem sourcing India specific maps for the GPS unit.

However, Blapunkt have supposedly launched an In Dash GPS system specifically for India in collaboration with mapmyindia -> Blaupunkt's new range of GPS systems for India- Auto-Specials-The Economic Times

EDIT: Mistaken, Blapunkt doesnt seem to be an indash unit. Pretty lame unit too!!

Last edited by spadival : 3rd October 2008 at 14:51.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:56   #12

Hi all,
I have bought a double DIN system that is compatible with all garmin and Tomtom maps. Also, i went for the double DIn as once open, the single DIn would probably open over the AC vents, making it a very ' cool' system. I bought mine from ebay for USD $400, and have been assuder of their compatibility with garmin. Also, my unit has a Sirf III chip, which is the same as the mapmyindia and satnav.

So...hoping for the best.

And there is somebody who is selling the garmin xt india map on ebay india, though i would prefer the mapmyindia or sat nav maps.

Feature:
  • 16:9 high definition screen , Fully motorized 7 inch TFT liquid crystal display (LCD)
  • Touch Screen
  • Built-in GPS/Bluetooth with Microphone
  • With built-in USB SD port
  • Built-in DVD/VCD/CD/AV/TV/FM/AM/USB Player
  • TV System: PAL/NTSC
  • Built-in FM/AM Radio
  • Screen is Fully Motorized
  • OSD Menu Language: English, Chinese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Latin
    Audio/Subtitle Language: English, Chinese, Spanish, French, Portuguese and German
  • Double Din screen angle adjustment
  • Built-in 4x45W Amplifier
  • 2 AV Output (3 Zone)
  • 2 AV Input
  • GPS Input
  • CD/DVD Changer Interface
  • Reverse Car Camera Input
  • The four antenna interfaces of TV make you watch the quality stable television picture in the driving car.
  • Picture adjustment (brightness, contrast, colour, dimmer settings)
  • Dimensions: 178x 100 x 185mm (WxHxD)

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2008 at 11:30. Reason: Font tags
Old 6th October 2008, 12:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

pranaviyer,
what was the make of this 2 din system? Is it new or used?
how much did you pay for shipping cost to india?
i found a similar 6month used system on ebay for 175USD. (although i'm always scared of buying things online).
-Tejas
Old 6th October 2008, 12:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranaviyer View Post
Hi all,
I have bought a double DIN system that is compatible with all garmin and Tomtom maps. Also, i went for the double DIn as once open, the single DIn would probably open over the AC vents, making it a very ' cool' system. I bought mine from ebay for USD $400, and have been assuder of their compatibility with garmin. Also, my unit has a Sirf III chip, which is the same as the mapmyindia and satnav.
I would say for 400 USD it ain't a bad deal supposingly it aint a Chinese or Taiwanese product. Which make it is by the way ?
Old 6th October 2008, 12:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

pranav, the pic posted by you does not appear on the post. Please mention make, model number. This sounds too good to be true for a branded product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks