Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2008, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Suggestion required for a good head unit

I am looking for a head unit to replace the crappy one provided by Maruti for my SX4 . I have already replaced the stock speakers with :

Front Speakers : JBL 607c
Rear Speakers : JBL 637
Amplifier : JBL 100.4
Sub : JBL GT5 enclosure (dont remember the model number)

And since the stock head unit has only a single pre out , i have a scosche line out converter for the same . But as i pointed out in an earlier thread , there is this weird "hissing sound" which never stops . And not really impressed with the output too . My friends system with the same set of speakers but with a smaller amp i.e. JBL 60.4 and a JBL bass tube + JBL fake wiring kit sounds better than my setup (HU being a JVC dual din dvd player) . So i feel that there is a problem with the head unit itself . So am basically looking for an upgrade .

Saved quite a lot of money , so can someone kindly suggest me a good head unit ? I am still a student but saved up close to 25k for the same . I am primarily looking for a quality listening experience . Read quite a lot of rave reviews for Alpine 9887 and Pioneer p80(if i am not wrong) .So i also wanted to know if the the steep difference in pricing (HUs for 7-8k exist too) can actually justify in terms of quality . I could certainly use the difference for a lot of other things .

And finally one last question . How much does the Scosche Kit cost for the fascia plate ?(Remember SX4 has a HU which is not of a standard dual din size) .

And suggestion for a good installer in hyd would be really helpful as well .
Thanx guys
Old 14th September 2008, 16:28   #2
BHPian

Someone ?? Alloo ... Alloooo
Old 14th September 2008, 17:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go in for a Pioneer 5050UB or the Pioneer 6050,it will sound great

Ramie
Old 14th September 2008, 22:51   #4
BHPian

and how much would it cost mate ? dont mind spending upto 25k but just wanna be sure that there is perceivable difference in the sound quality over the ones costing less
Old 15th September 2008, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
there is this weird "hissing sound" which never stops
Hmmm.. I know why it is so.

Your OEM HU has lot more level of noise floor (constant hiss + ( little engine whine too) - independant of volume control) and SNR improves after audio level 15. So after putting sensitive amp it is amplified to huge levels. This I am claiming because I was experimenting with it last month.

To get around this, I simply decreased input at my amp to 1/4. So noise is decreased 1/4. Now it is almost gone. but I have to crank up HU volume level from 15 - upwards. Till 15 audio level is low and useful only when engine is off.

Don't worry if you have to keep volume little up at HU. Because still it increases logarithmically and very loud and clear between 30-45. Above level 30 and upwards its greater than normal listening levels of my family. So far no need to reach upto 50.

That my 2 paisa!

Last edited by omishra : 15th September 2008 at 11:01.

Most Viewed