Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Simple ICE for Baleno

Hi guys

the current set up in my baleno is as follows:
6X9 ovals in the rear, 5" co-axials in the front, and a pioneer HU (Basic model, 2050 mpg)

I want to simplify it even further, and
1. remove the rear speakers, (I feel the co-ax's in the rear interfere with the front sound-stage)
2. add a pair of 2-way front components, powered off the HU.

Dont want to spend on an amp or a subwoofer right now. Any further upgrades will have to wait for a year.

I listen to a wide range of music, 70's rock, Pop from the 80's and 90's, ambient and electronica.

I need some suggestions on which component speakers to use.
They should have a good, neutral sound, and should be able to deliver the full range sound that is needed. They obviously should be sensitive enough to be driven off the HU. The components will be put in the stock locations, so 6.5" is the limit. I will also need to be able to demo them in Mumbai. Budget upto 10k.

I know this is a very rigid spec list, however I have spent a lot of time in trying to find a set up which will suit me, and this seems to be it! I understand that I will have to compromise in terms of frequency extention at the extremes, but am fine with that.

looking forward to your inputs!

Cheers

Silver Baleno
Old 16th September 2008, 17:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

With a budget of 10K, and given your criteria, I'd have gone for
- A component set within 5K
- A 2 channel Blau/JBL Amp 3 to 3.5K
- Wiring install 1K
- Front door damping 1-1.5K

Chances are you'll probably get better results than a 10K component set driven off a basic HU.

Last edited by shuvc : 16th September 2008 at 17:02.
Old 16th September 2008, 19:51   #3
BHPian

Re:

Hi Shuvc

what i am looking for is a pair of 2 way components which are of a high sensitivity, and deliver good sound without any external amplification.

I like to keep my audio equipment simple, don't know if it is possible in car audio, but want to try!
Old 16th September 2008, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

How about BULL-audio? Don't go by the name, recently a few people have provided rave reviews about their SQ and VFM factors. Moreover, if I remember correctly, one of the reviewer had driven components out of HU without using any amp. You may want to search a bit!
Old 16th September 2008, 21:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what i am looking for is a pair of 2 way components which are of a high sensitivity, and deliver good sound without any external amplification.
Easy. JBL GTO series!
Old 16th September 2008, 22:26   #6
BHPian

The newer GTO series somehow don't sound very nice..

Audition Bull Audio if you can.. I've just heard about them..

Illusion Audio is my personal favourite, the EL6.1 components have high sensitivity (91db) and can be well driven off the Headunit.

Since you have a higher budget, you might also want to audition Rockford Fosgate, I pretty much like their sonic signature, don't know about their sensitivity and price..

Alongwith changing your speakers, I'd advise you change your speaker cables, they will definitely improve the sound even tho you aren't using an amplifier..
Just make sure that you have a good installer who solders well, you might also want to consider running better power cables from your battery to the HU.. trust me, you will be able to hear the difference..

Last edited by shrivz : 16th September 2008 at 22:27.
Old 17th September 2008, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the responses..

Nitrous - from my experience the speakers you mentioned work best with good amplification.

Santosh S - thanks for the advice, will def look into bull audio..any idea where I can get a demo in Mumbai?

SHrivc - will auditon the illusions, and will take ur advice abt the install,thanks pal!

any idea if bull audio / illusions can be bi-amped?.. ie. can we power the tweeters off the front channel of the HU, and the midbass off the rear channels, while still using the passive XO of the components?
(I know this is not exactly bi-amping, coz they will both be running of the HU's power supply :-) - but the speakers will get more juice this way! I remember reading a thread on team-bhp abt an install in a ferrari :-) that was done this way, will search for it.. if anyone has access to a similar install, plz let me know!
Old 17th September 2008, 15:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
With a budget of 10K, and given your criteria, I'd have gone for
- A component set within 5K
- A 2 channel Blau/JBL Amp 3 to 3.5K
- Wiring install 1K
- Front door damping 1-1.5K

Chances are you'll probably get better results than a 10K component set driven off a basic HU.
Hi! Silver!! i agree with shuvc!! and hence, would suggest you the same.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
any idea if bull audio / illusions can be bi-amped?.. ie. can we power the tweeters off the front channel of the HU, and the midbass off the rear channels, while still using the passive XO of the components?
(I know this is not exactly bi-amping, coz they will both be running of the HU's power supply :-) - but the speakers will get more juice this way! I remember reading a thread on team-bhp abt an install in a ferrari :-) that was done this way, will search for it.. if anyone has access to a similar install, plz let me know!
You will need a pair of passive x-overs for each channel! i.e. 4 passive x-overs in all..

If you're willing to do so much, I honestly think its a simpler option to go in for a decent 2channel amplifier instead of doing all this khichdi!
Old 17th September 2008, 19:23   #10
BHPian

Hey SHrivz

some x-overs allow you the option of bi-amping, ie giving a seperate input for the mid-bass and the tweeters. bi-amping is fairly common in home audio.

anyways, found a set-up in which this has been done, check out the link below for details:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound...install-2.html

now to find out if this can be done with the illusions electras or the bulls.

Any one know of any other such set-ups, let me know

cheers!
Old 17th September 2008, 20:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I have no idea about bull audio dealers in Mumbai.
Old 17th September 2008, 20:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
The Lucent Series and the Carbon Series from Illusion Audio have bi-amp inputs which are shorted by default. It is a matter of removing a jumper to make it bi-ampable.

Other than that, you can make a very simple modification to any crossover to create bi-amping inputs.

For Bull Audio, it would be as simple as just connecting the concerned component in the path of the driver. If I remember correctly, its just a simple, single capacitor + coil type filter.
Old 17th September 2008, 22:17   #13
BHPian

None of the other brands' xovers have dual inputs AFAIK..

You can contact Bass&Trouble, he might be able to work out something wrt Illusions for you.. or else you'd have to stick with Hertz if you want to drive them off the HU only..
Old 17th September 2008, 22:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

pity hertz dieci's arent available any more - they would have done everything you want.
a DSk165 would have cost <6k, bi ampable ( with seperate crossovers for woofer and tweeter) , and 93 dB sensitivty!
Old 17th September 2008, 23:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
pity hertz dieci's arent available any more - they would have done everything you want.
a DSk165 would have cost <6k, bi ampable ( with seperate crossovers for woofer and tweeter) , and 93 dB sensitivty!
That 93 db sensitivity is all hype nothing else. I would suggest to audition stuff before buying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks