Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 00:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

[quote=akbaree;974668
Apart from the installation and XO challenges, what are other Pros and Cons for 2 way and 3 way component systems.[/QUOTE]

Pros: better reproduction of critical midrange
Cons: management of crossover is more complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I had tried the Passive way and the Active way.
try this. Active between bass driver but passive between mid and tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
You will find many two way sets that excel in midbass, but lack potency in the midrange band.
it is quite normal. a 6" that goes from 60Hz to 3kHz is not going to be as accurate in the midrange as a 4" midrange (and I do not mean midbass, I mean midrange - a midrange specifc driver is not capable of reproducing much below 300Hz).
Old 14th September 2008, 01:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
try this. Active between bass driver but passive between mid and tweeter
Yup, a semi active setup can sound quite good with little effort.
Old 14th September 2008, 12:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

it is quite normal. a 6" that goes from 60Hz to 3kHz is not going to be as accurate in the midrange as a 4" midrange (and I do not mean midbass, I mean midrange - a midrange specifc driver is not capable of reproducing much below 300Hz).
Yes Navin Ji was running the DLS that way untill I had a 4 channel amp. The Mid bass was running active and the mid range and the tweeter was passive.

I think it was the easisest to tune. Earlier it was running full passive but at 290 watts, then later semi active/passive with 160 watts each side. And then finally ful active with 80 watts in tweeter and mid range and 155 to the midbass.

If we compare the output the best was the active one but the best to tune was the semi active/passive one.
Old 14th September 2008, 21:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yup, a semi active setup can sound quite good with little effort.
it all depends on the XO freq. and drivers used. I would even suggest pushing the envelope and using a series XO between the mid and tweeter (esp if they are very close together and can tolerate a 1st order XO). another option for XOing the mid and tweeter is a PLLXO.

Last edited by navin : 14th September 2008 at 21:57.
Old 15th September 2008, 08:39   #20
BHPian

How would a 3 way, with the mid bass in the rear, midrange & tweeter in front sound?

Would a sub still be needed?
Old 15th September 2008, 09:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_ranjan View Post
I am not an Audio expert, but I came across this site, you can see if it can be of any help:
Component Speakers vs 2-way/3-way Speakers Which is better?
a piece of info from the above link:
Quote:
Personally, what we choose is based on install space, budget, and level of sound quality we wish to achieve. A good 3-way system for car audio makes sense in a larger vehicle. Installing the midrange and tweets in front stage, midbass in rear doors or panels can sound great and well balanced. Add a sub and viola... you have it all. A true 4-way full range system.
Can comments on this set???

Quote:
In a 2 way setup the speaker designer has to make some compromises. He has to choose between low bass (under 80Hz) capability and midrange.....
Let us say we get a 2 way setup with good midrange(300 to 5k), high(5k to 20k) for the front sound stage. Can we have a pair of 8" woofer for 30 to 300Hz(are these available here??) for the rear. Will this be a good set-up???

If such a set-up is possible, then does it solve this problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Then of course, there is the matter of the availability of 3-way comp systems. Or the availability of a HU that can do 3-way or 4-way active, and the necessary channels of amplification.

PS: excuse me for any mistakes, as I am completely a noob regarding the ICE.
Old 15th September 2008, 09:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
How would a 3 way, with the mid bass in the rear, midrange & tweeter in front sound?

Would a sub still be needed?
I would not recommend having the driver seperated by a distance that is more than the wavelength of their crossover frequency. so that mean if your midrange operates from 300Hz to 3k the center to center distance between your woofer and midbass should be less than 1m (340/300) and the (c-c) distance between your midrange and tweeter be less than 10cm (340/3000).
Old 15th September 2008, 12:16   #23
BHPian

Almost all the questions that I had in my mind have been answered. Thanks to the gurus - Navin, Gunbir, and LBM. Thanks to Hydra and LBM to share their first hand experiences on SQ, installation, and challenges.

If and when I decide to upgrade my ICE setup to a three way one, I will come asking for more suggestions on brands, acoustics, etc.

I have one more question though - if your HU has only 3 way active capability, how can we have a 4 way active set up (3 way front stage and a sub). Is it possible?
Old 15th September 2008, 13:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
it all depends on the XO freq. and drivers used. I would even suggest pushing the envelope and using a series XO between the mid and tweeter (esp if they are very close together and can tolerate a 1st order XO). another option for XOing the mid and tweeter is a PLLXO.
Please elaborate - series XO and PLLXO
Old 15th September 2008, 16:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I have one more question though - if your HU has only 3 way active capability, how can we have a 4 way active set up (3 way front stage and a sub). Is it possible?
Yes it can be done but in that you will have to run two drivers passive. Like I was doing to run the midrange and the tweeter passive and the midbass and the sub active.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post

Please elaborate - series XO and PLLXO
XO is the normal crossover we get in a component kit...About PLLXO..it is
Passive Line Level Crossover Network

XM46 Passive Line Level Crossover Network, PLLXO, 24 dB/oct
Old 15th September 2008, 16:39   #27
BHPian

LBhiM..

navin mentioned something about using a "series xover" which I assume 1st order xover (i.e. it has a 6db slope) suitable for a situation in which the tweeter and midrange driver are close to each other.. I am in the same situation (tweeter and midrange will be next to each other).. The equipment has come, just waiting to get an appointment with the installer, probably next week..
I want to evaluate as many possibilities as far as x-over is concerned as I can and hence I need the details..

I'd also like to understand the details of a PLLXO in simpler terms than what is written in the link you've given..

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but here are the options I have in mind.

Amplifier: Audison SRx5
HU: Alpine 9853
Mid-Bass: Illusion Audio Electra 6.5"
Midrange: 4" driver
Tweeter: Illusion Audio Elecrta 1" Aluminium Dome tweeter.

First Option:
The Audison has a 3-way option in which I can use its onboard electronic x-over for midbass X midhi and then use the Illusion Audio Passive x-over for Midrange X Tweeter.

Second option:
Use the HU's x-over in 3-way mode for midbass X midhi and the Illusion Audio Passive X-over for midrange X tweeter

Third Option:
Use the Audison for Midrange X Tweeter which runs on the Front RCA output and use a dedicated 2channel amp for the midbass crossed on the HU XO

Last edited by shrivz : 15th September 2008 at 16:57.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Forgot one detail:

The midrange and tweeter will be mounted on the dashboard on axis..
Old 15th September 2008, 17:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Forgot one detail:

The midrange and tweeter will be mounted on the dashboard on axis..
We sit in the car facing the dashboard. With this, can midrange and tweeter be on axis? If I am asking something stupid, please pardon my ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Yes it can be done but in that you will have to run two drivers passive. Like I was doing to run the midrange and the tweeter passive and the midbass and the sub active.
Which essentially means, I cannot have a true 4 way active setup if my HU has only a 3 way option.

Last edited by akbaree : 15th September 2008 at 17:32.
Old 15th September 2008, 18:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
We sit in the car facing the dashboard. With this, can midrange and tweeter be on axis? If I am asking something stupid, please pardon my ignorance.
It will be sitting on the dashboard facing the listner..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks